Anthony_iltpff

I always wondered how many guitars we need..

How many guitars would be sufficient  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How many guitars would be sufficient

The thought occured to me as to how many of us have more than one guitar and why. What is just right for you?? If you had your choice between, lets say, 1-10, how many would you be satisfied with? I am kind of curious.

My choice would be three, two steel string and one classical.

What about you?

eddiez152    129

I went for 10

1 Electric Bass or Acoustic Bass

3 Electrics each of course different setups as in Strat,Tele,Les Paul type

1 6 string banjo

1 5 string banjo

4 Darn good acoustics at lease 1 with electronics in it and one metal dobro slide

But if we are only including guitars then 2 very good one's will do just fine. Thats just in case one of them is broke.:)

Currently have 20, there you go.

eddiez152    129

Anthony,

I am following in the footsteps of RB and Smort who both have me outnumbered by 2-3 pieces.

I did not include things like lap steel guitar, mandolin, etc.

eddiez152    129

CAUTION,

For all who dream of many and that goes for me as well.

YOU MUST WATCH HUMIDITY LEVELS AT ALL TIMES. THAT SOUNDS EASIER THEN IT IS. This of course is relative to where you live.

Illinois is not one of those places and It is a challenge for me. Thats is the only down side.

johnnydoxx    28

I go for three, an electric, an acoustic, and a classical. Electric for the sustain and the high-up frets and the raw sexiness and brute power, acoustic for the brilliant and/or laid-back country sound, and classical for those intimate songs with finger-style.

But any more would be OK too just for fun.

Stratrat    0

Just because I like playing different types of music when the mood strikes, I could be satisfied with thinning the herd to 7:

1) Tele w/vintage single coils

2) Les Paul

3) Gretsch semi-hollow

4) Strat-type with hot 'buckers & whammy (rarely used, but there when I want it)

5) Electro-acoustic

6) Bass w/ P/J pickups

7) Dobro (don't have one yet, but would be fun to learn)

That's all in theory, of course. In reality, 6string hit it on the head - the answer seems to be n+1, with n being the number you currently have!

mattz196    15

Gee Six "sufficiency" I had to google that one ! :helpsmili

"Sufficiency :when no other statistic which can be calculated from the same sample provides any additional information as to the value of the parameter"

Do I presume that hyperbole really means you want another Fender or a Martin...or perhaps a Gibson or maybe a .............

:guitardude: :guitardude: :guitardude:

There is no answer, sufficiency has yet to be reached.

Well, I can't vote. The numbers don't go high enough. I think the right number is the number you want.

now Bob...wouldn't this be a little greedy??

If only I could have one from each maker...sigh.. never mind, I would have to buy a bigger house.-)

i have had a few, every time i get a new i give one away to family members. no sense in sitting in the corner for months, id'e rather see a guitar get played! i have 2, acoustic and electric... ;) now if i were a little more well to do, i would probably collect. a nice guitar on the wall beats the heck out of a picture of the inlaws!

lorsban    2

5 would pretty much cover most situations:

1. Strat style guitar, regular strat or super-strat from Ibanez or Jackson or something.

2. Les paul style guitar

3. PRS style guitar or something with an in-between Gibson/Fender scale neck like an Ibanez SZ or PRS, or Gibson Nighthawk

4. Acoustic

5. Bass

nicksdad12    0

I try to thin the heard but every time I sell one I always seem to have 8 to 10 left. Right now I have 2 steel string, 2 classical, 1 bass, and 4 electrics.

scotland87    0
1 :guitardude:

I have 2, but one sucked, so I bought another one to motivate me a bit more to actually start learning!

After 6 months to a year of guitar lessons and playing my acoustic I will definately buy an electric guitar!

Cant wait for the first time I plug in a play an electric and blast out a well known riff, thats my goal at the moment! Think around July, August time I will buy an electric, when hopefully I will be able to play a song or two :-)

Yikes.. As many as it takes. I currently have 7, and each one is used for a different purpose. I use my Taylor 814ce with my 5 piece band, as the strong midrange really helps to cut through the mix. I use my Larrivee LV03E with my duo, as the Taylor is too overpowering for a duo, especially when one of us is using a nylon string. The Godin multiac SA nylon is used for solo spanish type stuff.