carol m

Intel Chip vs AMD and Tascam US122 Installation

carol m    64

After my MAudio USB has been causing havoc with my temperamental AMD pc, I thought I would install my old Tascam US122 USB and see if that worked better.

The Tascam is old but compatible with Windows XP, but under it's system requirements it says

"We have found that the most dependable motherboards are ones using Intel based chips".

It then lists several Intel chips to USB Universal Host Controller examples and a ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller

My USBs are listed as

Generic USB Hub

Standard Enhancded PCI to USB Host Controller

Standard OpenHCD UsB Host Controller

USB Root Hub x 2

It continues: "Some other chipsets, notably those specifying Open Host Controllers or OHCI (rather than Universal Host Controllers or UHCI) have been subject to occasional incompatiblilities.

While most OHCI systems will have no problems with US122, we have found that in the majority of rare problem cases, a PCI-based USB Card utilizing an Opti-chip controller will work dependably".

I've been in mortal combat with my PC again over the last few days and it's now working ok without the MAudio plugged in, but I don't have anything to record with now.

Because this pc has been having 'incompatibilty problems' with the MAudio (which may be a dodgy unit) am I dicing with death if I try to install this old, but working, Tascam unit on my AMD PC which is now working ok?

skinnybloke    4

"We have found that the most dependable motherboards are ones using Intel based chips".

This refers to the allied (Secondary) chips on the M/Board Carol...Not the CPU!

Modern Mainboards don't have the same conflicts the they did when the Tascam was released ( they have an entire brand new series of conflicts;) )

Try the Tascam, see how it goes...at worst, it won't work! The biggest problem may be it's age, but you should be able to find updated drivers for it.

Re the M Audio.....Have you had a look at the M-Audio forums re USB issues?

carol m    64

Yes I had a look and there wasn't anything with my exact problem so I sent them an email to their Tech Support.

I also rang Allens where I bought it and they said they would check it out if I brought it in, so I'll wait to see what MAudio says and then maybe take it to Allans. It's still under warranty.

It blue screened my mac the other day - something called an Error 600 which I googled and a couple of people were asking but no useful answers as far as I could see. So I suspect the unit itself. That would explain why the pc has been blue screening because it's otherwise ok since it's new chip - and still is without the MAudio connected.

Amazingly the mac seems to have healed itself after being unstable for a couple of days and all programs 'hanging' so I couldn't even force quit anything.

Thanks for replying Neil - I didn't want to throw a new spanner in the works to complicate matters. I'll try the old Tascam tomorrow.

carol m    64

Well I tried to install the Tascam. It's never been installed on this PC before and I downloaded the latest drivers from Tascam. The installation was seamless, at first.

I installed drivers ok. I re-booted anyway even though they didn't tell me to, and it re-booted ok. I plugged the unit in as instructed and got the 'New Hardware Wizard' ok, went through all the steps ok, and it said it had finishesd installing ok but.....as soon as I clicked 'Finish' I got taken back to 'Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard' page again which I cancelled instead of clicking 'next'.

I then immediately got a message in the tray saying "A problem occured while installing Hardware and it might not work properly". And there was no light on at the unit.

I'm certain this this taking me back to the 'Found New H'ware Wizard' is exactly what happened when I re-installed the MAudio (when I un-installed and re-installed the MAudio when I was trying to get it's ASIO drivers to be 'seen' by Reaper).

I think at that time I might have gone through the Found New Hardware Wizard twice without realising there had been a hitch somewhere.

So then I tried to 'remove' the Tascam safely using my new Safely Restore software :) but it wouldn't 'stop' which is what it's supposed to do before you can safely remove a device.

So now I have the Tascam connected but not working and I can't remove it 'safely' from its port.

Am I cursed, or what??? :crying2: AAaaahhh.....

Hi Carol, don't know if this will help any as it's semi-late and I'm bushed{Friday nite - how sad is that:crying2: }, but when I bought my Alesis io/26 and began the install, I too received the 'second' new hardware found window...come to find out that there was '4' new hardware founds to complete the install....there was one for midi, and the others escape me at the moment...just a thought.. and a small one at that{lol}, but after allowing them to run all went well.

carol m    64

Hi Kenny! Don't worry that your thoughts might be small, any thoughts at all are welcome.

...come to find out that there was '4' new hardware founds to complete the install....there was one for midi, and the others escape me at the moment...just a thought.

How did you know this? As far as I know there were no extra hardware things - and if there is only one piece of hardware (a solid piece/unit of equipment) anything 'extra' would be software wouldn't it? Clearly you need to be a genius to do all this - I feel my self-confidence slipping!.

but after allowing them to run all went well.

What does 'allowing them to run' mean? Going through the Found New Hardware Wizard again or just using the Alesis? I ran that Wizard twice (by mistake) on my Mac and it crashed that too.

And now...today I find that my Printer won't print - not even a test page.

karcey    42

G'day Carol,

One question at a time. The "safely remove" bit only works on certain devices. Thumbsticks probably always, external USB diskdrives probably never. Printers we don't even think about. Other stuff ... well you take it as you find it. But don't be bound up by it. If no file transferring is occurring, then unplug it. If you're a bit superstitious, power down the computer and unplug it then. Either way the device drivers aren't going to be affected. Other questions later ... I wouldn't recognise a Tascam if it fell on my foot so I won't go there.

OldG    3

As kenny advised - some hardware needs 2 or more installations of software to run. Play along and let the install wizard do its thing it may solve all....

I noticed you are plugging/ unplugging while windows is up and running - I found plugging in before booting and unplugging after shutting down to be the most hassle free way to use my Tascam.

carol m    64
As kenny advised - some hardware needs 2 or more installations of software to run. Play along and let the install wizard do its thing it may solve all....

I noticed you are plugging/ unplugging while windows is up and running - I found plugging in before booting and unplugging after shutting down to be the most hassle free way to use my Tascam.

I was doing it while running because the MAudio manual said Plug in while compuiter is running. In fact I thought much of the problem had started because

• I had run the install wizard twice (by mistake) on one of the early attempted re-installs of the MAudio
  • I had disconnected and reconnected with the computer off because I thought it would be safer, and then changed my mind after re-reading the manual. And after connecting with the computer off, that's when I started getting multiple BSODs on booting up that were difficult to short circuit.

Update: I had already disconnected the Tascam with the PC off and had no problem. The printer is now working.... when I realised it wasn't connected to a port :oops: well I'm having a bad PC day....

Yesterday when the Tascam failed to do the 'safely remove' step the software Safely Remove's properties for it showed:

Internal_UserDeviceNameWithDriveLetters: USB Device

Sys_DevicePnPName: USBVID_1604&PID_80075&2F621EE5&0&5

Sys_FriendlyName: USB Device

Sys_DeviceDescription: USB Device

Sys_LocationInformation:

Sys_DeviceInstance: 25420

Sys_HardwareID:

Sys_DriveLetter:

Sys_VolumeLabel:

Sys_ulProblemNumber: 1

Sys_DeviceClassGuid: {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Sys_BusType: BusTypeUnknown

Internal_DontShowThisDevice: True

Internal_IgnoreStopAllCommand: False

Internal_ImageName:

Internal_UserDeviceName: USB Device

Internal_IsCardReader: False

Internal_IsProbablyFixedDrive: False

Internal_DeviceIsDisabled: False

Internal_DeviceIsSafelyRemoved: False

Internal_DeviceWasDisabledByProgram: False

Sys_VolumesList:

Internal_PhysicalDeviceLink:

------- Physical Device, level 1 ------

DeviceInst=25420

PnPName=USBVID_1604&PID_80075&2F621EE5&0&5

FriendlyName=

DEVICEDESC=USB Device

LOCATION_INFORMATION=

HARDWAREID=

SPDRP_CLASSGUID={4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

ParentDeviceInst=5620

ParentDevicePnPName=USBROOT_HUB4&30792B2D&0

ulStatus=$01806400

ulProblemNumber=1

Capabilities=$00000004

DN_REMOVABLE_Flag=True

DN_DISABLEABLE_Flag=True

DN_WILL_BE_REMOVED_Flag=False

DN_HAS_PROBLEM_Flag=True

DN_LIAR_Flag=False

CM_DEVCAP_SURPRISEREMOVALOK_Flag=False

CM_DEVCAP_DOCKDEVICE_Flag=False

CM_DEVCAP_REMOVABLE_Flag=True

CM_PROB_DEVICE_NOT_THERE_Flag=False

SPDRP_PHYSICAL_DEVICE_OBJECT_NAME=DeviceUSBPDO-3

SPDRP_UI_NUMBER=0

BusType=BusTypeUnknown

DeviceType=Unknown device type (0)

DeviceNumber=0

Hello?? Anyone still reading???

Naturally none of that makes any sense to me.......:)

OldG    3

When you first install the software you may need to plug in the device to complete the install - after that I'd go with plugging in before boot or having it plugged in all the time.

carol m    64
When you first install the software you may need to plug in the device to complete the install - after that I'd go with plugging in before boot or having it plugged in all the time.

Yes that's what I was doing when the MAudio was working and the PC wasn't bluescreening while booting up with the MAudio plugged in.

This thread doesn't cover the history of the MAudio problem and I started this as a new thread because it was about the attempted Tascam installation as an alternative to using the MAudio.

I really didn't expect to have a similar problem with a fresh install of a new piece of hardware to this PC.

skinnybloke    4

Carol, can you "Safely remove" your printer?

If the answer is "yes", plug the the printer into the USB port that the Tascam was in.....

Turn it on, and see if you can "Safely remove" it. Print a test page.

If the answer is "No", that USB port is faulty!

If the answer is "Yes", plug the Tascam into the the printers USB cable & try it.

Just to eliminate either a faulty cable or USB port.

carol m    64

I have the printer in a powered usb hub which is in the same usb port that the Tascam was in directly when it didn't install properly. I didn't use the hub for the Tascam install because it was another level of uncertainty.

Mind you, it was this same port that I was having trouble with the MAudio direct into it and also the MAudio through the hub.

I haven't had any problem with the printer through this port either directly or via usb hub - that was just me not plugging the printer into into the computer!

I'm thinking of doing yet another System Restore back as far as I can go which unfortunately is after the initial, but successful original MAudio install.

I'm also considering doing a CHKDSK but am unsure if this is a 'dangerous' (i e makes irreversible changes) to my hard disk. And if I do it, should I do it before or after the System Restore?

More rambling from me...

Hi again Carol, I only realized the '4' new hardware thingy from frustration, after mulitple install's & unistall's. I reached a point where I said scruuuuit, let it do what it wants and see what happens.

With somewhat clearer thinking this morning vs last night, I believe the new found harware was as OldG called it - software...It was trying to install the midi generator, the drivers, it's own control panel, and it's own hardware direct monitoring panel{this may pertain to Alesis only btw}...also when allowing the wizard to do it's thing, be sure {on windoze anyway} to "continue anyways" if the 'such and such' doesn't pass microsofts logo certification window keeps popping up.

If I recall correctly, I ended up having to completely remove anything{via regedit} related filewise to Alesis then start a new install...believe me it's not you, theses things can have conflicts and cause fits of rage simply by powering up.

One last thought, for some reason unknown, my printer was removed from the 'default' selection during all this as well, coincidence... I don't know, I reset it to default printer and everything is now fine.

Neil's suggestion on checking ports is a great troubleshooting tip...as to Mac's...well I like lemons never had an apple LOL

Best of luck, won't be long till folks will be coming to you for pc work ;)

carol m    64
More rambling from me...

..well I like lemons never had an apple LOL

;)

You like lemons? - well I have a couple you can have.

About the 'screeewit' philosophy - I reached that point a while ago with this pc but that approach has now been ditched - since it got so bad I no longer have any means of recording anything and I need to do something about it.

Tekker    1
About the 'screeewit' philosophy - I reached that point a while ago with this pc but that approach has now been ditched - since it got so bad I no longer have any means of recording anything and I need to do something about it.

I feel your pain. :brickwall:

-tkr

carol m    64
I feel your pain. :brickwall:

-tkr

Have you noticed Tekker that you and I are having the most problems with our PCs and they are the same model???

Today I did a big System Restore right back to day 2 of my new chip.....so far so good and no sign anywhere of the MAudio - no left over bits I could find anywhere :D

I tested the Tascam on my Mac today - it had been installed ages ago - and it worked fine. Next step is to try it again on the pc.

Tekker    1
Have you noticed Tekker that you and I are having the most problems with our PCs and they are the same model???

Are you talking about the AMD processor? If so, my last PC had an AMD processor, an ASUS motherboard, and Corsair RAM and it worked great. I'm use all of the same brands for all of the above this time around, just "upgraded" (and I use the term loosely) models like a dual core AMD instead of a single core. So I don't think it has anything to do with AMD specifically as a lot of recording folks use AMD processors. We just got lemons.... :(

-tkr

carol m    64
Are you talking about the AMD processor? If so, my last PC had an AMD processor, an ASUS motherboard, and Corsair RAM and it worked great. I'm use all of the same brands for all of the above this time around, just "upgraded" (and I use the term loosely) models like a dual core AMD instead of a single core. So I don't think it has anything to do with AMD specifically as a lot of recording folks use AMD processors. We just got lemons.... :(

-tkr

Ha ha - lemons and apples - a good idea for an Apple ad??? That might result in a law suit though.

I'm feeling young again with my Restored pc :stuart: ....fingers crossed.

Tekker    1
Ha ha - lemons and apples - a good idea for an Apple ad???

Apple better jump on that before MS officially dumps Vista. LOL

-tkr

carol m    64

Well it's day 3 of my 'Back to day 1 System Restored' pc and so far it's smooth and fast!

I've loaded most of my 'stuff' (what a pain!) and all was seamless. I'm using the Tascam 122 and it works well. I loaded that first so nothing else would get in its way, and interestingly it did return me to the Found New Hardware Wizard like Kenny said it might, but I continued anyway knowing I could Restore to a point just before it so no risk of de-railing anything except itself, and no prospect of having to re-install yet again all the #$@% that has to be done after a major System Restore.

I made a Restore Point before each install, and one after if it went ok. And.....today I actually had time to play some guitar instead of endlessly trawling through the PCs innards looking for glitches and trying to find out what to do about them!

Take home message: if you have to do a System Restore, just bite the bullet and go right back as far as you can go! It's much easier in the long run.

I only have to see how my Mac is behaving now. I'll ditch all the MAudio on it and use the Tascam there too. It seems there is no System Restore or equivalent on a Mac.....

Thanks again everyone for all the help and support, it's appreciated. :)

carol m    64

I just had a BSOD after the daily AVG scan - a repair in the AVG log was the message, so I did a System Restore back to yesterday and re-scanned, no problem. But I'm watching it closely! It's not going to get the better of me again.