DavePierce

What's your setup? Suggestions?

DavePierce    0

Mine is an old Fender tube amp, BOSS RC-2 loop station, a really small line 6 processor, and an Ibanez RG!

Whats yours and how does it sound. I really need to upgrade!!!! Give me suggestions...:winkthumb:

First off...Welcome to the forum Dave. Mine has gone the digital way, Samick AV6 into an Alesis firewire interface, thru Guitar rig 1{a software app} on the 'ol PC, sent out to Event B.A.S. powered monitors...no amp, no stomp box's, and record thru another app called Adobe Audition. Can't take it out very easy to play somewhere, but then at my skill level...that's a blessing to others{lol}. Sorry I can't offer any tips on upgrading, figure that's a personal desire kinda thing, Everybody has their own idea's and want's but maybe once again I'm wrong :dunno: ........enjoy

knight46    2

Hello DavePierce and welcome to the forum. I have taken a path similar to Kenny, Squier 51 to TonePort UX1 to computer or condenser mic for acoustic to TonePort to computer. Both using Reaper for recording.

I also have a MicroCube and a Fender 15g Frontman for amps, but play most of the time through the TonePort.

carol m    64

I record with acoustic plus mic to MAudio Pre USB (a sound card equivalent with pre-amp) or acoustic electric using line in to the MAudio and then use Reaper or Audacity (PC) or GarageBand on a Mac for the recording, effects and mixing. Very basic, but at my level it wouldn't really be any benefit to use much more.

timvass    0

HIi guys

Well I gave up on a single set up a while back and now I kind of have horses for courses...

Into my P.c and for recording I use an old boss GT3 . I have number of electric guitars but I like my fenders the best because they feel right although at least 2 have seymour duncan pickups fitted. I also use the pedals from my live setup for some tracks.

Strat for funk,clean sounds and creamy overdriven lead . Tele for rythm country rock blues (11s fitted its a simple tough guitar and most like an acoustic to play) 72 tele with p90s for tearing it up. I am also considering a les paul type guitar at the moment because I dont have one..

For live stuff I loose the boss pedal.I have a Marshal blues breaker,a dan echo and a eq pedal . My amps dont have effects loop(a function of budget as much as anything) so I use the Marshall od pedal to get the delay the "right" side of the distortion .

I favour valves and use an epiphone blues custom tube amp or a smaller clone of the much moded epi 5watt head and a single 100watt cab ...somtimes combinations of the 2 .

I have tried several digtal multi effects and solid state amps but I just cant get on with 'em live. To me they always feel sterlile and digital ,where as tubes respond more musicaly somehow producing sounds that I wasnt expecting on the night which inspire me to play better . I have read a lot of tech stuff as to why this is harmonics breakup blah blah...........zzzzzz. To me the they sound and "feel better .

Feel free to disagree infact I hope some one does or we will never move forward and we might all sound the same!

I dont think the audiance could tell the difference between tube and digital at a gig (usually a party or bar) but for me thats not the point. I can tell the difference and valves make me feel good ,that increases my confidense and make me play better .

IF I could only use one..... The best tube amp I could afford my danecho delay and a good tele with a chuncky neck and a good set of 10s . Mic it up with a SM57 and we are good to go live or recoreded .

These are very personal choices brought about my weaknesses as a player as much as by my strengths . My set up is always evolving but I always learn somthing from other peoples setups even if its what I dont like . So this is mine!

Tim

Daktari    0

Hi there,

My set up is mainly designed for live playing and I am still in the process of learning to adapt it so I can do some recordings.

Here goes:

Godin Solidac. Acoustic output clean and direct into one channel on Bose L1,(for live use). Electric output,(three pickups), into Digitech Voice live harmoniser. (It needs a clean guitar signal to work out the harmonies). Out and into Digitech multi FX then out and into Boss Looper. From here into a second Channel on Bose L1.

Audix or Beyer mic in/out of harmoniser and into another channel on Bose L1. (insert out to Alesis Midiverb).

OK, my first option for recording is really simple. I use my Boss BR600 and utilizing the two on-board stereo mics place it about 10 ft in front of the Bose tower and press record. Hey presto! A pretty good live recording.

I am currently exploring the murky depths of the inner possibilities the Boss has to offer and it really does have most things in there. This does give it a very steep learning curve but I have decided to stick at it and see what I can come up with.

It has built in FX for both voice and guitars, also a pretty good drum machine if needed. Eight tracks, each one having a further eight virtual tracks. 64 altogether, wow!

Also a mixing suite which can be used to tidy up and edit mixes before exporting to the computer.

I am certainly no tech wizard and so I am pretty slow at picking this up. I will be sure to post a few exaples once I get something I am half pleased with. It is great fun learning though.:yes:

All the best, Gordon.

carol m    64

Thanks for posting Tim (a bit late, sorry) and Gordon. It's interesting to know what you live-performers use because most of our members seem to be home recordists, so it's helpful for those wanting to break out into live gigs to know how you do it.

About being a tech wizard or not, I'm sure it's like everything else, we're all slow to grasp the basics at first, and then it gets easier the more you know. For my first attempt at recording I had my cheap dynamic mic stuck in a coffee mug 4ft to the right on the bookshelf and wondered why I wasn't getting a good signal. (skinnybloke's still laughing).

solidwalnut    5

My live rig these days is composed of rack effects, footswitches, an eight channel snake and an amp.

I use a Shure wireless unit for the guitars and I just swap out the connection on the transmitter for either electric or acoustic. I run a signal from the wireless unit to the pedal board, through a Boss tuner and to an ART A/B switch. The switch splits the signal path depending on whether I'm playing acoustic or electric.

The acoustic path sends the signal to a Shure P4M mixer/in-ear transmitter unit, out of there into a Lexicon MPX 1 unit for effects and then out to the house. The electric path takes the signal to a Trace Elliot SpeedTwin C50 (50W tube amp). The effects loop of the amp is connected to a Yamaha SPX90 effects unit. I mic the amp using a Shure SM27. I plug the mic cable into the mixer/in-ear transmitter first before sending the signal to the house. I really recommend this high SPL condensor microphone for guitar cabinets. It really sounds great. I know it's a bit pricey but if you can pick one up used you really cant go wrong (unless the mic is trashed of course!)

Daktari    0

Hi there,

As Carol rightly mentioned above, my current set up was put together mainly for live playing. I had no intention of making recordings but because my parents and some of my old friends are in the U.K. and I am I am here in Georgia, they started asking me for recordings so they could keep in touch with what I was doing musically.

That is why I went for the Boss Br600. It seemed like a good tool for placing in front of my Bose L1 and producing decent quality live recordings using the on-board stereo mics. These recordings would be a direct representation of what I sound like when playing out, no multi-tracking, just a simple stereo recording. However, I soon realized that this recorder is capable of a lot more than that and that is why I am slowly delving in to what this thing is capable of.

I am getting more and more in to experimenting with African style guitar music. I already have a couple of 'novice' recordings, each just about 1 minute long. I intend to use this a musical sketch pad where I build up a collection of ideas which I can go back to later and maybe develop some of them into full pieces.

If I can figure out how to attach these two short pieces, I will post them in the Recordings section. I use my djembe drum as the back beat then play some guitar and cabasa and I put some acoustic bass on one of them. Anyways, I'll give it a try and see if I can get them up there.

All the best, Gordon.:smilinguitar: