carol m

Installing Audio Hardware on a Mac problem

Hello again friends and helpers! Fresh from my success with my Tascam installation on my PC i tried installing it on my Mac.......

Downloaded the latest proper drivers ok. Installed them ok. Dragged the Installer.pkgm to my Application folder and plugged the unit in.

The manual says the computer will automatically find the drivers....well nothing happened. The light on the unit didn't even come on. No evidence of an .app in Apps folder or System>Audio and no eject icon under Devices in the Finder window.

I tested the unit again on the PC and it's working fine.

I powered down and tried again using the other USB port and still nothing.

Am I missing something really basic here? :dunno:

"Dragged the Installer.pkgm to my Application folder "

Is not what to do. You need to double click on that package to do the install , you can toss the package after the install or keep it incase you need to reinstall. I would also recommend that you repair permissions after doing the install. You can do that with Disk Utility Application.

Thanks Almaink! I downloaded the driver from the website, double clicked the .dmg and it opened to show the install .mpkg and the uninstall.pkg. I got the 'Welcome to Tascam installer' and followed instructions and got the 'Successfuly Installed' window.

Then I put both the installer and uninstaller into Applications and plugged in the unit and nothing happened. I thought if I double clicked on the Installer package again I would re-install it and potentially gum up the Mac itself. The manual said the Mac would automatically find the installed drivers, but it didn't. Are you saying I should have double clicked the installer.pkgm anyway?

Under Applications/Utilities there is a program called "Audio Midi Setup". Run that and it should see any audio and/or MIDI hardware connected.

Thanks Almaink! I downloaded the driver from the website, double clicked the .dmg and it opened to show the install .mpkg and the uninstall.pkg. I got the 'Welcome to Tascam installer' and followed instructions and got the 'Successfuly Installed' window.

Then I put both the installer and uninstaller into Applications and plugged in the unit and nothing happened. I thought if I double clicked on the Installer package again I would re-install it and potentially gum up the Mac itself. The manual said the Mac would automatically find the installed drivers, but it didn't. Are you saying I should have double clicked the installer.pkgm anyway?

yes double click on the pkg. It should be a .pkg I have never heard of of a .pkgm. google .pkgm and you will see what I mean. Pkg is what the installer should be called. A .mpkg when double clicked on should produce a .pkg. Also check your receipts folder in ~/Library/receipts to find the install log to see what was installed and where. Also as Rockerbob pointed out you can check the Midi set up to see if your connected.

Thanks guys, I'll check it out tomorrow - I've been a bit busy today. And I guess it was an .mpkg file not a .pkgm file - I'm a bit rusty on my Mac and it's extensions.

The problem is still not solved. I did the Verify and Repair Permissions ok. During the original Tascam software installation I had copy/pasted the list of files that were being downloaded: 5 items and where they were installed. And it said they all were successfully installed. So today I checked these folders and none of the files were there, or anywhere.

I opened the .dmg again and (by chance) noticed at the title '3 items' when I'd seen only 2 - the installer.mpkg and the uninstall.pkg. I scrolled waay down and there was a 3rd item - a folder 'Pieces' which when I opened it had the 5 .pkg files that were missing - none of them a .app file though. I dragged the whole lot into Applications and plugged the unit in again. It's supposed to find the drivers automatically and 'configure' but nothing happened again. No light on the unit or anything. Still nothing in the Receipts, Midi Driver or Extensions files etc where they are supposed to go.

In System Profile I checked USB and it had an Unknown Device that was 'not configured' which must have been the Tascam.

So I double clicked the Uninstall.pkg to start over, and it 'Installed' the 'Remover' successfully (weird?) but the files in my Application folder were all still there.

I double clicked on the Uninstall.pkg again to see if it needed to 'run' (? not sure about that) but it just took me back to the start of the same 'Install US122 Remover' again which I had just done 'successfully'.

Any ideas anyone? I'm pretty much stumped.

It could be a few things.

1. a bad install program, I've seen many since OSX came out.

2. A bad .dmg file, anything thats downloaded can get corrupted.

What Tascam product is this? I'd be glad to download the .dmg myself and check it out for you. Did you look in the Midi Preference pane to see if anything is listed.

Did you look in the Midi Preference pane to see if anything is listed.

I'm not sure where that is but I checked every destination file where the Installation process said they had been downloaded to, but none of them were where they were supposed to be. They were all sitting in the 'Pieces' folder (as.pkg's) that I put in Applications after I found them after the initial install still in the .dmg.

The driver was downloaded and 'Successfully Installed' perfectly smoothly but when I attached the unit nothing happened.

I thought about putting all those 'pieces' in the correct places manually but thought that might just confuse the Macs innards further.

It's a Tascam 122 - a legacy item, not the later US 122L. I downloaded the latest driver from the Tascam website. My Mac is Intel Core2Duo OSX 10.6 and the driver download was the "v. 3.40 Mac OS X Universal Binary Driver for Intel & PPC Apple Mac Computers (download)" and here's the link

TASCAM

You can get drivers for this Tascam on the net but I thought it was safer to go with the latest official Tascam one.

I just downloaded the files to have a look. Did you download and read the install PDF? I would if you didn't. If following those instructions in that PDF doesn't work then I'd install each piece (.pkg)in the parts folder separately, since the installer doesn't want to do it correctly. One thing when you are looking to see if anything was installed did you just look in your use library or did you also look in the main system library? Things for just you to use would be in your-user/library things for every-user would be in library/. They could also have been installed in an application support folder/ Midi. Another thing to try is connect the device, open the sound preference pane and see if the device is listed. If it is select it and see if it works. As you can see in this screenshot I have a device installed called Soundflower. It only works if I select it in the sound preference pane.

31e86

Thanks for going to all that trouble Al (I'm guessing that's your name).

I did read that pdf and I looked in all those places and nothing from the Tascam was there. I was thinking of putting the downloaded files (all in Applications directly from the .dmg) in Trash and trying again. I think that might be better as I had run the un-install program and although that did nothing to the files it seems a better plan than trying to activate the files after they were theoretically uninstalled.

Do you think putting them in the Trash would remove them completely from the system? As far as I know they haven't properly interacted with the system anyway.

OK I just did the install here to see what would happen even tho I don't have the device. As you can see from this screen shot everything was installed or at least a package was placed in the receipts folder. You should check there to see if you also see this.

888ea

Also the driver was installed in the main library folder not in the use library. The US-122 Manager.app is in the Application folder. Looks to me like everything installed correctly here. Now since I don't have an Intel Mac I can't check that for you, but the installer seems to work Ok. BTW you did, restart right?

Putting the files from the DMG anyplace manually wrong. Run the installers right from the disk image you get when you double click on the DMG. Like I said it worked here so I know the installers work. I think they installed for you to but your looking in the wrong place for the installed files. You might want to try using Spotlight to find them. But the only thing you really need the application should be in the applications folder.

No they didn't go to the receipts folder. I was looking again at the Tascam site downloads and I see there is the Intel Mac driver but also the v. 3.23 Mac OS X driver (download) as well as the - v. 3.40 Mac OS X Universal Binary Driver for Intel & PPC Apple Mac Computers (download) which is what I installed.

I have an Intel Mac and was wondering if it would be ok to try the Mac OS X driver instead? Or maybe a download of the v.3.4 from a different site, there are plenty offering the driver for Macs?

The other thing I can do is search their help or forum if they have one.

I found a website MacMusic with the same driver download available. I think I'll try that one tomorrow. And maybe phone Apple to see if they have any suggestions. I have the original CD with a driver on it but it's an older version. Tomorrow is another day.....Thanks again Al for your efforts. I'll report back tomorrow.

Success! Yippee! :stuart: I rang the Tascam distributor who didn't have a clue....I rang Apple and all they could suggest was put all the files from the initial download/install in Trash, empty Trash and either try again or try a Driver download from a different site.

I decided to go straight for an 'unofficial' driver off the web. The first download looked a bit weird and I couldnt't find an app to open it with so I tried a different site, downloaded, double clicked, and it went zziipppp.....Successfully installed. Just like that! Took about 30 secs, I didn't have to do anything, automatic restart, and all the files/folders were exactly where they were supposed to be.

I plugged it in and .....pause.....lights on! set my Preferences and everything works, all channels, perfect.

So thank you to all the friends and helpers, particularly Almaink - you went to a lot of trouble and I appreciate it. :yes: