Clancy

Chat room

So people that contribute can ask a question of people in the chat room ad-hoc as it were but the ones who may have an instant question can't. I.E people like myself just learning so have not a lot to contribute. Mmmmm seems a tad cliqueish!

The only reason is to keep the trolls out of the chat. Those that register just to stir up the mud in the chat, and the Internet is full of them. Not much posting and participation is required, although I don't know the exact threshold, but it really does help discourage the serious whankers.

There really are very few that use the chat... myself and Scott try to be there most of the day, but we are off and on because of work....not clickish at all hun, just keeping the forum and chat a friendly safe place for everyone

gg

shawna

So people that contribute can ask a question of people in the chat room ad-hoc as it were but the ones who may have an instant question can't. I.E people like myself just learning so have not a lot to contribute. Mmmmm seems a tad cliqueish!

The fact that you are just learning has nothing to do with your contribution to the forum

in general...

We are all learning from each other by contributing... This involves, asking

questions, stating a point of view, responding to a point of view, taking part in polls,

commenting on the music that is posted here by the members, contributing ideas on

how to improve the forum, encouraging people who are having problems... Etc... Etc...

It really doesnt take much to be a contributing member... If you are an active participant,

you reap the rewards for your participation... Plain and simple...!!! :winkthumb:

Yup. That's how I got the key to the executive washroom.:winkthumb: Hey wait a minute:brickwall: :reallymad: No I didn't.:laughingg:

Be careful if someone hands you the key to the executive washroom, they may want you to clean it. :laughingg:

Hello,

my understanding is that the main reason that the chatroom is only allowed to active members was to test it out and make sure it doesnt mess with the bandwidth too much? i am wondering if an irc chat might be a better solution? im not sure if your familiar with these? atleast for me i have several other chats open and i prefer to use an irc client then the webbrowser based chats.

just a thought, it may not be what your going for and you may prefer the active person requirement, although i believe you can password protect the rooms or make them invite only and such which may work in a similiar way, but may be harder to set up as you are somehow using the forum here to work with the chat.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be fearful."- Jesus - John 14:27 ASV

- jason

Thanks Jason for your feedback. The original reason we did restrict the chatroom to active users was to see if it was too server intensive. It has worked out to be ok and hasn't slowed the forum down and that was our original concern. The chatroom is set up so that it is integrated into the forum and members do not have to re-login to use the chat. This is the way we wanted it to work and it is working fine at this stage.

Since the forum has grown and since the chatroom is unmoderated, we have decided to limit the chat room to members who have at least spent some time contributing to the forum. We find this helps to keep troublemakers and spammers out of the chatroom. We want to above all avoid any kind of unpleasantness in all areas of the forum and especially in the areas that are unmoderated most of the time such as the chat room.

Cheers

Clancy

Hello,

my understanding is that the main reason that the chatroom is only allowed to active members was to test it out and make sure it doesnt mess with the bandwidth too much? i am wondering if an irc chat might be a better solution? im not sure if your familiar with these? atleast for me i have several other chats open and i prefer to use an irc client then the webbrowser based chats.

just a thought, it may not be what your going for and you may prefer the active person requirement, although i believe you can password protect the rooms or make them invite only and such which may work in a similiar way, but may be harder to set up as you are somehow using the forum here to work with the chat.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be fearful."- Jesus - John 14:27 ASV

- jason

This very true! Wouldn't tax your server and has better useability. Been using irc for around three years now with non of the media hyped problems of the chat room world. Fine explanation at last Clancy thankyou. Any questions anyone might have on the subject of irc the forum to ask on is p2pconsortium.com/index.php?act=portal Been on this site since it's inception, top place to ask on!