skinnybloke

Renovating an old favourite.

Did you put veneer on the end/top of the headstock or will you just laquer over the wood and hope it won't show? I can't imagine how you could get veneer into that fancy shape, but I couldn't imagine how well you've done the rest either. :)

Skinny , Fantastic work on that scalloping , was a little worried as I noticed in of the pics that one scallop appeared to be convex , but faith in you I had master . :)

i actually tried a less complicated fix up on an old sears model, just for looks. took me 4 days to get it looking good enough to put in the attic! a heck of alot of work your doing, kudo's to ya for even trying and i hope it sounds and looks better than ever!:smilinguitar:

Did you put veneer on the end/top of the headstock or will you just laquer over the wood

I'll just lacquer the end Carol, I've given it a sand and it looks fine.

Thanks Manta.

Thankyou Matt, I can't tell you how painful those scallops were.

Thanks Kenny

How to approach the finishing stage has been a bit of an issue!

The original finish was nitrocellulose lacquer and I'm adamant that the refinish will be Nitro. Problem is Nitro will not adhere to anything

that has a trace of silicone on it....

I'm pretty sure (positive) that the guitar has been cleaned with products containing "silicone" :( (Mr Sheen is your enemy), so I can't just do a grain fill and spray the nitro on. I had

to find something that will stick to the silicone polluted wood AND will also adhere a nitrocellulose coating to it.

It seems the only thing that will do this, and still retain some of the original tonal qualities is "shellac".... good old french polish.

My plan now is to give the guitar 2 coats of very thin shellac as a sealer, then a grain fill, sand, another coat of shellac, then finish with 8 to 10 "very" light coats of nitro lacquer.

If I stuff this bit up I probably won't know it for a couple of years, so anybody with experience in this area can feel very free to chip in with advice.

I've found the nitro in oz, just got to get a LVHP spray gun to apply it.

My little bag of shellac flakes....

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

Nice project Neil and good work. Seems that I saw a "build your own guitar" project on YouTube where the guy used French Polish on his guitars. I'll see if I can find it again.

I did a little fretboard cleaning during the week, if you ever refinish a guitar leave this bit till after you've coated the top, I ended up with black ebony dust all over the cedar top.

In the first pic you can see what a difference 20 seconds of scraping makes, I'll steel wool it later.

If you look closely you can also see how worn some of the frets are....

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

The weekend...:yeahhh:

I've masked the area where the bridge goes and applied 6 coats of french polish as a sealer..

IMG_1442.jpg

There's a bit of a knack to doing this, I went through 36 4inch x 4 inch cotton rag applicators doing this bit. You have to coat the purflings and bindings with a clean applicator first, otherwise the light bits will get stain pollution from the dark bits. I can't believe how red my rag was

after one wipe on the rosewood. This was the third coat of polish, not a colour you would want on your cedar or spruce top :(

rosewood.jpg

The backs looking good already, it's a pity I have to sand it all away..

IMG_1444.jpg

Here's a problem I have to deal with real soon..

IMG_1439.jpg

It looks like a router tear out. I never noticed it till I had sanded all the laquer off, there's another one in the top waist :( the factory did a really good job of disguising them....hope I can do the same.

That tortoise shell binding is starting to look real good.

I'm seriously thinking of giving the lacquer a miss, and giving the guitar a french polish finish....Dunno!

Thanks Chris....I enjoy doing this stuff (apart from sanding:isaynothing: )

Keep calm skinny - imaginary downers are winging their way.

LOL Carol...... I'm OK now, I've had my happy pill:yes:

Been playing with colour matching and trying to learn how to french polish during the week, all very frustraing.

I've stained the peghead veneer to match the neck as best I can. A litle bit more work to be done on the slots, but getting there...

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

Filled a ding in the top with superglue, gave it an hour and sanded it back flush to the top.... superglues great stuff.

IMG_1462.jpg

Stuck on the "stick on" rosette, major drama here...after cutting it perfectly to fit it "grew" when I put it in the water and I had to

trim it whilst it was wet..they're slippery little buggers.

You can still see the ding, to the right of the rosette, but it's level with the top. After I've done with the polishing they will hopefully both blend into the background.

IMG_1473.jpg

Can you explain about the rossette? Did you buy it from Maton, and if so, what did you have to cut? I assume they said you had to soak it in water and not just make the sticky side wet? And why didn't it shrink again when it dried out on the guitar?

That's weird! Somehow page 1 and 2 have got reversed. I'm not sure how to fix that, and I have to go and do other stuff right now. I'll check back later and see if someone else has fixed it.

edit today: I was a little confused, just ignore me.

lookin good Skinny, you're doing a fine job , very impressed.

Oh..and..umm..I'm only an hr from the island.... in case...you know... you need some one to help...umm... test how it sounds.:D :D

LOL Carey...We both are!

Thanks Karcey, Doug, Carol and Kid.

Carol, no the rosette didn't come from Maton (they haven't had them for years), they did send me a "router in" rosette but it was too hard to set up a router jig that followed the shape of the top.

The original was a decal under the finish and I decided to stick :) with that.

It's just one of those transfers that come on backing paper, cut it to size and soak the decal in water to get it off the paper.

They develop a mind of their own after being seperated from the backing paper!

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

I searched ebay, googled world wide and could not find rosette stickers any where!

Annie kept saying "ring the guitar shop" (we live in a very small town, there's no way he's gonna have them).

Eventually I called the local shop, guy answers..."rosette stickers? yea! I got some in the bottom drawer".

You should have seen the smug look on Annie's face:tongue:

He didn't even charge me for them. C Mark music Wonthaggi :winkthumb:

I sanded the shellac fill coats down and did some french polishing last night.

My little pad for applying it, a lump of gauze wrapped in a bit of old t shirt...

IMG_1479.jpg

Add shellac....

IMG_1490.jpg

A little drop of olive oil...

IMG_1491.jpg

And a lot of elbow grease...

IMG_1501.jpg

Repeat 120 times. :)

This is how it looked this morning...

IMG_1512.jpg

That was about 2 hours work, I'll have to do that 6 or 7 more times...If nothing goes wrong!

Wow Skinny in that last shot she is looking like a true beauty , you'll have in play in sunnies if you do more than six coats.

Really like the rosette you obtained nice understated not trying to hard look about it .

Keep up the good work , as I have mentioned before really enjoying this thread , keep posting those pics and we don't want to hear any complaints about sore wrists elbows ect from all that polishing.:winkthumb: