archstanton

Is a Gibson worth it for a newbie?

Hello all I'm new to the forum. I am about to buy my first guitar and I want one that will last a lifetime. I'm thinking of getting a Gibson Les Paul traditional, my reasoning being it'll last forever and it will hold it's value well if I lose interest and decide to sell it. Are they really worth the money or would I be better off getting something cheaper and eventually getting a Gibson when my playing improves sufficiently. Thanks in advance.

I would honestly say get something cheaper. Yet, I am biased against Gibson ever since I played a Firebird, and compared it to a Fender American Strat. The Strat won.

If it feels good in your hands, and you can afford it, go ahead and get it. It's my opinion that Gibson charges an insane amount for guitars of similiar quality to less-costy guitars.

Les Pauls are pretty classic though.

If you can afford to start with a good instrument, go for it. You'll still lose money of you decide to sell it within a few years. After that, who knows? But you have a better change of getting an instrument that works correctly with a decent builder. Gibson is not my favorite, even though I own 4, but they are usually pretty good guitars. I prefer Fender style guitars for the Twang, but that's a personal preference.

If you get a expensive Gibson you are still going to loose a couple of hundred dollors/euro's worth of value when you walk out the door with it. For that amount you could get a ibanez or epiphone and throw it in the trash when you are tired of playing it.

If you really take to guitar playing your probably going to be like the majority of players on this forum and own 3 or more guitars. You could get a nice gibson then. When you start playing out and about your going to find a lot of situation were you wouldn't won't to bring a 3000$ guitar to the gig so its nice to have a good playing cheap one for those times.

Just my opionion, if you have the cash and thats the guitar you really want go for it.

Robert

not many have a chance to wonder if their first guitar should be a gibson, acoustic or electric. your a lucky one in that respect eh? the gibson will hold better value than most others, sometimes even going up in value. personally, i would go for a special one "minus the robot"... don't forget the lp types gibsons are heavy guitars and yes your paying for a great label and great woods that are seriously overpriced... a gibson is a gibson, it's all part of the picture. i love the gibson sound "i have the epiphone lp version" and have drooled over the gibsons at the shop more times than i can remember. but truth is, guitars are like people you either like them or you don't. but you should at least get to know them before you marry one. jackson, ibanez and and a few others make some great guitars under the thousand dollar mark. don't cheat yourself, go play them first!

Hi archstanton, welcome to the forum.

In my personal opinion, I don't think a Gibson is ever worth the cost. ;)

There are so many other quality companies that build fantastic guitars at a fraction of the cost. If you're after the Les Paul style I've heard that the Japanese Tokai guitars (apparently there are cheaper Korean made Tokais that aren't very good) are just as good as Gibson, but much, much less.

Tokai Guitars - Home

Here are some good photos of a Tokai AS70 Love Rock.

Stringkiller Guitar Gallery - Tokai AS70 Love Rock - Excellent Les Paul Repro

Good luck on your decision, and be sure to post pics! :D

-tkr

Don't forget buying the Les Paul is only half the story prepare to pony up some cash for a nice amp and cab or combo to go with it.

Personally, I believe, Gibsons (and Fenders to a lesser extent) are priced to a large degree on the branding. Guitars that play as well (or better) and sound as good are available for less with the same quality of build, components and timber.

Unless you get a custom shop guitar your instrument is made in a factory - and US workers get paid more per hour then Asian or Mexican workers adding to your costs. Whether they do a better job (remembering the body is machine cut) assembling the guitar or not is open to debate. Regardless of who assembles it the instrument will not sound different.

If it is a real Gibson Les Paul you want and you can afford it then go for it. Get a nice Vox AC30 to go with it and you will be rocking like Jimmy Page. You may not sound like him for a long time (or ever :( ).

If you've got the money and it's the guitar you like it really is your call but as has been mentioned the budget also has to include extras such as the Amp etc. so that pushes it up a bit, it's probably because I can't afford one but I've always been of the opinion that the big name brands always mark the price up trading on their name which is fair enough but they source out a lot of the work to Japan, China and Korea etc. these days and a lot of their guitars are made in these factories by the same people depending on the guitar they use different woods and hardware but they are pretty much mass produced by the same people unless they're stamped made in USA or Mexico etc. like some Fenders, I think the Japanese guitar makers caught up with the big guys a while back and can nearly match them for quality that's why Gibson and Fender bought some of them out, so it doesn't always mean the big guys are making the best guitars all the time, I think the best guitars are probably made by the smaller companies who do bespoke guitars or have one or two Luthiers working on them as there's more attention to detail, just my opinion though.

If you're just starting out I honestly think the best way to buy your first guitar is to head for the nearest store and try loads out, it may be that another one that might be cheaper than the Gibson will feel better to you but if the Gibson feels right and you have the Cash to spare always buy the one that feels right if that's a Gibson that's cool:winkthumb:

I was looking at Tokai LP's today and I reckon that's the way I'll go. A Made in Japan Tokai. They're pretty highly regarded.

I don't think Gibsons are worth the money, period. If you're a rockstar or a millionaire, fine, but not for average folks. Hear just as many stories about bad fretwork on Gibsons as Epiphones. To be honest, I don't even think Gibson is that cool as a brand.

Les Pauls are cool. That shape is cool. The sound is cool. But the name Gibson on the headstock? Who cares. Not worth the money for anyone, beginner or not. That being said, we pay about twice what people in the USA pay for guitars, so you're talking a semi-decent second hand car kind of price. If I halved the price...maybe.

Think about what type of music you're going to want to learn. A Les Paul won't play reggae or R&B very well, for instance.

Think about what type of music you're going to want to learn. A Les Paul won't play reggae or R&B very well, for instance.

I disagree. Les Pauls are used in Reggae and R&B all the time. They work just fine. It just depends on what you like.

I've owned a whole lot of guitars since I bought my first electric in the '60's. I'm still looking for that one that just feels perfect. I bought a Mosrite early on because I thought they were cool. As my skills increased, I realized it didn't really feel that good to me. I'd hate to spend a couple grand for a Gibson and later find out I didn't like it. I'd learn to play reasonably well on something cheap then decide on the ultimate after I was able to tell the difference.

My grandson is learning to drive I've convinced him he doesn't need a Ferrari ... there are lots of vehicles which will suit his needs for a more reasonable cost and also which will be easier to drive.

If you like the feel of a Gibson above all the others you've held, and if you prefer the sound over the other guitars that are available, then go for it!

I won't ever tell anyone what brand of guitar to play, just that whatever they choose should be a pleasure to hold and beautiful to their ears. I rest my case.

Keep in touch, and let us know what you end up with.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Yesterday I became the proud owner of a Gibson SG faded special. I found this style to be the most comfortable to play sitting on my lap and the shop was doing a bundle deal so the basic Gibson actually worked out about the same price as some of the shinier Epiphones would have been if I had to buy all the accesories.

I got the SG, a Marshall MG15CDR, lead, strap, and a digital tuner for just over 700 euro. Once again thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the coming months and I'll post some pics when I get time.

I envy you for the SG :)

I'm at the same boat (or used to... you jumped ships into a yacht) as you. I played guitar on and off for a few years, never got anywhere, but after rekindling my love and convinced that I'm sticking with it (even if only to supplement my bass playing) I've decided to shoot for a Gibson LP standard next month or in January, and maybe a semi-hollow.

Because y'know, a good looking, expensive guitar will make you feel guilty for not playing it. And when you get bored, it'll still make a nice wall decoration!

Just tell 'em it sets off the paint. I know I do with my fretless bass.

In my opinion, and you're gonna get lots of those, LP's are nice guitars but on the heavy side. BUT if you like the sound they do what they do very well. Another BUT is, you can pick up a really nice Fender Telecaster for alot less. and it will do everything from crunchy rock to blues and chicken pickin country licks. The MIM's ( made in Mexico ) Fenders are getting good reviews and sound great after a good setup from a real luthier. You can pick one up from GC for $500. Used American Standard Strats go for $700 or so as well. My advise, save some money and go for something that feels and sounds good. Become a collector later.

Hey!

I have 13 relatively inexpensive guitars except a "61" 335. Paid $600for that. Still inexpensive. The guitar I play most is a classical that I paid $30.00. All the expense of these are less that one LP. So, You can have the most expensive guitar in the world, but the trick to it is, what you can do with what you have.