mantablueraider

your favorite acoustic

hi all,

it's time i take a step up to a good acoustic guitar. unfortunately i will have to work my butt off to get one.. "tough times"... not as young as i used to be and i plan to get the most for my money. here's what i'm looking for....

dreadnought body

decent but not overly adorned looks

sounds good fingerpicked or strummed

solid woods

prefer rosewood tone

i have played the martins "too trebelly"

taylors are nice but jeeze! expensive!

the larrivee' sounds unbelievable but has become another overpriced guitar.

there are many i haven't played and don't have access to unless i travel long distances, like the guilds and takamines...i'm sure many of you know acoustics inside and out and i'm hoping to tap into your reserves here so thanks in advance for sharing your opinions and your suggestions!:)

I picked up a Breedlove Roots series dreadnought in March and I love it and it has gotten many compliments from people who play Martins and Taylors. It plays great and sounds great, nice and balanced across the spectrum.

I've also heard some very good things about the Epiphone masterbuilt series which has everything you're looking for in the $600.00 to $800.00 range

I picked up a Breedlove Roots series dreadnought in March and I love it and it has gotten many compliments from people who play Martins and Taylors. It plays great and sounds great, nice and balanced across the spectrum.

I've also heard some very good things about the Epiphone masterbuilt series which has everything you're looking for in the $600.00 to $800.00 range

thanks jimbo, i'll checkem' out.... i'm up to bout a thousand max. for it...

I like cedar tops although they aren't that common. Try and find one to see if you like the sound. Mine is a mid-level Takamine and I love the warm mellow sound it gives.

Seagulls have some nice affordable ones and Samick Greg Bennett line. Guild American made DV6 is all solid woods, spruce and rosewood, some nice ones on ebay right now.

I'm in the same boat. I getting more into country and I need an accoustic. I'd like to stay in the $250 to $350 range for one. Someone mentioned above the mid-level Takamine and I played one yesterday at GC. It has the cedar top and really sounds awesome. No pick guard though, so I'm on the fence. Also, it seemed like the action was pretty high because it took some force to fret the strings. Is it possible to lower the action on an accoustic like you can for an electric? If that was possible, it might be my front-runner.

Also, I played a Seagull that was about $350 that was really good sounding. I didn't know much about them so I thought I would ask and see what everyone's opinion of them are.

Sorry....not trying to take over the thread...:dunno:

I like cedar tops although they aren't that common. Try and find one to see if you like the sound. Mine is a mid-level Takamine and I love the warm mellow sound it gives.

I typically like a Brighter sounding acoustic with the exception of the cedar. Those are great guitars.

I have two Simon and Patrick acoustics; a six and twelve string. They are made by Seagull. I thought I would upgrade to a Seagull one day. I finally found some Seagull's at a guitar shop, but still liked my S&P better. I think they were around $500-$600.

Annette

I absolutly love my Alvarez. I got it on Ebay for around $400, (new on MusiciansFriend around $1199) It's the MD90C, has a great electronics system and the best neck you'll ever put your hands on. I think you can still get a pretty good Alvarez for around $400 or $500.

I have a great little grand concert size Guild I just got, spruce and rosewood ASW, about $650. So being the newest toy, it is now my go-to guitar. I had a Martin D16 dread I liked but sold to finance an archtop. Tons of nice solid wood, or at least solid top acoustics out there now, times are good, my brother. Find a good brand name from a reputable dealer that fits your style and budget and don't get too hung up on certain makes. Enjoy the search, good luck.

All 3 of my acoustics are finds that I somehow got really good deals on just by constantly searching.

Guild DCE5 6 string: Very nice IMOP. I think I paid around $650 for it. I play this one about 3-4 times a week.

Guitar info:

Acoustic-electric, D-size with cutaway, solid spruce top, laminated rosewood sides and back, 14-fret mahogany neck, 20-fret ebony fingerboard with dot inlays, 1-3/4" nut width, 25-1/2" scale, ebony bridge, w-b-w-b-w-bound top and back, black pickguard, black peghead overlay with pearloid "GUILD" logo and "chesterfield" inlay, gold Grover Rotomatic tuners, factory Fishman Prefix onboard blender pickup / mic / preamp system, with OHSC. Made in USA RI

Seagull S12 12 String: Not bad. I bought this one for around $200. My Alvarez was in the shop and I was going through 12 string withdrawls real bad, so I got this to ease the pain.

It's an 1989 Seagull (12). It has a laminated wild cherry body, a mahogany neck, and a rosewood fingerboard and bridge. The Seagull (12) was available either with a solid cedar or a solid spruce top. I have the cedar top.

When I got it, the action was kinda high for my taste, but it worked out for the time being. I recently just got it back from the shop where the action was lowered, new frets, pro set up and all was done. It plays real nice now, but no where near as good as my Alvarez.

Alvarez Silver Aniversary 12 string: My favorite acoustic. Had a ton of work done on it and it all paid off. It's a dream to play. I picked this one up for about $450 and have invested at least $1000 into it. With the amount of money I dumped into it, I'm sure I could have just bought a nice high end 12 string, but when you have a guitar that you love, money is basically no option when it comes to repair.

Some info on the guitar.

2551 ROSEWOOD - dreadnaught style, solid spruce top, round soundhole, 5 stripe bound body, abalone rosette, rosewood back/sides, mahogany neck, 14/20 fret rosewood fingerboard with pearl diamond inlay, rosewood bridge with white black dot pins, rosewood veneer on bound peghead with Silver Anniversary inlay, 6 per side chrome tuners. Disc. 1997.

thanks everybody for your inputs... i have done a great deal of research on guitars since i started to play bout 2 years ago, but i just can't get my hands on some. guilds appeal to me, like the looks. alvarez is another... i have an epiphone electric and never really considered one for acoustic until jimbo mentioned the masterbilt series.. reviews are great for these! so many choices :brickwall:

If you like the Guilds, look for them in this order

1. Westerly R.I. or Hoboken NJ built

2. Tacoma Wa. built. They're nice American mades at good prices. The GAD series is a Chinese import they do for the price point.

Shonie 777, nice stable of guitars.

If you like the Guilds, look for them in this order

1. Westerly R.I. or Hoboken NJ built

2. Tacoma Wa. built. They're nice American mades at good prices. The GAD series is a Chinese import they do for the price point.

Shonie 777, nice stable of guitars.

thanks for the maker location info... is the oversea maker less reliable on quality? or are they using inferior materials or both... my epi was made in china, cosmetically you can tell, but i've been wailing on it for a while and it's doing great... i've heard china can be iffy on workmanship but korea the exact opposite.. what have you heard or better yet seen? edit.. i see your point now, it seems fender bought guild and moved production to california and china... thanks so much for the heads up, would have been extremely disappointed with a fender made chinese guild! now for a serious quest. has guild gone downhill? am i better off buying a used guild made before the takeover?

thanks for the maker location info... is the oversea maker less reliable on quality? or are they using inferior materials or both... my epi was made in china, cosmetically you can tell, but i've been wailing on it for a while and it's doing great... i've heard china can be iffy on workmanship but korea the exact opposite.. what have you heard or better yet seen? edit.. i see your point now, it seems fender bought guild and moved production to california and china... thanks so much for the heads up, would have been extremely disappointed with a fender made chinese guild! now for a serious quest. has guild gone downhill? am i better off buying a used guild made before the takeover?

Guild was started by Epi employees not happy with the Gibson buy up of Epi. Started here on the east coast and, I am told by knowledgable people, some of their best instuments came out of those places in the 70's and 80's. My CV-C1 is Tacoma made and I find nothing lacking. The GADs I have not really looked into in a serious manner, just prefer American If I can get it. My next should be a D50 or DV6 dread, I miss not having a big acoustic to reach for.

Guild was started by Epi employees not happy with the Gibson buy up of Epi. Started here on the east coast and, I am told by knowledgable people, some of their best instuments came out of those places in the 70's and 80's. My CV-C1 is Tacoma made and I find nothing lacking. The GADs I have not really looked into in a serious manner, just prefer American If I can get it. My next should be a D50 or DV6 dread, I miss not having a big acoustic to reach for.
yes, i've been looking at the dv6 also. likewise i am a little concerned about workmanship of guild since fender swallowed them up and moved ship. did not know guild was started by epi employees and gibson owns epi now. whew. sounds like a soap opera! really appreciate your input, learning more every day:winkthumb:

Well. like I said, my cv lacks nothing quality wise. One of my best friends owns a vintage guitar shop and his personal choices when he plays are the east coast Guilds I mentioned. Even the new Tacoma made match up very well with anything in their price range. Hope you find something you'll be happy with for a long time.

Well. like I said, my cv lacks nothing quality wise. One of my best friends owns a vintage guitar shop and his personal choices when he plays are the east coast Guilds I mentioned. Even the new Tacoma made match up very well with anything in their price range. Hope you find something you'll be happy with for a long time.
hey thanks, i stopped in a fender dealer over the weekend and they had no guilds, "i'm on the east coast" so i asked the guy if he could get one, he said no. i asked why and he said they used to carry guild but they dropped them because of quality issues "had to send too many back". but he did mention they are trying to get them back these days so maybe things are improving for guild. you would think i would be turned off by all the news but i got a gut feeling on them so i'm going to travel to check some out soon.

I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned Blueridge yet. :dunno:

Well at least I'm here to represent them.. :winkthumb:

They are awesome guitars - no doubt, and they have a wide variety of models that can fit just about anyone's budget. They all sound great. To read personal (and i'm sure biased opinions on them) you can go to: The Unofficial Bluerdige Guitar Forum

A reputable dealer that sells them if you can't find any locally:

Martin Guitars, Blueridge Guitars, Guitar Parts

And if you want to compare them with Martins, although I did read you thought Martin's were too trebly? Perhaps just the ones in your price range? Here's a side-by-side comparison of the Blueridges:

Blueridge vs. Martin Comparison Chart

I own a Blueridge BR-160A and it is my absolute favorite guitar, coming in just short of the thousand dollar prices. :yes:

I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned Blueridge yet. :dunno:

Well at least I'm here to represent them.. :winkthumb:

They are awesome guitars - no doubt, and they have a wide variety of models that can fit just about anyone's budget. They all sound great. To read personal (and i'm sure biased opinions on them) you can go to: The Unofficial Bluerdige Guitar Forum

A reputable dealer that sells them if you can't find any locally:

Martin Guitars, Blueridge Guitars, Guitar Parts

And if you want to compare them with Martins, although I did read you thought Martin's were too trebly? Perhaps just the ones in your price range? Here's a side-by-side comparison of the Blueridges:

Blueridge vs. Martin Comparison Chart

I own a Blueridge BR-160A and it is my absolute favorite guitar, coming in just short of the thousand dollar prices. :yes:

now you had to go and make things complicated again! j/k... i have checked them out though but like most, i can't get my hands on some to try em' out.. i guess i should have said not enough bass for me instead of too trebelly. i've played martins like i've mentioned and don't get me wrong they sound awsome, just not what i want. "though i haven't tried a rosewood". it's tough making a decision when playing them first isn't very practical, though i may take a few trips but i'm still limited to what they have in stock at the time. so to an extent, your guys opinions is a big part of the narrowing process and i appreciate any opinions. :yes:

Remember, a lot of dealers find "Quality issues" with whatever you want but they don't have in inventory to sell you that day.
actually dee, i have been in that store a few times over the last couple of years just wishing you know. never seen a guild in there, just fenders martins and ovations.:dunno: and yeah, i know what your saying. to be honest i haven't bought anything from those guys "kind of a guitar dentist office atmosphere there" they prefer you don't touch before you buy and throw up their noses every time you reach for one. i know a smalltime gibson dealer who handed me a 3000 dollar gibson acoustic 3 seconds after i walked in, then left the store to go upstairs "to his apartment" for something. he wasn't gone long but lets just say i spent 700 dollars there that day and got a free gibson t shirt to boot! played my first larrivee' there. didn't have a rosewood but that mahogany was sweet...

Yeah, I too, took a chance with my Blueridge as no dealer carried it locally and so I ordered off the internet - however, I was not let down. :smilinguitar: My guitar rocks. I absolutely love it. haha.

And is there a specific wood tone your going for? My Blueridge has the solid Adirondack top with Rosewood back and sides and it produces a killer (super awesome) tone.

The guitars you tried, how new were the strings? If it's been sitting a while, they'll sound dead.

My next acoustic will most likely be a Taylor as they are on the other end of the spectrum as far as tone goes. But I am 1000% satisfied and would always recommend a Blueridge to anyone in search of a quality acoustic. The construction, finish, binding, and overall quality of these guitars are outstanding. :leadguitar:

Yeah, I too, took a chance with my Blueridge as no dealer carried it locally and so I ordered off the internet - however, I was not let down. :smilinguitar: My guitar rocks. I absolutely love it. haha.

And is there a specific wood tone your going for? My Blueridge has the solid Adirondack top with Rosewood back and sides and it produces a killer (super awesome) tone.

The guitars you tried, how new were the strings? If it's been sitting a while, they'll sound dead.

My next acoustic will most likely be a Taylor as they are on the other end of the spectrum as far as tone goes. But I am 1000% satisfied and would always recommend a Blueridge to anyone in search of a quality acoustic. The construction, finish, binding, and overall quality of these guitars are outstanding. :leadguitar:

glad you got a good one! actually i have a solid top ibanez that everyone says sounds great but it just doesn't sit there and make me drool anymore... i've gotten to a point where its time to move on. i do a lot of fingerpicking and bass at low octaves is what i crave, sweet sounding guitars are what i like. rosewood back and sides with cedar or spruce top. :yes: