steve0356

Electric Guitar Options

steve0356    0

What should I look for in a guitar that will only be played with a slide and only for the blues.

maybe a wider neck? Should the guitar scale length or neck length be long or short?

How about pickups any one considered better then the other.

Is there a guitar out there that is not considered a good regular guitar but for some reason it sounds good played with a slide.

I know you all have opinions about this so lest hear them

Thanks guys

Sentry    0

I can't really answer most of those questions, but I suggest you think of what slide guitar player has the sound you like most and get a guitar similar to the one he or she plays. Like Bonnie Raitt's (or Kirk's) sound? Get a Strat (or other single coil guitar with a 25.5" scale). Like Johnny Winter's sound? Look for a Gibson (or other guitar with humbuckers and a 24.75" scale).

By the way, I doubt that neck width has much to do with playing slide versus playing without a slide. I could be wrong, but I think that it's all down to what fits your hand regardless of whether you play slide or not.

SprayTech    0
Does anyone happen to know what John Lee Hooker's favorite guitar is?

I looked on google and every picture or video , he's playing a gibson hollow body , an ES335 by the looks of it .

bugly    0

from the wiki

( Ephinone) Sheraton and Sheraton II were the main guitars used by blues legend John Lee Hooker. Epiphone introduced a signature John Lee Hooker Sheraton and Sheraton II in 2000, the year before his death.

According to the article its also Noel Gallaghers axe too.

Cheers

I have 9 electric gittars and I've tried every one of 'em with a slide on my pinky. I think ya can do okay on most of them. I haven't bothered to raise the action on any of them and ain't planning to, but some sliders do.

As far as gittars that aren't really all that great but are decent slide gittars...Danoelectro gittars come to mind (no offense to any Dano owners). Some of them have the lipstick tube p'ups and there are those who like the sound of 'em.

I like the way Doyle Bramhall's LP Jr sounds for a slide tone...

I looked on google and every picture or video , he's playing a gibson hollow body , an ES335 by the looks of it .

Just about dead right on that one Spray Tech, although I do have footage of him using a telecaster on a couple of songs. ( I know it threw me for a loop too.)

and as for the "best" guitar to play slide guitar on, well son, no one can really tell you which guitar is right to play slide on, we could spend all day telling you our personal preferences, but just because it's what we use doesn't mean it's right for you. It's just like picking out your first guitar all over again, to be honest you should just use the one you're most comfortable with. On a side note: if you haven't played slide that much you may want to get a cheaper guitar to hone your skills on before you start on the more high dollar axes, save you a lot by way of cash and heart ache.