Tekker

Church Recording Studio Build

Tekker    1

Hi all,

We just started construction today building a recording studio at my church in one of the side rooms off of the stage. Brian (our bassist) is a finishing carpenter and did an awesome job. Chris (guitarist) and I (drummer ;)) pitched in also and tried not to screw stuff up to bad.... Although, I'm not sure how successful we were as in the 30 minutes or so that it took Brian to go home and eat, we had the fire department at the church. :D Chris was trying to move the panels around to put the air duct in the control room instead of the recording room. In the process he also had to move the smoke detector and well.... it sort of went off. Brian showed back up after the fire truck got there and essentially said he was never leaving us unsupervised again. lol It was quite an interesting day.

Here are some pics I took of the build.

Church Studio Build

-tkr

Nutty    1

Wow, that's exciting! I'd love to have a recording studio in my home. Our church has a horrible sound system, so I'm sure a recording studio would be out of the question. :tongue_sm

Glad to see you are having so much fun with the project!

Annette

Tekker    1
I sure would like to see close up photo detail and descriptions of cabling for the studio!

You bet there will be pictures! :D The cabling is actually going to be pretty simple. We are going to drill a couple holes in the floor and run Chris' audio snake under the studio wall. We'll have to do the same for a power extension chord because the outlet is in the recording room and we'll need power in the control room also. We are also talking about getting a longer audio snake that will reach to the other side of the stage so we can record the baby grand piano.

Brian was working on it some more today, but I doing some recording at my house, so no construction pictures this time. But I'll get some of his progress at band practice tomorrow. I can't wait to see it!

-tkr

Tekker    1

More pictures up. I haven't been there anymore during the building, but I got pics of the progress. I didn't take my camera to practice tonight, but he's got even more done. Brain said everything should be done by tomorrow except for the hardwood floors (which he's having someone he works with do those in a couple weeks).

Church Studio Build

-tkr

thodwris    1

Hello Tekker...

Great pictures showing a great project!I think you guys are doing an excellent job with the studio.Sorry to hear about the little accident.The best of luck finishing the studio!!

All the best,

Theo

Tekker    1
Tekker--

This is so exciting. I'm happy for you guys.

Unfortunately I can't see the pics. Did the url expire or something??

Steve

I just checked and the link still works. Maybe it was down when you looked at it?

It's a good thing I uploaded these pics too otherwise they would have all gotten erased when my hard drive got wiped. I did loose all the other pics I took, as I just uploaded some of the best ones.

Brian actually ended up doing the floor himself so the hardwood floors are in but need the border around the edges. I didn't take the camera tonight, but I'll try to get more pics of it soon.

-tkr

solidwalnut    5

I'll try later, Tekker. I keep getting the 'Done but with errors' message on my work computer. Maybe I don't have the latest and greatest java or something.

Sorry to hear about your hd getting wiped. I hope you didn't lose a bunch of stuff.

Steve

solidwalnut    5
Wow, that's exciting! I'd love to have a recording studio in my home. Our church has a horrible sound system, so I'm sure a recording studio would be out of the question. :tongue_sm

Glad to see you are having so much fun with the project!

Annette

Speaking of church sound systems, I have a live-and-learn story.

I'm a worship leader, and I helped start a church plant. We're meeting in an elementary school mulit-purpose room. When I purchased all the sound equipment, I made sure to get a drum shield. I thought as anyone might that a drum kit inside a gymnasium would never sound good, would overwhelm the vocalists and the congregation, everyone uses a drum shield, etc., etc.

Well, the sheild is out for maintenance (everything's a consumable when you have to pack it up every Sunday!). The bass player is repairing it, and he forgot to bring it last Sunday (so we could just use it as the repair is in progress...).

We thought, uh-oh, it's going to sound like crap, the vocalists are going to be overwhelmed...

Nothing could have been further from the truth. The overall sound was much better balanced. The room is semi-treated, so that helped. No shield helped the drummer connect with the band better, naturally. The natural sound of the drums was much better for the vocalists and the drummer wasn't trying to kill it all the time. The overall drum sound was excellent. With a sheild, you can really lose alot of the natural ambiance, and it showed.

Each drummer is different, so we'll see how the other guy is in a couple of weeks.

So, tell your church sound people to experiment!!

Steve

Tekker    1

It's been a while since I've updated the website, but I've still been taking pics.

It's almost finished now and the desk and gear was moved in today. :clap:

Church Studio Build

All that's left is a little touch up work and the foam sound panels. :)

-tkr

thodwris    1

Way to go Sean!!A little more patience and yo will be all set!!I am very happy for you!!Keep up the good work and make sure to post some pictures when everything is in place!...

All the best,

Theo

Tekker    1
make sure to post some pictures when everything is in place!

Absolutely. :winkthumb:

The pastor wants me to put together a slide show of the pics I've taken so we can show it during the Sunday service this week. I'll try to get Chris (the electric guitarist at the church) to setup his laptop so I can get a pic of all the recording gear setup (all the gear in the pic is his).

Chris uses a Mac for recording, so I may get myself a cheap PC off craigslist so I can have something I'm comfortable working on in the studio... I'm not at all a fan of Mac recording software. ;)

-tkr

solidwalnut    5

Tekker--

I was finally able to view all the pics! How exciting this must be for you guys. I especially like the idea of the wood flooring. This is something I'm really considering for my studio.

All the best to you and the church!

Steve

Tekker    1

Thanks solidwalnut.

I am definitely excited to have a nice place to record in. My drum/music room that we built off the back of our house is far from an ideal recording environment. It'll be interesting to see just how much of a difference changing the room will make, especially in vocals as that's always the hardest thing to get just right. Chris has the exact same recording interface that I have (M-Audio Profire 2626) and I'll be using my mics so the only difference in sound will be from the room. I have some recordings I've done here since I got the Profire so I'll be able to do direct comparisons between them.

I can't wait!!! :yeahhh:

-tkr

solidwalnut    5
Thanks solidwalnut.

I am definitely excited to have a nice place to record in. My drum/music room that we built off the back of our house is far from an ideal recording environment. It'll be interesting to see just how much of a difference changing the room will make, especially in vocals as that's always the hardest thing to get just right. Chris has the exact same recording interface that I have (M-Audio Profire 2626) and I'll be using my mics so the only difference in sound will be from the room. I have some recordings I've done here since I got the Profire so I'll be able to do direct comparisons between them.

I can't wait!!! :yeahhh:

-tkr

Yah, direct comparisons are the only real tool. When there's other variables involved, it takes up too much of my brain power to sort it out. Are you going to have a vocal booth, or are you just recording in the room?

Tekker    1
Are you going to have a vocal booth, or are you just recording in the room?

We will just recording in the room. It's a fairly small room, so it's almost like a vocal booth. :D

-tkr

solidwalnut    5
We will just recording in the room. It's a fairly small room, so it's almost like a vocal booth. :D

-tkr

Yah, as you said: the vocals are the most important thing/hardest to capture right. It will be interesting to hear the difference between the two. I'm excited as to what a good wood floor will do! I'm sure that if you still are dissatisfied that you could rig up some special absorption for vocals somewhere in the room.