carol m

Can't get a VST to do anything in Reaper.

carol m    64

I've been trying to find a cello sort of vst and have dowloaded and installed Cheezemachine and DSK Strings - both free. I've got them into Reaper, and can select them from the FX page, and I get the 'console' of nobs and sliders, but they aren't doing anything to the guitar melody recording I made to test them out on.

The reaper onboard effects work fine. Have I misunderstood what a cello vst will do?

At first I expected it to have loops or something from the vst itself because they said it could be used as a standalone app on PCs but I could see no way of generating sound with the options and controls that it has.

I thought if I used it in Reaper, I'd play a note on my guitar with the fx loaded and it would sound like a cello which didn't happen either - it didn't change the sound of the recorded track (or as I played guitar) at all.

Any suggestions? Both vst's were recommended in various reviews I read. Maybe someone else can download them and work out how they work, or have a clue about where I'm going wrong?

Tekker    1

Hi Carol,

Those are VST instruments (VSTi) which need to be played via MIDI, so they won't work on guitar or other audio recordings. You can use a MIDI keyboard or program the notes one at a time in the MIDI editor.

Also, try out Cellofan (also free) I've used that one and I really like it.

-tkr

carol m    64

Thanks Tekker (once again!), I'm always a bit confused when sites use the word MIDI - the term seems to mean different things in different contexts. Is it the 'i' in VSTi that tells you that? I thought if it said 'instrument', I wouldn't need one of my own....:unsure:

I tried to get cellofan first choice but somehow couldn't find a current working download - I'll have another look on the web now.

Oops! I already have cellofan! Which probably means I wasn't able to get it to work in Reaper last week, I'll have another go.

carol m    64

Stand by for incoming dumb question 2x? Cellofan is a VSTi as well, I've added it to Reaper, get the interface on screen in the Reaper window, but no sound altering to be seen or heard.

There's a cello on ebay going for about $200......must it come to this?? :blink:

But wait! I'm forgetting my manners.......how is your PC going Tekker? Did you ever sort it out?

Tekker    1
Thanks Tekker (once again!), I'm always a bit confused when sites use the word MIDI - the term seems to mean different things in different contexts.

MIDI is only data and it doesn't contain any actual audio. It contains information that tells which note you played, how long you held the note, how hard you pressed the key, etc. VSTi's use the MIDI instructions to make the sounds.

Since MIDI is just data/instructions it can be used for other things as well (like MIDI controllers for recording programs).

Is it the 'i' in VSTi that tells you that? I thought if it said 'instrument', I wouldn't need one of my own....:unsure:

Yes, the "i" stands for Instrument and that means MIDI.

Cellofan is a VSTi as well, I've added it to Reaper, get the interface on screen in the Reaper window, but no sound altering to be seen or heard.

I haven't done any MIDI in Reaper, but here is a video that might help get you going.

YouTube - Open Labs Reaper Tutorial - Add a VSTi

how is your PC going Tekker? Did you ever sort it out?

I've been really busy between school, homework, and playing/practicing with the church band I play drums in, so I haven't had a chance to do anything with my PC yet. After almost a year of troubleshooting this computer, I'm getting tired of messing with it. I may end up just getting new parts and build my PC own again, I want to get back to recording when summer gets here.

-tkr

carol m    64

I haven't done any MIDI in Reaper, but here is a video that might help get you going.

YouTube - Open Labs Reaper Tutorial - Add a VSTi

A great tutorial Tekker, and what did I learn? I have so much to learn about Reaper! Which I will do, but maybe not today - I have to sort out some audio driver issues - yes I started another thread. :oops:

After almost a year of troubleshooting this computer, I'm getting tired of messing with it. I may end up just getting new parts and build my PC own again, I want to get back to recording when summer gets here.

Yes, it's exhausting isn't it, and such a waste of 'leisure' time and mental effort (mine and a whole team of friends and helpers here at GFB) - and you in particular - thanks. I got my chip changed (same chip as yours) and it fixed the problem - took 11 months and 10 days from original purchase.

Tekker    1
A great tutorial Tekker, and what did I learn? I have so much to learn about Reaper! Which I will do, but maybe not today - I have to sort out some audio driver issues - yes I started another thread. :oops:

Haha. Yep, there is a lot to the program. I tinker with Reaper occasionally so I don't know all that much about it either. I know the basics for audio recording, but haven't delved into the MIDI side of Reaper. But if Reaper keeps growing at the rate it has been, I imagine I'll be switching over to Reaper eventually.

Yes, it's exhausting isn't it, and such a waste of 'leisure' time and mental effort (mine and a whole team of friends and helpers here at GFB) - and you in particular - thanks. I got my chip changed (same chip as yours) and it fixed the problem - took 11 months and 10 days from original purchase.

You said it! I may end up selling my current one to my parents and then build a new computer since everything on this computer works fine (great in fact) except for my recording equipment.

I've been pricing quad core components and the prices have really come down on them since the last time I looked. AMD quad core processor and motherboard for under $300. That's not bad at all. :winkthumb:

-tkr

Tekker    1
Ever thought of buying a Mac? :escape:

It's funny you mention that, I'm actually using a Mac at school right now. I'm taking a computer music class and we're using iMacs which are running Logic... and I'm not a fan at all. Logic is such a clunky editor compared to Samplitude and I seem to spend more time fighting with Logic than working. If this is one of the best audio applications that the Mac has to offer, I'm not impressed. ;)

My recording app of choice is PC only, so until Samplitude goes to Mac (and they have said that they don't ever intend to) I think the Mac option is off the table.

-tkr

carol m    64

I don't know about Logic, I think Eddie and Rockerbob use it, but the advantage of a Mac (as I understand it) is you have the stability of Mac, and can run Windows XP on it as well. RB says it works better on Mac than on PC.

Tekker    1
I don't know about Logic, I think Eddie and Rockerbob use it, but the advantage of a Mac (as I understand it) is you have the stability of Mac, and can run Windows XP on it as well. RB says it works better on Mac than on PC.

But it's also a lot more expensive for Mac hardware.

The problem with my PC is that I bought it really cheap from a company that didn't have very good reviews, but I figured if I ran into problems that it could be fixed... Apparently that was not the case though as the cause of the problem is still unknown. So next time I'm buying the parts and building it myself because my old PC that I built worked fine.

-tkr

eddiez152    129

Tekker,

Digital Performer is first choice by Rocker and Smort. I am beginning to learn it as well. Todd and I do use Logic and basic Garage Band.

For me however, the DAW is not the key reason of my choice.

The main reason has been integration of components that the system readily seems to recognize each time I plug something in.

If it were not for my Mac I would never been able to begin recording, but that may be my own fault because I do not have time for tutorials or reading.

Anyway, I do hope you get things sorted out with your choices.

:) eddie

Tekker    1

Hi Eddie,

The main reason has been integration of components that the system readily seems to recognize each time I plug something in.

If it were not for my Mac I would never been able to begin recording, but that may be my own fault because I do not have time for tutorials or reading.

Up until this computer I've never had any problems with PC's not recognizing my recording gear. The M-Audio MIDI keyboard I got before, simple plug and play and my Aardvark audio interface, same thing. But I've learned my lesson not to buy from shady companies. ;) We actually bought our family PC from the same company at the same time and that one won't boot up when both memory sticks are in (it doesn't work with my memory either, which does work in my computer). Two out of two had problems, so there is definitely something wrong with that company.

-tkr