Random Robot

Ok, I'm thinking about it.

I'm really thinking about ordering but just trying to get a feel for what I'll be learning. I'm taking lessons from the most respected teacher in my area and I'm learning alot of theory but still having a hard time following chord progression and finding the 3rd 5th and 7th of the chords when trying to improve. I'm wondering if PT will interfer with the more traditional learning that I do with my teacher or will it help me understand him better? I mostly need to be able to put my hands anywhere on the neck and follow along in any register without hesitation. Another thing is, about how long should I start seeing results. I'm very familiar with the CAGED system and practice at least an hour a day. How hard is it to learn for someone with average intellegence with plenty of playing experience? Right now I'm trying to decide between PT and a new Crybaby Wah. Sell me on PT. Go.

Hi, Random Robot. If your goal is to be able to know where you are at any given moment on the fretboard, then PlaneTalk will get you there ... that's really what it's best at.

Will it interfere with what you already know? No, I see no reason why it would.

How long will it take? How long is a piece of string?

There's nothing hard about it at all, in fact it's about as easy as it gets, especially as you're familiar with CAGED.

There, that's my spiel.

Kirk, even though you're view is a little tainted, I want to believe you. I guess I trying to figure out what is tht I have to gain from PT as opposed to my regular lessons where I'm learning everything about music? My hope is that PT will help make it easier for me to get where I'm going and not just pile on to the stuff I'm already learning. I want it to be a union of knowledge and not a replacement. I've read alot of the reviews and i'm still just wondering what it is about Pt that is so different than standard teaching. Should I expect some kind of vision burnt across the clouds or something? Or is it just as intensive as learning modes and scales?

Hi again, RR.

First of all, PT has nothing to do with scales, modes or pentatonic boxes. Nothing whatsoever.

If you want to be able to see your whole fretboard as a unit, then you should order it; if you want to be able to create melody and harmony lines without wondering 'what scale?', order it. If you want to have music simplified down to its lowest common denominator, order it; if you want to teach your teacher a lesson he'll benefit from, order it. If your ability to improvise is not what you'd like it to be using all those scales and modes, order it.

Have you read these testimonials? Are you aware there's a private PlaneTalkers' Forum where we get right into it all on a daily basis?

Random Robot.

I'll probably purchase it myself once I'm done with the book I'm currently reading. There's plenty of info on Kirk and PT already provided.

Kirk Lorange - no Apostrophe, slide guitarist from Australia

PT Link PlaneTalk - The Truly Totally Different Guitar Instruction Book/DVD

More info PlaneTalk - The Truly Totally Different Guitar Instruction Book/DVD

If this site is anything to go by I have no doubt that PT is a great teaching aid.

Can we do an experiment here?

How about a generic backing track. Then add your own phrasing.

That should get everyone through the fretboard quite well. If they know their stuff.

Or am I going in the wrong direction. Let me elaborate a bit.

As from a tool maker and designers view point. "There is the book- then there is the real world". i would also think it becomes the mechanical and the flow.

Go

hmmmm.. i play by ear and don't like to worry about theory/rules etc..i don't even know the names of half the chords i play

but i would say if you are considering buying planetalk just buy it and decide for yourself if it's any good.. it can't do you any harm even if you don't learn anything from it...you will have learned something.

and after all it is only money i'm sure you can make some more for a wah pedal at some other point

I bought a wah already, but then it was a gyroscope pedal, a volume pedal, a new pedal board, a new amp and cab and now I'm saving up to a G&L ASAT, I'll have to see what I've got left over. I'd still like to buy PT but I'm doing pretty well with my lessons and I've just got to finish upgrading my gear to the next level from beginner to novice. Hopefully my G.A.S. will go away long enough for me to pick up PT.

I'm really thinking about ordering but just trying to get a feel for what I'll be learning. I'm taking lessons from the most respected teacher in my area and I'm learning alot of theory but still having a hard time following chord progression and finding the 3rd 5th and 7th of the chords when trying to improve. I'm wondering if PT will interfer with the more traditional learning that I do with my teacher or will it help me understand him better? I mostly need to be able to put my hands anywhere on the neck and follow along in any register without hesitation. Another thing is, about how long should I start seeing results. I'm very familiar with the CAGED system and practice at least an hour a day. How hard is it to learn for someone with average intellegence with plenty of playing experience? Right now I'm trying to decide between PT and a new Crybaby Wah. Sell me on PT. Go.

Between Plane Talk (PT) and a new Crybaby Wah? Hands down, I'd choose PT. It'll definitely enhance your knowledge. Especially since you're familiar with the CAGED system, I would expect PT may open up a whole new dimension to how you view the fretboard and the scales you're learning. At least that was my experience. I knew the pentatonics and was learning all the modes from a local jazz instructor. But, some of that theory actually got in my way of being musical and playing melodically. PT is quite unique and it broke me out of that box/rut.

Chris

Yep, I'm loving PT. I use it moslty for navigation. I was watching this Jimmy Bruno "No Nonsense Jazz" video a friend let me borrow and he's talking about chord inversions. So easy to follow whats going on when you can find the 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 4 #5 #9 b5 whatever. Thanks Kirk.

Looks like i found something else to go for. I never really took an interest in music theory (though I'm trying to understand it at least). That's all I would need right there...learning the fret board pretty much.

Looks like i found something else to go for. I never really took an interest in music theory (though I'm trying to understand it at least). That's all I would need right there...learning the fret board pretty much.

One of the biggest steps you can take as a player is to know what it is you're playing at all times. That may sound daunting at first, but once you know how to do it, you'll never look back.