shonie777

12 String Woes...

shonie777    3

Ok...

I'm trying to tune my 12 string: DGDGBD

Everytime I get to tuning my skinny B string, it nearly gets to tune and....SNAP!

I've snapped 3 already and it's getting me mad.

Any suggestions?:dunno:

Shonie

OldG    3

The B and E strings on a 12 are tuned to each other while the E,A,D and G pairs are tuned an octave apart. if you try for an octave apart on the B's or E's they are gonna break for sure...

Try tuning the main strings ( including both B's and E's) using the online tuner here for reference and the tune the E,A,D and G octave strings with an electric tuner.

shonie777    3

My bad.....I meant the skinny G next to the B.

I have change my strings on this guitar many times and tuned it with no probs and never had this problem before.

rwjones3    0

Is it breaking at the bridge or nut? Did you change string guages? If it is breaking at the tuners or nut you might need to file and polish some on the nut slot. A heavier guage string might also help. Heavier would result in higher tension but seem less prone to break.

You could also order slightly heavier single strings for just the G in bulk from justStrings.com and keep using your normal set for the rest.

When I had a 12string, I usually just played it with 11 strings. I never could keep that tiny G string on.