Lcjones

Building a Song... from the pro's

Lcjones    8

My friend's,

I want to share with you about 10 minutes in the life of one of the greatest song's ever recorded. Of course, when you hear the first chord you will know what it is.

The folks who had the tenacity to write this song are world famous. The folks who wrote this song, regardless what you've read in the tabloids, had one purpose in life. And that's to make music the world would never forget. You are about to hear a few minutes in the making of a song that rocked the world. These 10 minutes, actually 9 minutes and 54 seconds, are an absolute study in the perfection of songwriting and melody making.

This is an actual recording inside the ***** **** Studios dated January 23, 1969.

This *is*, my friends, without a doubt, how it is done.

Practice. Persistence. Perseverance.

NOTE::: This is a flac file. You will need a FLAC player. Winamp has a FLAC plugin. Or VLC, my choice of players, will suit.

It is 24Mb. And worth every penny of it....

No One. Absolutely no one. Does it like this!

LC

almaink    1

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "the greatest song ever recorded" but it is very interesting. I'd say even tho a large amount of great songs where the result of collaborations, many were also done by one guy or gal. BTW Flac files R cool. The open source Program Cog will play them.

Get it here

Cog - News

Lcjones    8

and for those who require an mp3 format, here it is....

--------------

Many a great song has been and continues to be written

by solo artists. At the same time, these great songs become great

not only because of the artists craftsmanship but also

because they have great producers and engineers to guide them.

In essence, a minimum of collaboration is in every song.

LC

D-Dawn    0

A most excellent find! Thanks for the MP3 link! One of my all time favorite songs...ah the rooftop!!

How cool to hear the process!!! Thanks Les!!

carol m    64

Great find Les. I like how Ringo just keeps plugging away. Do you know who took the songwriting credit for this one? Paul is the main man in this recording and probably wrote it, but maybe they shared the credit?

starsailor    20
That's interesting Chris, especially the background to the lyrics and the people they refer to.

Hi Carol

It was a bit of a surprise to find out more about the thought process behind the lyrics, there was a lot of friction in the band at the time, it would appear that had some influence on the lyrics. Didn't know that Phil Spector was drafted in to add his wall of sound either, there is another take on the album called Let It Be - Naked which is a stripped down version of the album apparently that was what Paul wanted at the time a Beatles back to basics sort of thing. Pretty cool song to get out of a jam session there are 14 different takes does emphasize the time and work involved in getting a song right, it was ashame that the whole process of making this Album brought all the anger to a head and ultimately destroyed the band so they must have always viewed it with mixed feelings, still a great Album though :guitardude:

Cheers

Chris

One of the most influential songs in my musical journey. I'd always had it in my mind that 'Get Back' was the only Beatles song to credit a non-Beatle, i.e. Billy Preston. The page on Wikipedia states that the single, when first released was credited to 'The Beatles with Billy Preston' although this seems to refer to performer's credit rather than writer's. Wouldn't have been the same without him.

Ian:wheelchai