FatStrat

Recording thru soundcard with amplitube

Ok I'm new to this. A couple of days ago, I learned on this forum that I could plug my guitar into my computer sound card.

After some tinkering, here's what I ended up with:

1. Plugged Guitar into Digitech Processor

2. Used a cable with a 1/8 connector on each end to Connect Digitech Headphone Jack to Soundcard line-in jack.

3. Presto! I could hear my processed guitar sound through my sound card. The sound wasn't great, but definitely an improvement over my Vox Amplug.

4. I downloaded Audacity. I was able to record myself playing along with a backing track and extract it as an mp3. Way cool, except after listening to myself, I'm not as good as I thought I was :). My technique needs some work!

So far so good.

Looking for better tone, I downloaded Amplitube. I set the Digitech to Bypass mode and it sounds incredible! Spent last ight jamming along with backing tracks. I'll never put new batteries in my Vox Amplug again!

Here is the problem. I can't get Audacity to record the sound from Amplitube. My internet research tells me there is no solution to that one.

So finally to my question: Which recording software WILL record the output from Amplitube using my current low tech connection?

Thanks for the response almaink. Unfortunately, I'm running on an XP box. Also, I'm using the headphone jack on the Digitech to connect to the soundcard. I'm not having any problem hearing the guitar. I have my soundcard output running through a stereo receiver. I can hear the modeled output from Amplitube throught he headphones or the speakers connected to the receiver. Amplitube works great. I will definitely use it when my amp would be waking everyone in the house up. The sound quality is far and away better than the little Vox amplug I've been using. The problem is that while Amplitube is running, Audacity won't record at all. There must be some recording software that will work with my configuration.

Not sure about Amplitude but I know that Reaper works with most softwares. The Demo is non-expiring and the price is only $60.00 and that is a bargain at twice the price.

Amplitude can't record? That's a pretty important feature missing for software that costs that much.

Hmmm.....

On the Mac there's a program that captures streaming audio from your soundcard, i.e., records everything coming out of your speakers without using a mic or cable, called Wiretap Pro. A quick search for something similar for Windows lead me to Total Recorder. IF it works like Wiretap Pro then you should be able to record anything that comes out of your speakers without using your mic or line-in.

Amplitude can't record? That's a pretty important feature missing for software that costs that much.

Amplitube isn't a recording program, but it can be used along with other recording software.

Reaper is the ticket. Do you have the VST version of Amplitube? If so, I made a tutorial for how to use VST plugins in Reaper:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/13970-reaper-tutorial/

This way you should be able to play with Amplitube and record it also.

-tkr

Thanks Tekker! I'll check out Reaper this evening. I'll let you know how I fare. I hope I can get this to work because I really like the Amplitube software.

Thanks Tekker! I'll check out Reaper this evening. I'll let you know how I fare. I hope I can get this to work because I really like the Amplitube software.

yep, i run reaper on xp and couldn't be happier. doe's a great job....

You're welcome. :)

Also, there's another VST guitar amp sim called Vandal Amp that's getting ready to come out soon-ish (no set release date for it yet). It's in beta right now and the clips I have seen on youtube are amazing!

YouTube - New Software Amp

-tkr

Well, I've been messing with this all night. I installed reaper and finally got it to recognize my guitar. I'm not even sure what I finally did that made it work. It seems like I was just doing the same things over and over again. Option>Preferences.Option>Preferences etc etc. It always said "not connected, not connected" and then suddenly it was connected. Don't ask me. Anyway, I finally got it to load the amplitube plug-in and record the processed guitar coming out of amplitube. I couldn't get it to read a backing track. I clicked on Insert>media file and navigated to the track. It shows up on the display, but I can't hear it when I insert another track and start record.

I downloaded the manual from the reaper website and also tried to read the tutorial here. It's really complicated isn't it? All I want to do is record myself playing with a backing track and use the Amplitube effects. You need to be a sound engineer to use it!

At this rate, the 10 day trial for Amplitube will be up before I figure out how to use it. Also Amplitube is VERY expensive. If I decide to use it I may have to go with the stripped down version for 50 bucks. It only has a couple of amps and a couple of stomp boxes but I won't have to sell any of the kids to afford it. I can't see buying software that costs more than my guitar. I really do like it though. It would solve my late nite practice problems too. The sound is really good.

Anyway. Baby steps. I'll try this weekend to get it to load a backing track. Thanks for the responses.

Well, I've been messing with this all night. I installed reaper and finally got it to recognize my guitar. I'm not even sure what I finally did that made it work. It seems like I was just doing the same things over and over again. Option>Preferences.Option>Preferences etc etc. It always said "not connected, not connected" and then suddenly it was connected. Don't ask me. Anyway, I finally got it to load the amplitube plug-in and record the processed guitar coming out of amplitube. I couldn't get it to read a backing track. I clicked on Insert>media file and navigated to the track. It shows up on the display, but I can't hear it when I insert another track and start record.

I downloaded the manual from the reaper website and also tried to read the tutorial here. It's really complicated isn't it? All I want to do is record myself playing with a backing track and use the Amplitube effects. You need to be a sound engineer to use it!

At this rate, the 10 day trial for Amplitube will be up before I figure out how to use it. Also Amplitube is VERY expensive. If I decide to use it I may have to go with the stripped down version for 50 bucks. It only has a couple of amps and a couple of stomp boxes but I won't have to sell any of the kids to afford it. I can't see buying software that costs more than my guitar. I really do like it though. It would solve my late nite practice problems too. The sound is really good.

Anyway. Baby steps. I'll try this weekend to get it to load a backing track. Thanks for the responses.

it took me a few days to get it to figure out the basics also, you can drag and drop music files right into the track spaces then arm it by clicking the little red button on the track control where the moniter and in buttons are on the bottom of the screen. hit record in the middle of the screen to record along with your backing track or music file....if you want to just record yourself, hit track at the top and choose insert new track, arm it by clicking the red record button on the track control "at the bottom" and then the record in the middle. :) i use the line six toneport ux1 as an external sound card that uses an usb 2.0 port. comes bundled with pod farm plug in that i really like...http://stash.reaper.fm/524/DarkPlasticv3b2.png

Hey FatStrat,

I forgot to post this tutorial first. It covers the basics in Reaper and includes pictures. This may help fill in some of the holes left by the other tutorial.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/19897-computer-recording-software-getting-started/

Also Amplitube is VERY expensive. If I decide to use it I may have to go with the stripped down version for 50 bucks.

Before spending the money on Amplitube, you could try checking out some of the freeware amp sims and effects.

Voxengo Boogex is fantastic for clean and slightly distorted tones:

Guitar amplifier plugin - Boogex - Voxengo

SimulAnalog JCM900 is the best free heavy distortion plugin I've seen.

SimulAnalog Guitar Suite

For extra effects, Kjaerhus Audio effects sound fantastic and are pretty straight forward to use.

Kjaerhus Audio - Professional Audio Plug-ins

For more effects, here's a list of the freebie effects plugins that I have used.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/5735-freebie-list/

These effects will give a very usable sound at no cost at all. :winkthumb:

-tkr

I'm making progress! After much trial and tribulation, I managed to load up a backing track, add a track for my guitar, add the effects chain from Amplitube and record along with backing.

My problem with the backing track was because the pointer, or whatever it is is, at the end after you load the file. When I pushed play, the song was already over. When I figured out I needed to hit the rewind button immediately after the file was loaded, my problem was solved.

I can play the results back through the Reaper. My next step is to figure out how to mix it down to finished mp3 file. I haven't tried the free plugins that Tekker sent. I'll play with it some more tomorrow.

I'm making progress! After much trial and tribulation, I managed to load up a backing track, add a track for my guitar, add the effects chain from Amplitube and record along with backing.

My problem with the backing track was because the pointer, or whatever it is is, at the end after you load the file. When I pushed play, the song was already over. When I figured out I needed to hit the rewind button immediately after the file was loaded, my problem was solved.

I can play the results back through the Reaper. My next step is to figure out how to mix it down to finished mp3 file. I haven't tried the free plugins that Tekker sent. I'll play with it some more tomorrow.

i use lame_enc.dll to render to mp3 format. choose render from the file dropdown menu and choose lame from the dropdown menu there after you download the free file. make sure you choose file destination so you can find it. tekker probly has a lot more detail on this.. lets hear ya soon!

Computer Music magazine ( available in the US) is giving away Guitar Rig 3 LE on its cover DVD this month.

I will also recomend DIG 2.0 - the download link is at the bottom of the page.

i use lame_enc.dll to render to mp3 format. choose render from the file dropdown menu and choose lame from the dropdown menu there after you download the free file. make sure you choose file destination so you can find it. tekker probly has a lot more detail on this.. lets hear ya soon!

Download lame_enc.dll and just drop it into your Reaper program folder (C:Program FilesReaper by default) when you fire up Reaper you should have the ability to render to all kinds of mp3.

I will also recomend DIG 2.0 - the download link is at the bottom of the page.

This is a .rar file. Is there a free rar opener anywhere? I could only find things like Winzip which you have to buy after a trial period.

Did you install to your VST folder in the setup - I had to direct my install (it wanted to seup in a temp folder by default...

"Did you install to your VST folder in the setup"

No. Reaper allows you to add multiple paths to plugins. I just added the path to the folder where I installed the plugins. I want to keep them on a separate drive in case I have to format the C: drive where Reaper is installed and reinstall windows. That part seems ok. When I click the FX button on the track, I can see the Dig plugins (along with all the other ones) and I can select them, but then Reaper gives me the "Reaper has encountered a problem and must be shut down..." message.

Hmm... so you got VST's in temp folders? I would make one folder ( on any drive you like) put all your VST/VSTi's in it and direct Reaper to it.

Anyways,I have had no problem with DIG 2.0, maybe try the latest version of Reaper to see if they get on better.