Tekker

New Computer for Recording Suggestions

Man, I just can't seem to catch a break with this computer stuff, now that I'm finally ready to order everything the processor is a deactivated item on newegg. :brickwall:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

What are some other good reliable companies to order from? I wanted to keep everything with newegg, but now I guess I have to look elsewhere for the processor.

I checked on microcenter and they don't seem to carry the Q6600 and zipzoomfly is out of stock as is several others I've looked at.

-tkr

Man, I just can't seem to catch a break with this computer stuff, now that I'm finally ready to order everything the processor is a deactivated item on newegg. :brickwall:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

What are some other good reliable companies to order from? I wanted to keep everything with newegg, but now I guess I have to look elsewhere for the processor.

I checked on microcenter and they don't seem to carry the Q6600 and zipzoomfly is out of stock as is several others I've looked at.

Tekker--

If you really want the Q6600, try the Intel site. Here's a link to the Q6600 product page. Just click on the Buy Now button and it shows links to two places: Arrow and Avnet.

But if you want to keep it all Newegg, why not just get any of these processors?

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Yes, the Wolfdale is 'only' a dual core, but it's a good step forward. And for the price, you could run it for a year or so and then get something else.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

This is a great price for a quad core. Here are the specs at the Intel site.

Q8200 Specs

And this is the link to the product specs page so you can compare different processors.

Intel Product Specs

Have fun with this!

Steve

After googling the the Q6600 vs the Q8200 the Q6600 appears to be the better of the two, so I guess I'll just keep looking and see if I can find one somewhere.

I still can't believe this, it was there just just a few days ago and then as soon as I'm ready to order, it's gone. So lame! :thumbdown

-tkr

I finally found one on thenerds.net (they had ONE in stock) and they had good reviews, so I bought it. It was $30 more than on newegg with the shipping costs, but at least I got one.... Well, hopefully I did, because after I bought it they still show one in stock, so hopefully someone didn't already beat me to it. :mad:

-tkr

Someone on the PC Perspective forum recommended the Q6700 and I googled the comparison between it and the Q6600 and it appears that the Q6700 is even better. And it's the same price that the Q6600 was on newegg! :)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor HH80562PH0678MK - 2.66GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor at TigerDirect.com

I called and canceled my order for the Q6600.

-tkr

Someone on the PC Perspective forum recommended the Q6700 and I googled the comparison between it and the Q6600 and it appears that the Q6700 is even better. And it's the same price that the Q6600 was on newegg! :)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor HH80562PH0678MK - 2.66GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor at TigerDirect.com

I called and canceled my order for the Q6600.

-tkr

Cool beans. You're on your way...

Waiting, waiting, waiting :whistling :whistling :whistling :whistling .......Have you got it yet?

Not yet. I think the PSU should be here today, but the longest wait is going to be on the processor which will be here Friday.

Believe me, you'll know when I get it. :D

-tkr

Everything but the processor arrived today. And I just checked the tracking number for the processor and the arrival time has been updated to tomorrow!!! :clap::yeahhh:

-tkr

Everything but the processor arrived today. And I just checked the tracking number for the processor and the arrival time has been updated to tomorrow!!! :clap::yeahhh:

-tkr

:isaynothing: :isaynothing: :dunno: :dunno: :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :beer::cool::ti4onah::blackeye::sweatdrop:punk:

All these different types of emotions go through my brain when I'm waiting for electronic toys!!

Here's to tomorrow :callbeer:

:isaynothing: :isaynothing: :dunno: :dunno: :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :beer::cool::ti4onah::blackeye::sweatdrop:punk:

All these different types of emotions go through my brain when I'm waiting for electronic toys!!

LOL! I take it this one --> :blackeye: comes after it arrives and you try to set it up and it doesn't work. Then this one --> :sweatdrop is while fixing it. And finally after it's up and running --> :punk:

Lets just hope that the new computer this fixes my recording problems and I don't have to come back for more --> :helpsmili

:D

-tkr

LOL! I take it this one --> :blackeye: comes after it arrives and you try to set it up and it doesn't work. Then this one --> :sweatdrop is while fixing it. And finally after it's up and running --> :punk:

Lets just hope that the new computer this fixes my recording problems and I don't have to come back for more --> :helpsmili

:D

-tkr

Here's to nothing but smiles for you, my friend:) :) :) :)

Well, I had a few :brickwall: moments, but it's all together now and I'm loading Windows.

For being such a good brand of motherboard I was surprised how poor the layout was. They put so much stuff around the processor socket that the Zalman cooler's plastic holder wouldn't fit in the right direction. Since the holder was in the wrong direction, the notch that allowed for the processor handle to be pulled all the way back was in the wrong spot so the processor latch wouldn't open all the way and couldn't get the cover out of the processor slot. So I had to pull the whole holder back off and put the processor in, then put the plastic holder back on.

Also where you make all the connections to the case (for power, reset, LED's, etc) they didn't allow for the three pin power LED connector, so I had to cut extra piece off of the connector in order to make it fit. My old motherboard that I had in there before allowed for the three pin power LED, so it's weird that this one didn't.

So anyways, as soon as windows finishes loading, I'll start testing with my recording stuff. :clap:

-tkr

Ok, so I just got done testing my recording stuff on the new computer and ......... *drum roll*..............

.....It works beautifully!!! :thumbup::winkthumb::clap::thumbup1::D:yeahhh::claping::eek:

I tested it with the MME and ASIO drivers and both of playback settings in Samplitude (high latency and low latency) and all of them work flawlessly. No freezing, no popping, no stuttering, not even so much as a hiccup. I also kept the playback going while moving the play cursor around to make sure it would keep playing without any skipping problems and it did.

I also did some test recordings using the ASIO drivers and even changed the effects plugins while recording and no popping or other problems ever occurred.

I think I can now confidently conclude that the problem has been solved! :claping:

Now I just have to move all my stuff on this computer over to the new one and reload everything again as I'm just using a test hard drive right now on my new system. So hopefully the next time I post I'll be on my new (and most importantly FUNCTIONING) system. :D

Thanks again everyone for all of the technical and moral support during this whole computer mess! :thumbup:

-tkr

Thanks Carol! :)

I'm finally up and running on the new puter! :clap: Ran into another snag with the IDE controller card as I could see the hard drives in windows explorer, but they were "corrupted" and couldn't be accessed. It took a while to figure out that I had to use the IDE cable that came with the card (I just used the one that came with the motherboard). Typically the IDE cables are all the same, but apparently this card needed to use their special cable. After plugging that in, everything worked fine.

I haven't re-installed any of my recording stuff yet, I think that will be tomorrow's project, I'm off to bed now.... All this computer hacking sure makes a person tired. :D

-tkr

After setting my recording stuff up again everything is still working great! I've been testing several of my older projects that caused problems before on my old system and they all work flawlessly again. The only popping I heard this time was in the tracks I had recorded on my old system. :thumbdown

It looks like the book can finally be closed on my old computer issues! :claping:

-tkr

This thread's got me so worked up....I ordered an i7 920 :yes::P:escape:

Oh yah, man. Those i7's are a hot commodity for audio right now. I think the i5's should be just as good.

Thanks everyone. It's great to be back up an running again! :clap:

I wasn't home much yesterday, but I did manage to get the Nebula plugin I was talking about before installed and all is still working fantastically.

-tkr

Does a hard drive ever get corrupted or sick?

Yes. Hence why people tend to be picky about the brand of hard drive they get. Atleast computer freaks do. I usually get seagate or western digital. Are well known and I've never had issues. Recently one of my Western Digitals died, but I've had it for 3 years, and I bought it used! I have another one that I bought new and that's been going for a long time. now a brand like samsung is not know for hard drives at all. They do attempt at making them, but their hard drives generally suck. I had a chance to get a 750GB one for a decent price and I took my chance. 7 months later when it's filled with all sorts of goodies it crashes. And it's basically dead and I cant do anything about it. It does come with a 5 year warranty, but I think I'm just going to sell the replacement as new and call it a day.

But as far as the op goes. I dont want to hurt your feelings but you pretty much wasted your money.