6string

Frank Zappa talks about solos

Doug    12

Here's ana example of a solo...

YouTube - Frank Zappa - Suicide Chump

You know, when i was a kid I idolized Frank Zappa and could spew Zappa lyrics endlessly, but i have to admit his 20 minute solos at his concerts just left me cold. Sacrilege, I know. 'Course I was only 16 or 17 and didn't know a diminished chord from an augmented. (Still don't ;) ).

On another note, I remember watching a re-run of a Monkeys TV show once, and you nkow at the end they would sometimes round out the show with some filler - interview and stuff. On this show Mike Nesbit was interviewing Frank Zappa but he was pretending to be Frank and Frank was pretending to be Mike. A total waste of time, but it was interesting.

:dunno:

starsailor    20

Probably sacrilege again but I think Frank Zappa was similar to a lot of the progressive rockers of the late 60s, and 70s say Yes or Emerson Lake and Palmer in that there was a strong element of self indulgence in their work, I think the audience were welcome to come along for the ride and it was good if they liked it but the audience almost became irrelevant as the artists were completely immersed in their music, I think though that's also why prog. rock got blown away as younger audiences came through they just couldn't relate to these behemoths of rock, some of the bands like Genesis reinvented themselves to appeal to a mass audience but I always had more respect for guys like Zappa who just stuck to what they loved doing, I did get a bit bored watching that solo, probably sacrilege but I also used to get a bit bored when I went to see Rush as Neil Peart always insisted on doing a really long drum solo, loved his drumming but got a little bit bored maybe it was because I was young and impetuous.

Checked out the Monkees, Zappa interview that was funny:)

YouTube - Mike Nesmith and Frank Zappa

eddiez152    129

OK Kirk you got lucky :laughingg: :laughingg: :laughingg: :laughingg:

I was actually thinking of those going nowhere long ?????? riffs, licks ?????? no sure what to call them.

carol m    64

That interviewer had nerve! No wonder he sounded hesitant in his questioning. I translate his questions as 'Are your solos always the same?', 'Do you think you are over-rated?' and 'Do you agree that at the start of last night's show you were crap?'

So the next questions are, did Frank choose to ignore the implications, or did he not realise? Or am I on another planet (in this instance only ;) ? His answers were interesting anyway.

Kirk Lorange    128
That interviewer had nerve! No wonder he sounded hesitant in his questioning. I translate his questions as 'Are your solos always the same?', 'Do you think you are over-rated?' and 'Do you agree that at the start of last night's show you were crap?'

So the next questions are, did Frank choose to ignore the implications, or did he not realise? Or am I on another planet (in this instance only ;) ? His answers were interesting anyway.

I was intrigued too, carol. I was waiting for Frank to dismiss the interviewer altogether and walk out but he didn't.

RockaBilly    0

I remember a clip of Frank doing a solo or was it an instrumental where he had a toy police car that he turned on the sirens?

Anyone remember that clip? What I heard was phenominal.

zappa    0

he was an astoundingly remarkable musician in many ways . i think people on this forum are not listening to the interview properly . the interviewer was not damning zappa at all - he was aking fairly decent questions for someone who knows nothing of music beyond listening to it as a consumer and zappa answered the questions to a level that revealed much about his thoughts on playing guitar to a live audience .

thanks for that post !!! :)