- - - - -

Techniques for Remembering Triad Locations?

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ozboomer

• Active Members

• 87 posts
  • Joined 17-August 06

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:15 AM

'lo again, folks..

Well, I'm continuing to try and get a handle on some of the triads on each of the string sets... but I can't seem to get everything *stuck* in my mind.

For example, I will start with a chord (for example, G Major)...and I'll be able to immediately recall how to play that in root position.. and I'll almost immediately be able to recall the positions in 1st and 2nd inversion... and I can do that on both strings (1,2,3) and (2,3,4).

...but if I need to play a G Minor triad, for example, which I've played a stack of times before, I will think 'I know it's one or two certain shapes...' but d'you think I can position the shapes in the right location!? No way! It always takes me a few goes to get the location right.

Now, I'm trying to learn, say, the positions of the root notes across the fretboard... but that's not going so well. I'll work my way through the Circle of 5ths Ok and I'll be able to play the 3 inversions of a major or minor triad on the (1,2,3) and (2,3,4) string sets... although, there's still a considerable amount of 'hunt and peck' going on.

Now, after being under a teacher's guidance for 2.5 yrs... and spending maybe an hour a day for at least 5 days a week trying to practice lots of things... I just wonder if my progress is weak... or if there's some better way to learn things. Is it better, for example, to learn some specific tunes... or should I just keep struggling along with the triad positions??

Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences, folks..

#2 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:35 AM

Kirk's materials Plane Talk will put you on the fast track for that kind of thing. Quickest way to understand the fretboard I have ever seen. You will kick yourself for not getting it sooner once you have had it for a week or two. lol Read some of the testimonials. :)

#3 OFFLINE   Andy S

• Active Members

• 878 posts
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:39 PM

Yeh, AT is right on the money, sounds like you are the perfect candidate for Plane Talk. Kirk explains it so simply a person cannot forget it and if you do....well, better stock up on Ginko Biloba!!
Andy S.

#4 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

I hear you ozboomer! It's hard to get that stuff into my brain too. :brickwall: Haven't tried Ginko Biloba, but I'm prepared to give it a go.:)
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#5 OFFLINE   Andy S

• Active Members

• 878 posts
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:55 AM

carol m said:

I hear you ozboomer! It's hard to get that stuff into my brain too. :brickwall: Haven't tried Ginko Biloba, but I'm prepared to give it a go.:)

Ever since I got Plane Talk and saw how easy it was if you just remember....just remember the...uhm...wait, let me think...AH yes!

I remember!! But , I don't want to give it away!

Anyhow, A good combiniation for those whose memory and alertness seem to be slipping, perhaps due to just-beyond-middle-age and/or stress, is a combination of Ginko Biloba (ancient Chinese herb??) and Phosphatidyl Serine. It helps keep the brain sharp and boosts memory. I take it daily and if I run out (usually because I'm too darn busy to stop & get more...that, and the wife wants me to wait for the first week of the month since it's on sale then!) anyway, if I run out of it, I can feel a difference in my mental acuity and do seem to have trouble pulling info from the old memory banks. Even the wife & kids notice it!

But anyhow...read through Plane talk, no! Not just read through it, play your guitar while your reading it...then it will be SOoo permanently etched in your brain it will seem like childsplay!!
Andy S.

#6 OFFLINE   Noodler

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,305 posts
  • Joined 06-August 07

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:47 PM

Yeah, planetalk does sound very relevant to what you want to do.

As for learning the note names up the neck, I'd suggest leaning just some key notes and really locking your brain onto them. eg G 10th fret A string, E 7th fret A string. Then when you play, quickly work out the notes in your mind in relation to those. Pretty soon, you'll know them all. That's how I did it, anyway. If you try to learn them all in one go, it's too hard.

By the way, I think the way you are learning is great. Is it all tying together for you yet?
"Everybody understands the blues..."- Albert King

#7 OFFLINE   ozboomer

• Active Members

• 87 posts
  • Joined 17-August 06

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:02 AM

Noodler said:

Yeah, planetalk does sound very relevant to what you want to do.
I'm still considering what to do with that and thinking about what the method might cover... given that there seems to be much talk about a single 'trick'... and it's always a bit of a gamble when you're lookin' to spend some decent $$$ on a single technique that might not suit the way my brain works... and I'm not feelin' particularly lucky at the moment :huh:

Noodler said:

As for learning the note names up the neck, I'd suggest leaning just some key notes and really locking your brain onto them. eg G 10th fret A string, E 7th fret A string....
Yup... I know most of the notes on the 1st (and 6th, obviously) strings... and can pick out a few notes otherwise... but I'm still thinkin' too much, at times(!), I think... and I really need to get some of these triads nailed a lot better...

Noodler said:

By the way, I think the way you are learning is great. Is it all tying together for you yet?
Heh! Fanx! -- I appreciate the thought :)

I haven't posted anything for a while, 'coz my music PC has been kinda ill... but keep an ear across my sample recordings and you can tell ME if you think things are working and the knowledge is integrating well or not -- I can never get enough comments (good AND bad) about my playing...

#8 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

Something that I didn't realize when I first started learning all the notes on the fretboard that made it a bit easier is that starting on the Low E string the first 3 dots on the fretboard are G A B, next string 1st 3 dots are C D E the next string 1st 3 dots F G A. So that's (besides being needing to be broken up into more that one sentence) The 1st 3 dots on the 1st 3 strings are in order G A B C D E F G A. Just something I thought was kind of cool.
Exotic is just people talk for awesome...which you are!

#9 OFFLINE   Nutty

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Joined 09-August 06

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:33 PM

Random Robot said:

Something that I didn't realize when I first started learning all the notes on the fretboard that made it a bit easier is that starting on the Low E string the first 3 dots on the fretboard are G A B, next string 1st 3 dots are C D E the next string 1st 3 dots F G A. So that's (besides being needing to be broken up into more that one sentence) The 1st 3 dots on the 1st 3 strings are in order G A B C D E F G A. Just something I thought was kind of cool.

Good one! Never heard that one before. Certainly makes it easy to remember.

Annette

#10 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:57 PM

Don't forget BEAD across the fretboard at fret 7.

And for any Brits: 'Another Dud G.C.E Again' at fret 5.

Or at fret 10: 'Don't Go Carousing Freely After Dark'

I know they are a bit lame, but think up your own!

Also learn a couple of scales and practice them often, before you know it there's a whole slab of fretboard you know well. Then hopefully after a while all the jigsaw pieces fit together, well that's what I'm hoping.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#11 OFFLINE   RockaBilly

• Active Members
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 15-January 06

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:23 AM

[quote name='ozboomer']I'm still considering what to do with that and thinking about what the method might cover... given that there seems to be much talk about a single 'trick'... and it's always a bit of a gamble when you're lookin' to spend some decent $$$ on a single technique that might not suit the way my brain works... and I'm not feelin' particularly lucky at the moment :huh:
QUOTE]

PT is not a trick. It's a tried and true method and something we should know about but failed to grasp it. Trust me, I bought one.

Since then I understand my fretboard like never before and I've played guitar for untold years. It was like a slap in the face because it's such a simple concept but our problem was that we didn't really understand the guitar.

Kirk did and it's now avaliable to you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users