- - - - -

Help with a chord progression

4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:52 PM

I'm working on some lead parts for a progression that goes like this...
Gm Dm Gm Dm Cm A Cm A
The modulates up to...
Am Em Am Em Dm Em Dm Em

I just playing G Dorian mostly for the Gm Dm part but it's fairly quick paced around 100bpm and each chord getting 2 beats so not a lot of time to switch back and forth between the chord tones of Cm and A. I could just rock it over to playing out of A but looking for something that fits a little better.
On the second progression I'm playing mostly Am pent up to the Em Dm section then trying to hit home on those chord tones.
Thanks
Exotic is just people talk for awesome...which you are!

#2 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

Although now that I'm looking at it, I guess I could just play out of B and be alright as well, making sure that I turn the Dm dom and the A dim. It's sometimes hard to think about these things on the fly. But let me know what you guys would do with it just the same.

#3 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:47 PM

Random Robot said:

Although now that I'm looking at it, I guess I could just play out of B and be alright as well, making sure that I turn the Dm dom and the A dim. It's sometimes hard to think about these things on the fly. But let me know what you guys would do with it just the same.
Reading back over this and realized I left out the b after the B. Sorry that should read Bb.

#4 OFFLINE   RockaBilly

• Active Members
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 15-January 06

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:06 AM

Gm is relative to Bb so they have the same notes but the tonics are different. In Gm, Dm will be dominant and A will be diminished like you said but you don't have to make 'em so, it's there already. They're all in the notes of the scale.

When you modulate (key change) from Gm to Am you shifted the whole shebang up two frets, right? :)

#5 OFFLINE   DG3

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 19-December 09

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:06 AM

RockaBilly said:

Gm is relative to Bb so they have the same notes but the tonics are different. In Gm, Dm will be dominant and A will be diminished like you said but you don't have to make 'em so, it's there already. They're all in the notes of the scale.

When you modulate (key change) from Gm to Am you shifted the whole shebang up two frets, right? :)

right on

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users