carol m

ASIO drivers and Sampling Rates

Yes, yet another thread from me I'm afraid :oops:

Defining the problem: (hoping an orderly approach to problem solving will help!)

I've found that my MAudio USB Mobile Pre PCI interface isn't picking up signals for recording in both Channel 2's, but both Channel 1's are ok.

In the past I've been using Channel 1 'Line in' and Channel 2 'Mic in' and both worked fine - on my Mac and on the original install on the previous PC chip before installing the MAudio on this new PC chip.

My Investigation:

I checked all the PC sound and audio settings. They all show the MAudio selected in/out and channels 1/2 and working ok.

I worked through Reaper Preferances again and found the same for in and out, and I found my reaper sample rate was 44100 (no units specified).

But, I found that 'Drivers' was set at the default WAV out, so I changed it to ASIO and some more options became visible:

Enable Inputs (checked) -

• First = Line In 1
  • Last= Line In 2

Output Range -

• First = 1.Analogue 1/2 Mobile Pre
  • Last = 2.Analogue 1/2 Mobile Pre

I closed the window and got a message from Reaper:

The ASIO Sample Rate is not supported by one of the USB interfaces. Please check your sync settings in the control panel.

So I clicked OK and got another message from Reaper:

There was an error whle opening your audio Hardware

'Error initialising ASIO Driver'

Would you like to view your audio device configurations?

MAudio properties showed 44.1kHz and everything looked ok. There was nothing called Sync Settings, but both channels seemed to be set up right and not muted or anything.

I went to the MAudio Knowledge Base website and found among a whole afternoon's worth of 'stuff':

Mobile Pre supports Sample Rates/Bit Depth up to 48Hz/16Bit.

I went back to Reaper Preferences and changed Audio back to WAV out and it showed 16 Bit and 44100Hz. But the Channel 2's still didn't pick up sound.

I trawled around my PC Device Manager and found my Processor is AMD Athlon x 2 64 2 Dual Core.

I don't know what that 64 refers to, but when I checked the MAudio Drivers they were all system 32. Is this a conflict?

Or....**could this audio glitch have something to do with the Blue Screen crash involving hardware drivers soon after I started installing stuff onto this new chip?

I know these are lots of questions, but I've done a lot of ferreting around myself, but don't really know what it all means.

My PCs working fine, and I can stick to using only both Channel 1's, but the MAudio is 4 months old and the problem probably isn't in the MAudio. It seems reasonable to try and fix it.

So once again friends and helpers, if you've read this far in this post, I appreciate your stamina, and thanks in advance for any suggestions you might come up with.

:)

Hi Carol,

I'm not familiar with Reaper, but both reaper and the m-audio must be set to the same kHz setting. Generally for home recording, it is my understanding that you should use 44.1 as this is what CD's are rated for.

The 64 doesn't mean it is a 64 bit. Mine is an AMD 64 Anthalon, but it is only a 32 bit, so I don't think there is a conflict there. Right click on (my)Computer>properties and it will tell you what operating system you have i.e. 32 or 64 bit.

Have you downloaded the latest drivers from the M-audio site for your mobile pre? This could create a problem as well. I believe ASIO are the best drivers to use, so I would stick with that in Reaper. Are your other driver options MME and WDM?

I'm new at this as well, but there are a couple of things you can check out.

Good luck.

Annette

Nutty: thanks for your thoughts - I checked the My Comp and it is 32 bit system, so it's not that. I assumed that 44100 with no units is the same as 44.1kHz and they were using only Hz, so that's the same thing.

Their knowledge base says "M-Audio USB Audio devices can be used with ASIO, WDM or MME drivers. The use of ASIO or WDM drivers allows for the utilization of all available Inputs- and Outputs".

I've just found this web page which explains a lot about drivers ST Audio Knowledge Base

and I just skimmed it and will read later, but I don't think my choice of driver type is my main problem.

Rocker: I haven't tried that and will do it when I grit my teeth and tackle it again this afternoon.

mantablueraider: yes, after 'defining the problem' yesterday I kind of thought that uninstalling and re-installing might be the solution. The possible link to the blue screen crash, which I couldn't find the exact cause of, might be the key to this one - a pain in the neck though.

Before I do that I'll hook up my Mac to the MAudio and see if it has the same problem - if the MAudio still works ok on the Mac, I'll know it's a PC problem, not an MAudio problem.

Thanks for your help everyone - I'll track it down and ruthlessly exterminate this liittle sucker :devil2: ......I hope!

I'll be ba-ack.......

Carol,

Just a thought, did you double check the Master Volume (from Windows) control to see if there are separate adjustments for Mic vs Line In? You may have to go to the "Options" then "Properties" section to see if separate adjustments are available and are checked.

Tom C

tcliff: thanks for the thought - I checked that yesterday and everything looked ok.

mantablueraider: yes I'll do that if uninstalling and re-installing doesn't fix it.

I'm going to attack the problem right now, and report back when I have news...:escape:

been roaming the forums there at maudio, but haven't found your specific problem yet. someone mentioned faders needing to be turned up for those inputs but it sounds like a driver issue to me... since the inputs are there but no sound from them, also the errors you mentioned. i almost bought the maudio, did a lot of research on them... so i'm curious, will continue to help if i can....:yes:

mantablueraider: I don't think you should be put off MAudio products, I think it's probably my pc that's the problem - a sort of revenge attack because it thought I was finally winning....

Update: everything is still fine on my humble, old, slow, cheap, ebay, Mac iBook - all channels work fine.

However, on my PC...... I uninstalled and re-installed from the disc (only 3 months old and the latest driver). It started out ok, but said 'Finish' instead of 'continue' to the installation 'run' and 'you can now connect your appliance' window/instructions.

So I uninstalled and re-installed from disc twice more - no better. So I uninstalled and re-installed the driver from their website, and it took me through the correct sequence. I checked my onboard Audio, and the Reaper preferences, and everything was there, and nothing muted. My MAudio control panel the same. I plugged in to a channel 2 - nothing again. Channel 1 is still working fine but both Channel 2's are not recording.

I changed the WAV out to ASIO in Reaper Preferences, and once again I got that message about my ASIO drivers error etc....

I'm going to take a break from chasing this for a day or two, because I can still use it perfectly well, but with only WAV out, and then ask for help as you suggested from the MAudio Forum.

Update: I know I shouldn't say so - I know it's tempting fate but.....:yeahhh:

It's taken me all day. Here's what I did -

I did a System Restore to the day before my Blue Screen Crash - all or nothing I thought. Then I found I had 'lost' my AVG (mostly, not altogether), my External Maxtor Hard drive software (don't know why). And Reaper, but I knew I'd lose that because I'd installed it after that date.

So I trawled around to make sure I uninstalled all of AVG and re-installed it again - ok. I couldn't find a way to uninstall the bits still there from the Maxtor anywhere - not anywhere on my PC, or in their Support site (Seagate) but then found a 2 year old post on a help site that said the same thing had happened to them, and they just re-installed from disk anyway.

Which I did, and that worked too.

Then I plugged in the MAudio unit and prayed.......success! Everything's working perfectly.

I haven't re-installed Reaper yet because I need a break from all this 'fixing' stuff - it's exhausting - and play some guitar again.

Thank you friends and helpers - I couldn't have done it without you!:winner:

glad to hear! hopefully reaper is compatable, gazillions of help me post on the maudio site bout reaper. i use avg also, never had a problem with it. line 6 comes with an updater called line 6 monkey, a small program that keeps track of updates and my addons ect. also links to their website. so far so good, if only i had more time!

Glad you got it worked out Carol. I've been going through some issues with Sonar, my DAW, so I understand the frustration.

Annette

Yes mantablueraider, the maudio forum has a lot of stuff on it and I hadn't thought of that before. My original blue screen event was linked to a corrupted AVG install download plus a 'hardware driver error' which I couldn't track down, so I think it was a combination of factors - maybe the external Hard drive drivers since they got wiped in the System Restore, and that interfered with the MAudio maybe - don't know, but hopefully it's fixed now.

Nutty: does your in-house tech support help you with your DAW? That would be nice - the startling truth about our in-house users and/or tech support is that I am now 'the expert' on DAWS or Drivers etc - but only because they know nothing about music software, and, amazingly.... are not in the least interested.:D

Nutty: does your in-house tech support help you with your DAW? That would be nice - the startling truth about our in-house users and/or tech support is that I am now 'the expert' on DAWS or Drivers etc - but only because they know nothing about music software, and, amazingly.... are not in the least interested.:D

No, I have the same problem as you Carol. When it comes to the DAW I lose him and he's not interesting in learning it either! So, I rely heavily on the Cakewalk support forum. The guys are excellent there, so I'm lucky.:yes:

Annette

Yes mantablueraider, the maudio forum has a lot of stuff on it and I hadn't thought of that before. My original blue screen event was linked to a corrupted AVG install download plus a 'hardware driver error' which I couldn't track down, so I think it was a combination of factors - maybe the external Hard drive drivers since they got wiped in the System Restore, and that interfered with the MAudio maybe - don't know, but hopefully it's fixed now.

just wanted to let you know "MANTA" for short is fine for me, actually thats what i'm used to with my gaming clan. 14 letters is way too much to type....

just wanted to let you know "MANTA" for short is fine for me, actually thats what i'm used to with my gaming clan. 14 letters is way too much to type....

Haha, I was copy/pasting it! 14 letters is way beyond my attention span.....

Manta it is then - is it ok to not use all upper case? That gets my fingers knotted.

I'm not big on gaming, but when I was trying out a few a while back, I went with 'Captain Courageous'. :oops:

Haha, I was copy/pasting it! 14 letters is way beyond my attention span.....

Manta it is then - is it ok to not use all upper case? That gets my fingers knotted.

I'm not big on gaming, but when I was trying out a few a while back, I went with 'Captain Courageous'. :oops:

manta is good...;)

Another update: although I got my system working on WAV I could not get any software program to record in ASIO. There was still a driver conflict issue somewhere. But now I think I've fixed it properly.

I couldn't uninstall 2 of the software components of my Maxtor backup hard drive, and also not all of the Reaper files - got error messages saying 'unable to access' etc. So I did another System Resore to before the Maxtor was installed and then I was able to delete the offending files (not actually uninstall, but I deleted anyway). Also every trace of Reaper the same way.

Did a new clean install of the MAudio, re-installed Reaper and...all input channels were being picked up using the default WAV system. I changed Reaper preferences to ASIO, held my breath, closed the window...and...no error messages, smooth as silk, and... all recording inputs working properly. I hope now it's fixed properly.

I'm not sure if I should re-install the Maxtor ever again though. I don't really want to spend another $200 when the one I have has 80% capacity still unused. Anyone have any views? I would know what to do next time if it did it again, but it's such a waste of time and effort.

It didn't last! Got the same ASIO error message - it turns out it's a well known bug in MAudio although they do have suggestions in their fourm.

However......Are you some sort of genious or what, RB???

Clearly the answer is 'yes'.....I changed the sampling rate in Reaper UP (!) to 48000 from the default 44100 and it looks like problem is solved.

Thanks Keith. :claping:

It didn't last! Got the same ASIO error message - it turns out it's a well known bug in MAudio although they do have suggestions in their fourm.

However......Are you some sort of genious or what, RB???

Clearly the answer is 'yes'.....I changed the sampling rate in Reaper UP (!) to 48000 from the default 44100 and it looks like problem is solved.

Thanks Keith. :claping:

I have ESP - Extra Special Powers. Also, I sometime get lucky.

I have ESP - Extra Special Powers. .

I'll remember that and will never get uppity with you - could be a dangerous move - your powers are awesome! :eek:

With a slight shift of perspective, that could be Enormous Sexy Pants - the powers of positive thinking need to be encouraged in desperate situations. ;)

And while you're there, how about using your special powers to solve this one "1. Down: Sham - 5 letters, starts with m and ends with s"? :dunno: