carol m

External Editor in Reaper?

carol m    64

If I try to name a track in Reaper, I double click on the area with numbers.wav at the start of each track and I get the message "External Editor - No external editor set for this media (see Preferences)".

When I go to Preferences > External Editor which has a Browse option to find an editor and it takes me to My Documents or similar with the save optoin at the bottom of that window .exe so I have to find an exe file.

What does all that mean, please?

REAPER provides support for two external editors, per file extension, that can be called using the Open Items with editor function. This allows you to edit Items outside of REAPER, while maintaining the position of the Item in the Timeline.

• Click the Add button to launch the Editor Configuration window.

• Enter the file extension for the type of file you wish to edit (e.g. wav for Wave files, mid for MIDI files)

• Browse to the location of the desired Primary Editor program, then click OK to confirm your choice. • Browse to the location of the desired Secondary Editor program, then click OK to confirm your choice.

The selected program(s) will now be available via the Open Items with editor function.

If the double-click Mouse behavior has been set to Opens item in editor, the Primary Editor will open when double-clicking on an Item.

Main Page > REAPER Documentation > Preferences

Retrieved from "http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Preferences_External_Editors"

Categories: REAPER | Preferences | Editor

ViewsView Online VersionDiscussionEdit Online VersionHistory

skinnybloke    4

Carol, to rename the "Take" ...Right click on the track (numbers.wav).....Left click Item properties....Highlight "Take name"....Type whatever you want to call it (Make sure sure it still has a .wav extension).

I renamed the take below....Guitar.wav.

carol1.jpg

To name a track....(What appears on the console)...Double click about an inch to the right of the track Number....A cursor should appear, and you can enter a track description.

carol2.jpg

carol m    64

Thanks for replying Manta. Why can't I just double click where there are the numbers.wav at the start of the track and it changes to a space where I can type the name of the track right there in Reaper?

I don't think I want to have to leave Reaper in order to name each track. And...I don't know what an External Editor is. What is an example of an external editor, do they mean Word or Notepad or something?

Yes, I haven't a clue what I'm doing in Reaper when it comes to doing something more complicated that recording a track and adding some chorus or something. :)

carol m    64

Excellent skinny! I was double clicking too close to the number of the track. That was the main thing I wanted.

However when I right click at the track numbers.wav the drop down menu does have 'take' and that opens to a menu but there is no choice given related to naming in that menu.

carol m    64

Brilliant yet again skinny! Thanks for taking the trouble to do that. I need to do some heavy duty homework in Reaper. I know Reapercan do anything you want, but working out how takes a bit of work.

Do you remember when I couldn't work out why my mic wasn't picking up any sound when it was propped up in a coffee cup about 1 metre to the right of the guitar? That was only about 18 months ago. :D