starsailor

Where do you play and record and what problems do you encounter?

starsailor    20

In a question asking mood today, just interested in where members play and record and how many problems, interferences they get, I used to use my bedroom but constant interruptions were a problem, my Wife used to come in when I was recording and say are you recording usually towards the end of a song so now I've relocated to a shed we had spare which is better, at the moment my Grandaughter is outside crying (She's fine, bit of a tantrum) and people do come in unannounced sometimes but it's better than it was, we're lucky that we don't have any problems with traffic as we live in the middle of nowhere sure that's a bit of a problem in the city:guitardude:

Cheers

Chris

knight46    2

The biggest problem that I have is when I play back what I have recorded someone has slipped in and inserted some very bad playing and singing in place of the great stuff I had just recorded.:crying2::)

Probably the biggest problem I face is having enough time to practive something so that it sounds decent (at least decent to my ears).

starsailor    20
The biggest problem that I have is when I play back what I have recorded someone has slipped in and inserted some very bad playing and singing in place of the great stuff I had just recorded.:crying2::)

Probably the biggest problem I face is having enough time to practive something so that it sounds decent (at least decent to my ears).

:laughingg: Happens to me too, play brilliantly, go for a cup of tea play it back and someones swapped it for some out of tune track with a guy groaning on it, I've put a lock on my door but it's still happening:dunno:

I'd quite happily sit and play guitar all day, on my days off I do but life tends to get in the way, I never thought I'd be happy to retire but I'm looking forward to it now, should practice a bit more though to be honest rather than play:)

Good to see you around Knight, hope all's well with you:)

Cheers

Chris

eddiez152    129

Not being able to record anything in my daytime hours. My recording stuff has always started at 10pm after my work day when the place shuts down.

By 2-3 am the enthusiasm shuts down, my fingers are sore, my voice is gone and maybe tomorrow begins to look real good.

The day time hours are usually busy with other things especially on the weekends. I feel like I had a major accomplishment when I do finish something no matter how it may come out in the end.

Getting older sucks.

cshude    0

It's been so long since I've recorded anything- had a laptop crash on me and my office has too much noise in it to do quality recording. When the laptop was running however, I recorded in my clothes closet. Quietest place in the house, and just the right amount of sound deadening and reflection for a good sound. I've also done a lot of singing while recording in the car- not while driving, however. ;)

starsailor    20

Thanks for your replies Eddie and Chris, I have the weekends free apart from any jobs that need doing but it's a bit difficult to record round here as we have a garage next door that makes a lot of noise during the day, so I do the recording in the evenings but don't always feel like it, if I do something I don't get going till quite late and it does tend to end up a late night as I struggle to get things right and the enthusiasm does go, I have been out all night sometimes lose track of time but don't know why I keep going especially if I'm having a bad night, the last month I've taken to bringing up the Daw on the computer as a habit, makes me think about recording more and I often just press record and see what happens.

How bigs your closet Chris, I can't swing a Cat in mine, people have done albums in pretty strange places, part of James Blunts first Album was recorded in Carrie Fishers Bathroom apparently, and Charlene Spiteri from the band Texas recorded some of her last album in her Kitchen, think before all the effects were available people did use different places in the house to see what sound they could get, how do you go about recording in your Car do you just find somewhere quiet and sing away, I think Astratslinger did the first recording he posted in his truck with a Zoom 3 or similar that came out pretty good.

Hope you can get your laptop sorted out Chris, this one I'm using now had a bit of a problem with the Mixcraft Program I use so I'll have to do a bit of a troubleshoot, find computers annoying to say the least.:winkthumb:

Best Wishes

Chris

i always seem to play my acoustic at the kitchen table with my morning coffee until i leave for work, just gazing out the bay window. iv'e always been a morning person... i wind up at the pc in the evenings mostly and by then i'm ready for the humbucker tones. lotsa noise as my pc is in the living room with the tv, my 2 100+ pound dogs and the wife are usually lounging. don't use a mic much as you can imagine but the headphone out on my interface lets me crank it up and wail till my back aches. suits me fine for now!:)

cshude    0

It's a small walk-in closet. Not a whole lot of room in there at all. But it is the quietest area in the whole house. As far as the laptop goes, it's pretty much toast. My son cracked the screen a few months back, so I hooked it up to an old monitor and used it as a desktop computer, but then it went on the fritz and looks like the video card might be blown. Combined cost to fix would be close to $600. So it's sitting in a cabinet until I decide what I want to do with it. I may just wait a few years and see if i can pick up the parts on the cheap and fix. Or I may put it up on ebay or something and sell it off as a parts machine. Either way, I'm not set these days for doing much in the way of recording. Oh well. I'm so busy right now, I don't really have any time for it anyhow.

Stratrat    0

I've got my humble little home studio set up in my upstairs loft, an entire room dedicated solely to music stuff....my biggest problem right now is finding time to do anything with it! Work hours have been long, plus my commute is over an hour each way - most days I'm lucky if I can squeeze in a few minutes around midnight with the Squier Tele and Micro Cube that are always within arms' reach of my computer desk. I barely have time to practice right now, let alone perfecting songs enough to record them. I'm not complaining too loudly, though - with the economy the way it is right now, I'm happy to have a job that pays the bills - long hours & long commute or not!

No problems with traffic or people barging in - it's just the wife and I in the house, and if she hears me in the loft she assumes I'm recording, so she doesn't barge in on me. The two main problems I encounter are: 1) the loft isn't enclosed, so most of my recording is done when she's out of the house - otherwise the sound would carry down and drown out her tv watching; 2) With neighbors fairly close (we live in tract housing), I have to keep the volume at reasonable levels and do my recording at reasonable hours. The alternative, if the muse really strikes me at an odd time, is "stealth" recording with the little Boss Micro BR and a pair of headphones - not optimal, but good enough to get an idea/inspiration recorded & saved.

...people have done albums in pretty strange places, part of James Blunts first Album was recorded in Carrie Fishers Bathroom apparently, and Charlene Spiteri from the band Texas recorded some of her last album in her Kitchen...

James Wilsey (Chris Isaak's former guitarist - think "Wicked Game") recorded his entire last album in his house - his kitchen & dining room IIRC. In an interview I heard, Neil Peart of Rush said that much of their last album (Snakes and Arrows) was recorded collab-style....one of them would lay a track down at home and e-mail it to the others, who would cut their tracks and forward it on.

kiendoc    0

I have no problem with noise (except some of my playing seems like nois sometimes). I'm in the process of putting music to some lyrics I wrote and as soon as I tweak it and run it past my daughter I'm warnig you, I'll put it on.

Geesh, I can't even spell noise , now where's that darn dicshunari?:confused:

starsailor    20
I've got my humble little home studio set up in my upstairs loft, an entire room dedicated solely to music stuff....my biggest problem right now is finding time to do anything with it! Work hours have been long, plus my commute is over an hour each way - most days I'm lucky if I can squeeze in a few minutes around midnight with the Squier Tele and Micro Cube that are always within arms' reach of my computer desk. I barely have time to practice right now, let alone perfecting songs enough to record them. I'm not complaining too loudly, though - with the economy the way it is right now, I'm happy to have a job that pays the bills - long hours & long commute or not!

No problems with traffic or people barging in - it's just the wife and I in the house, and if she hears me in the loft she assumes I'm recording, so she doesn't barge in on me. The two main problems I encounter are: 1) the loft isn't enclosed, so most of my recording is done when she's out of the house - otherwise the sound would carry down and drown out her tv watching; 2) With neighbors fairly close (we live in tract housing), I have to keep the volume at reasonable levels and do my recording at reasonable hours. The alternative, if the muse really strikes me at an odd time, is "stealth" recording with the little Boss Micro BR and a pair of headphones - not optimal, but good enough to get an idea/inspiration recorded & saved.

James Wilsey (Chris Isaak's former guitarist - think "Wicked Game") recorded his entire last album in his house - his kitchen & dining room IIRC. In an interview I heard, Neil Peart of Rush said that much of their last album (Snakes and Arrows) was recorded collab-style....one of them would lay a track down at home and e-mail it to the others, who would cut their tracks and forward it on.

I didn't know that about the Rush album seems there's not a lot of difference now in how us and the pro's do stuff, I know they can afford hi tech gear to record with but they've embraced the whole home recording ethic, kind of thinking things haven't changed much, listened to some old Beatles tracks the other day which they recorded in a mates house, think a lot of the early stars started that way doing demos, the technology's changed but the way demos are done hasn't really but they are better quality than before, well mine aren't but on the whole they are:)

This thread has made me think a bit, I don't seem to have as busy a life as some, you guys have a hell of a lot to fit in, that's a long commute Stratrat, mine's about 20 minutes each way, usually catch the bus now and walk home which takes a bit longer but after reading this thread I appreciate the spare time I have, and won't complain in the future, to be honest I'd quite happily retire now but like you say we're lucky to have jobs at the moment, don't make a lot of cash but I'm happy with what I have.

All The Best

Chris

starsailor    20
I have no problem with noise (except some of my playing seems like nois sometimes). I'm in the process of putting music to some lyrics I wrote and as soon as I tweak it and run it past my daughter I'm warnig you, I'll put it on.

Geesh, I can't even spell noise , now where's that darn dicshunari?:confused:

Good to hear you're making progress with your song Kiendoc, look forward to hearing you, sure it will be great.:winkthumb:

Best Wishes

Chris

Ah, problems. Where do i start LOLz.

I have all the gear (PC, amp, gtr, keyboard) placed at the enclosed balcony near the living room. Living in an apartment, space is very limited. I dont use mics so noise is not a prblm. If time permits, I usually record on a weekend.

Like today, recording is done in between doing household chores. And the wifes not in town too so I can 'get away' with anything (almost) :clap: .

The kids usually leave me be when I'm messing with my gtr. The only thing I wish for most is for more time.

Ah, problems. Where do i start LOLz.

I have all the gear (PC, amp, gtr, keyboard) placed at the enclosed balcony near the living room. Living in an apartment, space is very limited.

I dont use mics so noise is not a prblm. But like kiendoc says... "except some of my playing seems like noise most times". heheh

If time permits, I usually record on a weekend. Like today, recording is done in between doing household chores. And the wifes not in town too so I can 'get away' with anything (almost) :clap: .

The kids usually leave me be when I'm messing with my gtr. The only thing I wish for most is for more time. sigh