Ian McAllister

Multiple monitor problem.

I use two monitors with my laptop. easy enough, there's a vga out on the back, just plug and play. It's much easier when you're recording, you can have your tracks on one screen, effects and mixer on the other etc.

OK, so my laptop has given up the ghost and is at the shop for a complete overhaul, but I've got a backup!

So, my graphics card has a vga and a dvd-i out, my second monitor only has a vga in. I buy a dvi to vga adapter, with the result shown in the pic attached... I get a pink screen, which can't be altered with colour settings. My first question, why is this happening, and, if I use it will it damage the screen?

I then bought a new monitor with a dvi-d input. I had one in China, it worked fine but I couldn't bring it with me... weight problems... not me, my luggage!

Now the new monitor isn't recognised by the computer if I use the dvi-d input, it works fine on vga.

I can't select the source on the screen, but it's a plug and play device, and should'nt have been a problem. The lead I'm using is a single signal dvi-i cable, but this also shouldn't be a problem as my graphics card supports compatibility with dvd-d inputs on lcd screens, by ignoring the vga out.

So, has anyone any suggestions as to how to get this second monitor working? What have I done wrong?

My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, and the monitor is a Samsung T190.

Thanks,

Ian:brickwall: :helpsmili

8312.attach

carol m    64

Hi Ian. I have no idea but no-one else has replied so........I notice that the pink screen has an Audacity track showing, so if you get a picture, can't you just ignore the pink?

But...... I do know why it's pink! It's the revenge of the pink guitar. Yes, I still have that image in my head :eek:

HiCarol, yes, the hello kitty strat, I almost bought one a few weeks ago. :yes:

I'm worried about the pink damaging the screen.

Skinnybloke, it's not the lead, but it may well be the adapter! good call, I'll check it out.:winkthumb:

Thanks,

Ian

Yep, broken pin on the graphics card, installed a new one at a cost of £45. Works great now, someone today told me that they had a spare which I could have had for nothing. NOW HE TELLS ME!

Ian:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: ;)

solidwalnut    5
Yep, broken pin on the graphics card, installed a new one at a cost of £45. Works great now, someone today told me that they had a spare which I could have had for nothing. NOW HE TELLS ME!

Ian:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: ;)

The old 'life is just that way sometimes' thing. :dunno: