Scottee

Mahogany vs Spruce Tops??

I am a senior and relatiively new at this . I started out with a Yamaha gigmaker (F-325). I am now interested in an Acoustic/Electric. I have kinda narrowed it down to(looked at locally) a Samick D3CEN and a Yamaha APX-5A.

The Samick has a mahogany top/ sides/back and I really like the sound and it feels "right". The Yamaha has a Spruce top/ Nato sides and back (Thinline).

The Samick costs a little less than the Yamaha. I'm not sure about quality of the two as I know nothing about Samick or this model.

I would appreciate any opinions/concerns on Mahogany vs Spruce, etc. Anyone familar with Samick or this model, I would appreciate input. Thanx

Well to start off with, it's great to know that us older folks are still drawn to playing guitar.

Samick is probably the worlds largest guitar maker (that's their claim anyways). They make a lot of the guitars that are rebadged with different names.

I would go with the guitar that feels and sounds best to you. Don't worry about the name plate.

I have neither of those models, however, my Guild D25/6 is mahogany. I've played it many years now, and the tone of the mahogany is a deeper tone as compared to the spruces.

Spruce and cedar are conifers which are softwoods. Mahogany is a hardwood. The top of the acoustic guitar functions, in many ways, like a speaker cone/driver. Typically, the more rigid the driver, the more pressure it takes to properly activate the cone. I'm guessing that a hardwood would have a bit less flex than a softwood and thus it might be better suited for strumming and more aggressive playing and not as well suited for light fingerstyle, etc. Cedar is my top of choice for everything but the hardest of strumming ala Bluegrass, etc. I prefer spruce for that application. I've played a few of the Washburn and Oscar Schmidt solid mahogany tops and they are very warm in tone. It's hard to judge loudness because by design Washburns aren't very loud acoustic guitars.

Thanx everyone for the input(s). It has been an education. Like what has been posted, I did find that there is a definate difference in sound. Any further input on the Samick guitar(s) (good or bad experiences) would be appreciated.

Hi Scottee,

A little over a year ago, my wife bought my daughter a Greg Bennett designed 39" student guitar made by Samick. It is one of their least expensive models: ST9-1 in black. Even though she hasn't shown a lot of interest in playing, I have played it almost every day since. I am still amazed at how good this little inexpensive (Nato mahogany top, back and sides) guitar sounds. I wish my first guitar was this easy to play and sounded this good. The other thing I find nice is the nut width is about 1.730 (44mm). My son has a Squire Strat that I find almost impossible to fret cleanly, but with this thing, I have little trouble. The only thing I find difficult is the fact that it has a short neck, making the frets a little closer together.

Now I'm wanting to buy a guitar for myself, and I am trying to decide if all of their guitars are this nice, or is this just a fluke. The problem I have is, I prefer the orchestra models, and I haven't found a dealer in my area that stocks them, so I haven't been able to try one out. The other thing that concerns me is, I've emailed Samick twice to ask about the nut width on some of their other models, and they never returned my emails.

That is my problem. I haven't decided if I want to buy a guitar I haven't played. So, I am as interested as you to get feedback from members of this forum on their opinion of these guitars.

Tom C