Fretsource

Fretsource lessons - guitar theory quiz

Hi all - I've added a guitar related music theory quiz with two levels of difficulty (beginners and beyond) to my lessons forum. I kept the beginner level roughly in line with the UK grade 1 music theory exams. That's about the level reached by beginners after a year of study - so it's not for complete beginners.

Anyway, have a go and feel free to comment, query, spot mistakes, etc. and thanks to Si16 for helping me check it out.

FRETQUIZ

This is great! I particularly like that you can take as long as you want to come up with an answer. :wheelchai A good range of questions too.

I was going pretty well on 'beginners' but....I just answered one that went 'Non musically speaking, what other name can you give to the note A?' more or less the wording I think.

Well that one stumped me, and when the answer was G# that stumped me as well. I probably misread the question, but there isn't a 'back' button. I don't understand the question or the answer, Fretsource - any clues?

Thanks Clancy and Carol.

Carol - I'm sure the question was, "What's another name for A flat (Ab)?", which is G#. But I'll check it in case I missed out the flat. Anyway, that's exactly the kind of mistakes I'm looking for - so you can have an extra point for that one :winkthumb:

Thanks guys. I'm working on adding some help pages to it, explaining what's covered in each level.

In the meantime can you give a quick primer on Minor Scales needed for the Beyond option.

I know there are a few different ones, but is it usually the Natural Minor that's usually meant when people refer to, say, A Minor Scale?

A Minor doesn't have any sharps or flats so it must be

A B C D E F G A which means T T S T T S T T isn't it?

So that's 1 2 3b 4 5 6b 7 8 but a flat 6 can't be right can it? And what happened to the flat 7? Has that 'augmented' up to the full tone?

I don't need a complete tutorial on all the minor scales, but a pointer in the right direction would be good. :)

By the way I came across that A flat question again and I had mis-read it - probably because the 'flat' was typed and not the symbol, plus sKimming the text.

Hi Carol

The natural minor scale is TSTTSTT not TTSTTSTT. It looks like you were assigning each T or S to the notes ABCDEFGA rather than the spaces between them.

You're wondering why, the 6th and 7th are supposed to be flat yet appear natural in the A minor scale, right?

Well it's because they are FLAT compared to the sharp notes of the A major scale.

A maj = A B C# D E F# G# A = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

A min = A B C D E F G A = 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8

The 3rd note © is flat compared to C# of the A major scale

And the 6th and 7th (F & G) are flat compared to F# and G# of the A major scale.

Just as with chords, scales are always compared to the standard major scale to find which notes are sharp or flat for that scale. It doesn't mean the actual notes have to be sharp or flat notes, like G# or Gb - just that they are flatter or sharper than in the major scale.

If you compare C major with C minor, it's clearer.

C D E F G A B C = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

C D Eb F G Ab Bb C = 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8

There you can see that this time the flat 3rd, 6th and 7th use actual flat notes (Eb Ab and Bb). That's because they are flat compared to the natural notes of C major.

Thanks FT, so you do have a flat 6 - I never knew that, and it's true I was confusing my Ts, Ss notes and intervals etc - a long time since I thought about them.

A great explanation (one I can understand!). Even the reason why it's 'Natural' - it never seemed natural to me. Thanks.

:)