Noodler

Youtube Favourite music vids

starsailor    20

Neat cover by Juliet Lloyd, loved the little Willies, Norah Jones was cool. great song:claping:

I like the video for this song, all in black and white, neat little song too.

RockaBilly    0
Yeah I haven't got a lot of time for critics, at the end of the day a critic is just a person with an opinion like everybody else with their own taste in music, don't know why they're put on a pedastal.

Grand Funk are off on tour again this year, I know they only have two original members and don't know how the band compares to the original one but they have some heavyweight musicians with them, they hit Texas in June, here's the tour Schedule, haven't tracked down the DVD yet but found the Greatest hits which has a DVD of rare footage with it, so I think I'll get that if I can't find the other one.

departures

Cheers

Chris

Blue Oyster Cult only have 2 members left that we jokingly call Two Oyster Cult but the members now are good musicians. It just not the same for me as I missed the original guys. They are the Blue Oyster Cult.

As for the links, keep 'em coming. :)

An now for some guitar awesomeness:

7 Unexpected Moments of Guitar Awesomeness - Audiotuts+

Be sure to check out Lindsey and Prince.

starsailor    20

The Two Oyster Cult classic, don't know if you know them but I went to see 10cc a few months back and they only have one member left, the rest of the band are session musicians that worked with the band over the years, the one original member took over lead vocals so it wasn't quite the same but it was a good night out and they were on top form, talked to the band too, friendly bunch.

It was good to see a guitarists list without the usual suspects, and good to see guys like Johnny Greenwood, Prince and Kurt Cobain getting a mention, always liked Lindsey Buckingham liked the bit about him quitting the band and Fleetwood Mac having to get two guitarists to replace him, Prince is truly awesome brilliant all round but not mentioned as much as he should be for his guitar work.

Here's another guy I like Paul Kossoff, this is quite a long track also features another guitarist I like John Martyn both these greats have gone now John died this year never really got the recognition for his guitar skills but he got an OBE from the Queen last Christmas which he richly deserved, just wish he'd got it earlier, this is a Track called Time Away tried to find a live track of this but not sure if one exists, it's 18 minutes long but it's split over 2 videos be interesting to Know how Paul gets that sound very cool guitarist some soaring guitar in this, apologies for the black and white photo of a naked girl in this just a warning if the children are around, it's those hippy chicks couple of reefers and off came the clothes just couldn't help themselves:yes:

Cheers

Chris

starsailor    20

It's hard to keep up I've got too many good tunes floating round my head, great links Simon, Jeff Beck looked so relaxed in that video, brilliant playing and he just made it look effortless one of the greatest, loved that Roy Buchanan track too.

Doc Watson, Ricky Skaggs and Alison Krauss sound great together, Steve Martin's good that was a great performance from everyone.

Haven't heard Cactus before they rocked, liked Gov't mule too hadn't heard of them either, don't know if these bands have come over here, being put onto some great bands through these video threads, Stevie Ray Vaughan yep I know him, brilliant:winkthumb:

Change of tempo, Marianne Faithfull, one of my all time favourite female vocalists, great gritty voice, mesmerizing, fascinating Woman good to see her still performing been through the mill a bit.

Noodler    1

SRV is always good. cshude, I don't know if you know that SRV is like an encyclopedia of blues players or not. But he is. Here he is with one of his heros:

If you listen to Albert for a while, you can hear so much of his playing in Stevie's stuff, which is cool. This just shows it straight out. Cool video.

That Marianne Faithful clip was an 11/10 one. Just better than perfect. Great post.

cshude    0

oh, yeah- I've got the Albert King & SRV version of Born Under a Bad Sign on the MP3 player. What I have always loved about Albert King was that his playing was flat out ferocious. As far as SRV goes, I can't help but wonder where he would have gone with his playing if he was still around. Could you imagine him putting his spin on jazz, for example?

Noodler    1

Riviera Paradise?

I honestly don't think him, Jimi, Jon Bonham, Bon Scott, Jim Morrison, any of them really would have created a huge amount more different stuff. They stuff they did create was absoultely huge, but their stars shone brightly and burned out quickly.

Greats like these tend to either go poppy or just create more of the same. ACDC still sounds pretty much the same. The Red Hot Chilli Peppers used to be huge Hendrix fans (listen to Mothers Milk), then they went and did their own thing, then they kind of become poppy, but still them. Do you reckon what EC does now is as cool as Cream?

Really the torch has to get passed on and reinterpreted. This guy is one of the new SRV/ Hendrices. His tone is just freakin awesome.

Just watch how he copies the masters but makes it his own:

Another would be Derek Trucks. What do you reckon?

cshude    0

Good points, Noodler. Re: SRV and jazz, I was thinking more along the lines of what he might do if he teamed up with Herbie Hancock or someone like that. Riviera Paradise is sweet though.

Insofar as the "greats" of rock/pop goes, it's almost like these guys run at the wall of where music is at the time and knock it back a few feet to a new place and there's just not enough energy left to do it again. The Beatles may be one of the few bands that had the juice to do it.

You are right on with Bonamassa and Trucks. Both monster players flying under the radar of most people. Another one is Johnny Hiland.

Noodler    1

Not going to be everyone's taste, but I like this song and clip:

She's so pretty.:wub: Not the singer, the singer's a man! The brunette lady.

The band is pretty evil, but this song seems OK.

starsailor    20
If you liked that one from Cactus, take a listen to this one. One of the great bands nobody's heard of.

YouTube - Cactus (Parchman Farm)

I can't understand why these guys didn't go Global they're as good or better than most of their contempories, what happened, good to see them still together but it's a mystery that they're not up there with Led Zeppelin etc.

starsailor    20
Not going to be everyone's taste, but I like this song and clip:

She's so pretty.:wub: Not the singer, the singer's a man! The brunette lady.

The band is pretty evil, but this song seems OK.

Don't mean to ruin their image but they're not so scary in real life, my youngest Daughter plays drums and went to a workshop run by the Drummer in Cradle of Filth he does a few of them, apparently he was quite nice didn't try and suck her blood or anything, I'm glad he didn't carry her off to the Demons' lair or anything but part of me feels let down, I felt the same when I found out Alice Cooper plays golf with David Cassidy:)

This lady's different to them but she's a real gothic looker, she was Goth before it was fashionable, this is one of her lighter ones, she's called Lene Lovich.

Bit of a nut crusher that Country song, nice one:laughingg:

Noodler    1
apparently he was quite nice didn't try and suck her blood or anything, I'm glad he didn't carry her off to the Demons' lair or anything

I'd ask for my money back! :laughingg: Actually that is interesting. I was amazed when I heard an interview with Marilyn Manson for the same reason. He wasn't "nice" but super-intelligent. Very switched-on.

part of me feels let down, I felt the same when I found out Alice Cooper plays golf with David Cassidy
I actually thought it was great to find out about Alice Cooper. He is very sane. He says you have to play that character on stage and leave it on stage. He says that's what killed Jimi, Janis, Jim, etc. You can't sustain that image off-stage. I look at him as a bit of a hero now. Do you remember that bit in Wayne's World? Puts a different spin on it now...based on fact!

That clip was kind of dark and poppy at the same time, like Babooshka by Kate Bush.

This one's a bit "Evanescence", but it's cool too. Excellent guitar sound.

starsailor    20
I'd ask for my money back! :laughingg: Actually that is interesting. I was amazed when I heard an interview with Marilyn Manson for the same reason. He wasn't "nice" but super-intelligent. Very switched-on.

Yeah, he was just an ordinary guy trying to make a living and the Workshops are good my Daughter's been to a few, good of him to share his talent and he is good at what he does. Marilyn Manson is cool, when he was with Dita Von teese they made an interesting couple knew exactly how to manipulate the media apparently he's best mates with Ozzy Osbourne, who's another guy who's more switched on than people think.

I actually thought it was great to find out about Alice Cooper. He is very sane. He says you have to play that character on stage and leave it on stage. He says that's what killed Jimi, Janis, Jim, etc. You can't sustain that image off-stage. I look at him as a bit of a hero now. Do you remember that bit in Wayne's World? Puts a different spin on it now...based on fact!

Alice Cooper is very normal really, his interviews are always interesting, Waynes World is one of my favourites.

YouTube - Alice Cooper in Milwaukee

Agree with him, the ones that try and keep the alter ego going do burn out, Johnny Rotten from the Sex Pistols has resorted to sending himself up did a butter advert recently got a bit of flak from his fans said he sold out but some fans can't seperate reality from fiction think that's where some artists should show more responsibility, a guy called Julian Cope used to cut himself for real on stage but some fans copied him thought self harming was cool, don't think all stars really understand the responsibilities that go with being in the public eye.

Think David Bowie ditched Ziggy Stardust because the character took over his life and the boundaries got blurred.

That clip was kind of dark and poppy at the same time, like Babooshka by Kate Bush.

This one's a bit "Evanescence", but it's cool too. Excellent guitar sound.

Lene Lovich was quite strange, she had a few hits but I think she was more comfortable with deeper stuff, she's still performing, plays a mean saxaphone too. Kate Bush always fascinates me, wish she'd do a bit more her Albums are few and far between these days.

Like Evanescance so liked Lacuna Coil, the guitars made that song, excellent.

This was a good little interview with Alice Cooper not long but interesting, he gave a prediction for music in the 80s, pretty accurate.

Noodler    1

Speaking of David Bowie, I never heard this song until the other night. It was on Life on Mars, and it just played the heart-strings:

What do you think of this song in terms of responsibility?

Songs like this one have been linked to suicide in teens. Another was suicide note. I really, really like this song, but I think mixed with teen angst it's a bit dangerous. Especially, the "death greets me warm" bit. They say it has nothing to do with suicide, but I don't buy it. What do you think?

That bit starting at 4:13 that sounds so cool is quite easy to play. Most of it is actually, except the end solo. One of my favourite riffs to play when I can play loud. :smilinguitar:

Edit: Oh I get it now. Romantic period. Like Adam and the Ants, etc. I wonder if that's what he meant? Amazing if it is!

Noodler    1
Trance anyone? :D

They're pretty good.

Catchy. Boppin aloing to it. Easy on the ears. Not what I normally listen to, but I like it. Good post.