mantablueraider

your favorite acoustic

carol m    64

You asked earlier about Tanglewoods. They have a good reputation and I have bought one, but I was limited by needing left hander. After a lot of searching I found a store with 2 left-handers - both of the Tanglewoods I'd been considering. I tried the two, the cedar top and the spruce top, which was a bit more expensive. I was frankly disappointed with the cedar top compared with my Takamine cedar top (which I had taken with me for comparison). Mainly because it was small and looked 'cheap' to me, and I didn't think I could live with that. I also didn't have a lot of time as it was late in the day and the salesman was hovering. I also knew I just had to buy something - in fact almost anything left-handed in my price range. And because of the limited choice I could only choose between that one and the spruce top.

I'm reasonably happy with the Tanglewood and it's improving its tone with being played, but I need to get the action raised (amazingly) or at least the fret heights checked to clean up the sound - I don't think it's just my poor technique.

Here's a comparison review: Tanglewood TW15 & TW45 Guitars - Check 1,2

I find the spruce top a bit bright, or maybe just a bit thin in tone compared with my cedar Takamine, but for the price (and lack of finding a Takamine left hander of any sort other than entry level) it's pretty good.

You asked earlier about Tanglewoods. They have a good reputation and I have bought one, but I was limited by needing left hander. After a lot of searching I found a store with 2 left-handers - both of the Tanglewoods I'd been considering. I tried the two, the cedar top and the spruce top, which was a bit more expensive. I was frankly disappointed with the cedar top compared with my Takamine cedar top (which I had taken with me for comparison). Mainly because it was small and looked 'cheap' to me, and I didn't think I could live with that. I also didn't have a lot of time as it was late in the day and the salesman was hovering. I also knew I just had to buy something - in fact almost anything left-handed in my price range. And because of the limited choice I could only choose between that one and the spruce top.

I'm reasonably happy with the Tanglewood and it's improving its tone with being played, but I need to get the action raised (amazingly) or at least the fret heights checked to clean up the sound - I don't think it's just my poor technique.

Here's a comparison review: Tanglewood TW15 & TW45 Guitars - Check 1,2

I find the spruce top a bit bright, or maybe just a bit thin in tone compared with my cedar Takamine, but for the price (and lack of finding a Takamine left hander of any sort other than entry level) it's pretty good.

thanks carol for sharing your thoughts on the tanglewood. i've read good things about them but mostly bang for your buck kinda stuff.

eddiez152    129

Spray,

Good point, however, I do very much like my Huss and Dolton. Although it has not learnt all the songs yet, I am teaching it as fast as I can. By now I think its potty trained. :)

My next choice is my Taylor GS.

However I do have some down the line which i would consider dumber than a box of rocks.

Eddie , my guitars I have bought are all dumber then a box of rocks !!! :)

I actually prefer mine dumb! That way they can't critique my playing style and tell me how much of a bad player I am. :lol: