hb

guitar to amp to computer?

I've tried not to waste anyone's time and have read through SEVERAL of the posts on this issue, but everytime I think I've found the answer, I find something that takes me back to square one again, so I'll just ask.......One of the first things that Tekker said on recording was, be careful what you plug into your computer!! i.e. things powered by 110 volts,(I think that's what he meant). So if I have an acoustic guitar and want some effects from a small amp, such as chorus or reverb,...... can one,... or how does one, go from the guitar, to the amp, to the computer????

thanks in advance,

hb

first off, you need a pickup of some kind either soundhole or mic to get your sound into the amp then you will need audio out on your amp to get the signal to your pc. to me this is just too much of a hassle dealing with noise ect. you can spend around 200 bucks and have a better sounding setup than you can achieve the other way. i suggest get yourself a decent soundhole pickup and an external soundcard that connects to your 2.0 usb port and reaper. line 6 makes a good recording soundcard called the ux1, comes bundled with more effects than you'll need for bout 150 bucks... if you want more info on it let me know, i use one and can give you the scoop... good luck:winkthumb:

first off, you need a pickup of some kind either soundhole or mic to get your sound into the amp then you will need audio out on your amp to get the signal to your pc. to me this is just too much of a hassle dealing with noise ect. you can spend around 200 bucks and have a better sounding setup than you can achieve the other way. i suggest get yourself a decent soundhole pickup and an external soundcard that connects to your 2.0 usb port and reaper. line 6 makes a good recording soundcard called the ux1, comes bundled with more effects than you'll need for bout 150 bucks... if you want more info on it let me know, i use one and can give you the scoop... good luck:winkthumb:

Thanks for the info....but back to square one....I should have mentioned that my acoustics are acoustic/electric, so that part I have. Is there a way to connect the amp directly to the computer in a safe manner? I realize that all amps are a little different....just looking for options, if there is any. I noticed that one of my amps has an outlet named, "headphones/line out" on it. I have been using it for my headphones. Would this jack work? Definitely don't want to fry my computer!

thanks,

hb

hb

yeah that jack will work, you may have to get an adapter of some type for your input on your pc though. after that you will have to select the input jack you use "line in" usually has better results than "mic in", this should be located in sound properties...

One of the first things that Tekker said on recording was, be careful what you plug into your computer!! i.e. things powered by 110 volts,(I think that's what he meant).

Hi hb,

110 volts isn't what I was referring to, "powered" in this case refers to "powered outputs" and it means that the outputs are high power for driving speakers. Anything that is meant to plug directly into speakers is what you DO NOT want to plug into your computer. You may hear of PA mixers that are powered mixers, this doesn't mean 110V as all mixers are powered by 110V, but it means that the main outputs from the mixer can be used to drive speakers without a power amp.

If your amp has a connection that says "speaker" on it, then that is meant for a guitar cab and you DO NOT want to plug that into your computer. But other connections like line out, headphones, FX send, insert, are all a low power level called "line level" and those are all find to plug into your computer.

Hope that helps.

-tkr