Tekker

Developing Free Music Software - Volunteers Wanted!

Tekker    1
If a drum app is too random/complicated, how about my idea above (:) ) where you use a metronome in the strumming app so you can change the tempo for praciticing...

If I add a strumming pattern to the chord progression generator, then I would definitely include a tempo option (or at least try to anyways :D).

along with the tempo setting and U/D audio indicators, you could possibly include random time signatures ie: 3/4, 4/4, 6/4, 6/8, 9/8, etc.

That's a great idea. I could have several common time signatures in a drop down list that you could choose from instead of making it random (that would be hard to account for that many different key signatures).

Great ideas everyone, keep them coming! :winkthumb:

-tkr

.... I could have several common time signatures in a drop down list that you could choose from instead of making it random (that would be hard to account for that many different key signatures)...-tkr

Uhhh yeah that's what I meant...really, I did, I kid you not :rolleyes:;) lol

Tekker    1

Thanks Eddie. Are you going to take part also?

I talked with my teacher some more today and he told me the project should be customer driven and that I need to get as much feedback from the users as possible and work off of that. So I told him some of the suggestions that I had gotten about tempo changes, time signatures, etc and he thought that was a "very good start".... Which sounds to me like he still wants more user input, either suggestions for features to add to the "song generator" and I'm also open to a completely new idea.

Another thing we talked about in class today is finding a "product champion", which is a single person who really, really wants this product to be built. They should have a good idea about what they want and then we are to work heavily with that one person. So basically this one person will play a big part in speaking for other users. I'll have to ask him about mine though, since my users are going to be online and it won't be person to person.

Thanks again everyone!

-tkr

cshude    0

Another idea- to take things a step further.

From the random chord generator as you pretty much have it now, how about the ability to drag/drop the chords around the pattern? It could be an excellent tool to generate song ideas and be able to immediately try them out. Not looking for a Band In A Box sort of program, but a quick-n-dirty, easy to use songwriting help.

Tekker    1

Ok, I finally have something for everyone to start testing.... That sure took long enough!! :D

Chord Progression Generator TEST v1.0:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/tekker/Chord%20Progression%20Generator_Testing_/Test_v1.0/ProgressionGenerator.html

For the time being "Generate" generates a new chord progression and also plays it via MIDI. New controls will eventually be added for the MIDI playback side so you can play the same progression again, pause it, change the tempo, MIDI sound, volume, etc...

Here is a quick and dirty MS Paint doodle of the new layout and functions I will be adding:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/tekker/Chord%20Progression%20Generator_Testing_/Background_2.JPG

As far a MIDI bugs the only one I know of right now (but haven't fixed yet) happens if you keep pressing the "New Extensions" buttons. Somehow it remembers the previous extension and adds the new one on top of it. So for example if you start with a Cm7 and you hit the "New Extension" button and the new chord says "Csus2" you will get the sus2 extension in addition to the m7 extension... And so on. So basically if you hit the button several times you will eventually wind up with all of the notes (1 through 9) turned on at the same time. LOL

So for now, instead of the "New Extension" button, use the "Generate" button to get a whole new progression. Now that I have all three modes (Diatonic, Chromatic, and Open Chords) playing the MIDI notes, I'll try to track down this strange extension bug.

If anyone finds any new bugs then let me know and the steps I need to take to recreate the bug.

Thanks! :)

-tkr

Tekker    1

The latest update is now uploaded.

Chord Progression Generator TEST v1.1:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/tekker/Chord%20Progression%20Generator_Testing_/Test_v1.1/ProgressionGenerator.html

BUGFIX: Fixed the compounding extensions error when using the "New Extensions" button.

NEW FEATURES: I added some buttons for MIDI play, pause, and stop. The pause button says "Pa..." because I made the button to small and it cut the text off. The button will have an image when it's finished but it works for testing for now.

-tkr

Tekker    1

Thanks Carol! :)

By the way, was this your first time getting it to work? I know you had problems getting the original progression generator to load. Did you ever get it worked out before just now? I'm just wondering if I did something different this time that made it work.... I don't think I did, but you never know. LOL :D

-tkr

johnnydoxx    28

Works great, I cringe at the amount of work that took.

Minor nit: 'completely' is misspelled on the button.

FYI: here's how it loads here: The Java logo appears for maybe 15 seconds, and then the page goes blank, and then about a minute later the graphics appear. Could be my Internet speed here in the boonies.

Congrats and hope the professor loves it too.

carol m    64

. Did you ever get it worked out before just now? I'm just wondering if I did something different this time that made it work.... I don't think I did, but you never know. LOL :D

-tkr

I think that originally the chord progression app crashed my mac. Then I couldn't get the app to work at all - just a blank screen but it didn't crash it. Then you changed something and I got the guitar image after quite a time to load. But I think I couldn't get sound before, just the picture. Now everything works fine.

I think you definitely did lots of clever things and......drum roll please James....... I just bought a brand new Dell pc with all the bells and whistles plus a warranty that means something this time. :helpsmili:oops: It has everything I need and was 'on special' with a $300 discount for the next 4 days - well, what's a person to do!

Tekker    1

Thanks everyone for checking it out.

johnnydoxx, good catch on the spelling error! That's exactly the kind of nitpicking I need. :thumbup:

I'm not sure why it takes so long to load, it goes white for about 10-15 seconds here (and I have high speed cable). It's done that ever since I added the image files, so I guess java applets aren't very fast at loading image files or something. When I run the program in my development software there is no wait time.

Yeah, my professor does love it. He plays mandolin so he understands chords and a little bit of music theory. I think he's almost as excited with my program as I am. :D

carol, that explains it. I thought maybe it was something I did, but if you got a new computer then I guess it wasn't me. lol

***** UPDATE *****

I fixed the spelling error and a couple other MIDI bugs I found.

Bug #1: Switching from major key to minor key or vice versa and pressing the "Play" button, the midi played the notes from the previous key as well.

(Ex. when a major chord changed to minor, the new chord had both “b3” & “3” in it)

Bug #2: The sus chords were also playing the "3" instead of removing it. I thought something sounded weird ever since I programmed the MIDI stuff but couldn't put my finger on it... This was the problem. :clap:

Chord Progression Generator TEST v1.2:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/tekker/Chord%20Progression%20Generator_Testing_/Test_v1.2/ProgressionGenerator.html

Thanks again,

-tkr

carol m    64

No Tekker, you definitely did something clever - I don't get the new computer for 14 days - I was using the same Mac as before.

Tekker    1
No Tekker, you definitely did something clever...

Ah, LOL! Well, I still don't know what I did, but I'll take it anyways. :lol::D

-tkr

Tekker    1

*** UPDATE ***

Chord Progression Generator TEST v1.3:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/tekker/Chord%20Progression%20Generator_Testing_/Test_v1.3/ProgressionGenerator.html

Changes:

-- Tempo slider

-- MIDI buttons now work for all three modes (Diatonic, Chromatic, and Open Chords)

-- Fixed various MIDI bugs

And a behind the scenes fix that I had to do was redo the entire GUI interface because the layout manager I was using before didn't lock the components so as I added new components the other components moved around (which you can in v1.2 going from Diatonic mode to Chromatic mode the bottom buttons move down slightly... this got much, much worse when I added the tempo slider) and the method I used before before to hold the components in place didn't seem to work this time. So I used absolute placement this time and fixed all the components to specific pixel locations so they aren't moving now. :D

This is the first version since adding MIDI that I think it's in a good usable state now. The play/pause/stop buttons all work (without bugs as far as I know lol) and you can change the tempo of the progression. Still lots more I want to do before my capstone project ends, but I'm very happy with where it is right now. :)

-tkr

eddiez152    129

It finally loaded up on my machine. Very neat Tekker. This is the first time I have had a chance to try it. :)

Great job Tekker and thanks for making it happen. Congrats on your project so far.

Tekker    1
It finally loaded up on my machine. Very neat Tekker. This is the first time I have had a chance to try it. :)

Great job Tekker and thanks for making it happen. Congrats on your project so far.

Thanks for checking it out Eddie, glad you got it working. :)

Carol said the same thing about getting it to work now, so I guess something I did in the process of working on it fixed whatever issue was there before... I just wish I knew what happened. lol

-tkr

eddiez152    129

All I can think of is that there was a problem with Java and loading into the Mac because it always went into cyberspace before.

Tekker    1

*** UPDATE ***

Chord Progression Generator TEST v1.4:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/tekker/Chord%20Progression%20Generator_Testing_/Test_v1.4/ProgressionGenerator.html

Changes:

-- Loop playback

-- Change instrument sound

-- Volume slider

Known Bug:

-- Loop playback does some really funky things if you use pause, change the instrument, or change the tempo while the progression is being looped. I know what is causing it, I just need to figure out how to fix it. These features should work fine as long as loop isn't enabled. Changing volume does work with loop playback though.

In the instrument list I included all 128 general MIDI instruments that you can choose from. I am also going to put a few push buttons underneath it that will do a "quick change" for some of the more general sounds for fast access rather than scrolling through the whole list every time. The ones I have decided on so far are:

#1 Piano

#25 Acoustc Guitar (nylon)

#27 Electric Guitar (jazz)

#31 Distortion Guitar

#50 String Ensemble 2

If anyone has any sounds they'd like to have a quick access push button for (synth pad?) let me know. I probably won't add more than one or two more depending on how much room I have.

My capstone presentation is this Tuesday, so we're getting down to the wire. There's also a new GUI in the works (courtesy of my mom again, who is the art/Photoshop wiz of the family! :winkthumb:) and I sure hope we can get it finished by Tuesday.

-tkr

Tekker    1

Thanks guys! :)

I'm finally finished with my capstone project. It went great and everyone (especially my teacher) loved it. My teacher/capstone adviser was almost as excited as I was to see it all finished. :D

My mom and I were actually able to get the entire interface finished and I absolutely LOVE the new look... I still can't believe we got it all done in time. There were a few little things I wanted to add for the presentation, but ran out of time.

So here is the latest update:

Chord Progression Generator TEST v2.0:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/tekker/Chord%20Progression%20Generator_Testing_/Test_v2.0/ProgressionGenerator.html

-tkr

carol m    64

That's amazing! The last time I looked there was only the guitar and some chords, and now look what happened! That is very, very coool. I give you a big red tick and a Koala stamp - the highest accolade in Oz. And... the housewife's tick of approval, which used to be the gold standard here. And no, I would not describe myself as a housewife - ever!

I have no idea how you did this, but it's very impressive. What's next - apart from a well deserved holiday?