Tekker

Church Recording Studio Build

I'm excited as to what a good wood floor will do!

Me too, especially on drums (yes, we are going to try to record drums in there... should be interesting... :D) because drums really benefit from hard wood flooring. I've heard of people putting plywood under the snare to simulate the sound from a hard wood floor.

I'm sure that if you still are dissatisfied that you could rig up some special absorption for vocals somewhere in the room.

We are going to be getting some foam acoustic panels to put up, so that will help tone down the room. Chris works at Musicans Friend and a guy he works with tunes studios for a living and has apparently been all over the world and worked on some pretty big studios. I'm also excited about that, because I want to be there when he does his thing. I know nothing about that kind of stuff and it almost seems like magic that you can know where to put a panel to get rid of certain frequencies that are ringing.

If he is as good as he seems to be, then I don't think we'll have to worry about adding more stuff to the room to get a good vocal sound. :winkthumb:

-tkr

Me too, especially on drums (yes, we are going to try to record drums in there... should be interesting... :D) because drums really benefit from hard wood flooring. I've heard of people putting plywood under the snare to simulate the sound from a hard wood floor.

We are going to be getting some foam acoustic panels to put up, so that will help tone down the room. Chris works at Musicans Friend and a guy he works with tunes studios for a living and has apparently been all over the world and worked on some pretty big studios. I'm also excited about that, because I want to be there when he does his thing. I know nothing about that kind of stuff and it almost seems like magic that you can know where to put a panel to get rid of certain frequencies that are ringing.

If he is as good as he seems to be, then I don't think we'll have to worry about adding more stuff to the room to get a good vocal sound. :winkthumb:

-tkr

Wow, it sounds like you are in very good hands (well, I already know that you are ;) but I mean sonically). Once the audiologist does his thing in the room he'll likely make a suggetion or two.

Yah, it just seems that that room is going to be too small to really get good drum sounds, but yah never know 'till ya try!

The recording studio is finally completed!

I just got the final pics tonight at practice:

Church Studio Build

That acoustics guy never came in and Chris put up the last of the panels when I wasn't there and unfortunately, put them in all the wrong places. lol Oh well, what are you gonna do? ;) They sure look cool though. :D

-tkr

That is a superb job and you must be very proud of yourselves. I was worried with the first pics that you did not seem to have enough big hammers on site, but you go round it somehow. I suppose the green and black stuff on the walls are accoustic tiles. How do you know where to put them? Congrats. I hope that this project serves its purpose, for you and the church.

Best wishes

Mike

I suppose the green and black stuff on the walls are accoustic tiles. How do you know where to put them?

The black stuff is Auralex acoustic foam and the green stuff is just the the wall paint. You don't necessarily want to have a completely dead room (not to mention, we didn't have nearly enough panels lol) so we left some of the bare wall.

At first we didn't know where to put the stuff, the very first day we went in kind of blind and did two of the walls in the recording room. On one of the walls we did the checker board pattern and did this funky pattern on another wall. So after that, I went onto the real traps website and did a lot of reading about acoustic treatment for small rooms to figure out the best places to put stuff. But for whatever reason Chris didn't seem to want to take their advice and since it was essentially his project (and his gear) he decided to do the rest of it on his own and did his own thing. :dunno:

As it turns out we did have the right idea for the checker board pattern, but that was only done on two of the walls in the recording room (we should have done that for all of the walls in the recording room). Everything in the control room except the bass traps in the corners were place wrong and aren't really doing much except looking cool.

I think I'm going to buy a box of the Auralex foam and treat my room at home. Doing all that reading on acoustics has REALLY inspired me to try to fix up the acoustics in my place. :winkthumb:

-tkr

...I think I'm going to buy a box of the Auralex foam and treat my room at home. Doing all that reading on acoustics has REALLY inspired me to try to fix up the acoustics in my place. :winkthumb:

-tkr

Hi Tekker--

You're so right about not completely covering the walls. The room has to have some sort of sonic character. I thought I'd take some shots of my recording room to maybe give you some ideas for your place. I sure wish I had a wood floor like you guys have at church. That may be my next improvement.

Studio 2010 1 just shows my monitors sitting on Auralex MoPads. It's good to decouple monitors from their surface so there is no resonating of the stands or table top.

In Studio 2010 2 it shows how I have two of my walls basically done. I have solid sections of 2" Auralex in approx. 7' x 4' areas around the middle of the wall and then the checkerboard pattern above that to the ceiling.

Studio 2010 3 shows a pic of a nice looking tetrahedon corner made of bass traps and a cube. This has really turned out to be a great thing for this room. I have a bass trap in all of the other wall/ceiling corners of the room. Basically, I didn't leave any corner in the room without some sort of diffusion/absorption. I have the 2" x 2" foam lining about half of the room at the wall/ceiling junctions.

Studio 2010 4 and 5 are more of the same.

Studio 2010 6 and 7 are a pattern that I put up on one wall which is opposite my monitors. I wanted to go for a solid section of coverage right there to try and dampen much of the slap back from the wall to make sure the sound from the monitors would reach my ears first. But above that is the same checkerboard type of pattern that I have two feet down from the ceiling on three of the walls.

Studio 2010 8 is a recording 'shell' I made that faces out into the room. It's made of four old 7' tall office dividers that I covered with 2" Auralex. I also made a celiing out of styrofoam that I also covered with the 2" Auralex. This basically just helps get the immediate slap echo from the room out of the mic's but yet attempts to get some of the room characteristic in the mic's.

I was like you. I read so much about all of it. The bottom line is that they say to get a little bit of all of it: absorption, diffusors and bass traps. Since I reached the end of my budget, I decided to use some of the Auralex foam that has sharp edges so as to act as a bit of diffusion as well as absorption! I don't know if it's working, but it looks cool :)

8732.attach

8733.attach

8734.attach

8735.attach

8736.attach

8737.attach

8738.attach

8739.attach

Wow, very nice studio sw! :thumbup:

I've been getting lots of ideas off of the real traps website. If you haven't checked it out already, there is a goldmine of information on there. :)

RealTraps - Home

-tkr

Yah, I just saw that site for the first time yesterday. Wow, that's a real good solution. Not cheap, but really perfect.

Yah, I just saw that site for the first time yesterday. Wow, that's a real good solution. Not cheap, but really perfect.

Yeah, it'd be nice to be able to afford that kind of sound treatment. In one of their videos they said they had $12k just in sound treatment in a home studio. :jawdrop:

They also have a bunch of acoustic articles, and these are what I've been looking through.

RealTraps - Acoustics Articles

-tkr

Yeah, it'd be nice to be able to afford that kind of sound treatment. In one of their videos they said they had $12k just in sound treatment in a home studio. :jawdrop:

They also have a bunch of acoustic articles, and these are what I've been looking through.

RealTraps - Acoustics Articles

-tkr

Thanks for the links, Tekker. It's been bookmarked!