ariemich

How to convert wav to mp3 format for free?

I can record myself with an Olympus digital sound recorder, which produces files in the wav format. This is not however a permitted attachment in this forum, so I have to convert it to mp3. There are kinds of commercial software in the market which offer a lot of file conversion options I don't need, so I don't want to purchase them. I tried some freeware downloads, but the were all with bugs. Can someone give an advice?

Hi Ariemich, If you don't want to purchase a converter another option would be to get the free download of Audacity or Reaper put your WAV. files on there and convert them to MP3s you need a LAME encoder but they have them and instructions for installation, so this may be an option for you:winkthumb:

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

REAPER | Download

Cheers

Chris

Hi Ariemich, If you don't want to purchase a converter another option would be to get the free download of Audacity or Reaper put your WAV. files on there and convert them to MP3s you need a LAME encoder but they have them and instructions for installation, so this may be an option for you:winkthumb:

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

REAPER | Download

Cheers

Chris

I have installed Reaper with LAME encoder, opened Reaper, inserted my wav input file with the Insert menu, activated the Render command in the File menu, set the render format to MP3, pressed the Render button, but the resulting mp3 file was of zero size. Can you indicate what was wrong?

I have installed Reaper with LAME encoder, opened Reaper, inserted my wav input file with the Insert menu, activated the Render command in the File menu, set the render format to MP3, pressed the Render button, but the resulting mp3 file was of zero size. Can you indicate what was wrong?

Hi ariemich, I'm not too sure but it sounds like the Lame encoder isn't working properly, did you put the L.A.M.E. dll in the Reaper folder it may not be activated, did the track play alright on Reaper? was the problem just with the conversion, I'm afraid I can't think what else it could be, I had a similar problem when I first used Reaper and it was because my LAME wasn't in the Reaper folder. Other members should have the answer if it's not that or you could go with switch which si16 suggested that works ok.

I just finished a project where I had to use Audacity to transform wave files. It worked great. Open the wave file, edit the file if needed, and "export to mp3." It worked every time. I also had to download the lame converter (?), but it presented no problem at all. It was all compatible with my PIII ibm thinkpad running xp.

Good luck.

Surprisingly, the MP3 file I have obtained by conversion is almost twice as big as the original WAV one. So what's the point? Wouldn't it be better to add WAV to valid extensions for attachments?

well there you go, i just put in the free version of switch yesterday as i needed to convert some files to mp3 for my itunes. is really easy to use and the files turned out great.

I use Alto MP3 converter (it's free). I used to use Audacity but found it was adding a hollow ringing background, could just be my old beat-up ear passages.