mantablueraider

usb recording interface

hi everybody, i have been pondering over a decent way to record my acoustic and electric using my pc. my soundcard is just not up to par for the job and i'm trying to pick out a decent external card via usb 2.0 .... not looking for anything high end right now, just one that works and suits my needs right now.

this is what i have:

crate blue voodoo 150 h tubed head

crate 4 speaker cab

shure sm58 mic, removing some wind foam should get me close to the 57...

epi les paul standard

ibanez artwood acoustic

my pc

1.81 ghz amd sempron 3100+

896 mb ram

75.15 gb free space

software:

kristal "which i will probably change"

would like to have a amped line in input, in case my ears can't take that screaming head. "but boy it sounds good"

also would like headphone out so i can monitor the sound in real time. phantom power is a must also "for the mic."

have any of you guys used a usb interface in this neighborhood and was happy with it? any suggestions would be great!

My Presonus Firebox is a firewire interface - but if I were looking at a USB interface right now, I'd give very serious consideration to the Line 6 Toneports. The newer versions come with "Pod Farm", which should give you all the amp/effect models you would want if recording direct-in....or you could skip Pod Farm and just mic up your amp using a mic plugged into the interface.

+1 to Stratrat's comments on Toneport. Line6 aren't my favourite company in the world, but their interfaces, and Gearbox are great.

Kristal is a program I never got on with. Try Audacity or Reaper. There's plenty of info on both here on the forums.

Good luck, let's hear something soon!:smilinguitar:

Ian

thanks stratrat, i've been straining over so many to choose from and i read bad things about all from user reviews. most are probably drivers or hardware setups but who's to know? this is the best place to ask! and ian, reaper and audacity are the two i'm interested in. i'm really not a crazy effects kinda guy, but a little flange and wah every now and then is good! i know tekker loves reaper, and by reading his ordeal with his soundcard in this section "yes i read it all!" this dude knows what he's doing.. i think reaper is a good start! just wanted to say, what a great place to learn this is! i'm really glad i'm here....:yes:

Audacity runs like treacle compared to Reaper, try normalizing a song in both to see what I mean.... Reaper is so good - I actually paid to register!

btw,I use a Zoom H2 for a single input USB interface (and a Tascam fw1804 up to 8 simultaneous and MIDI)

Audacity runs like treacle compared to Reaper, try normalizing a song in both to see what I mean.... Reaper is so good - I actually paid to register!

btw,I use a Zoom H2 for a single input USB interface (and a Tascam fw1804 up to 8 simultaneous and MIDI)

thanks oldG, zoom is one i haven't heard of. i'll check it out...the tascam also, i've been reading up on those too. reaper is my next learning curve!

Now I am not in any way an expert on this PC/recording stuff (2 on a scale of 10). But I couldn't get anything to sound good with my PC, so I went way off to the extreme. I got a Tascam DP-02 recording studio hardware. It is really a good machine. There are a few minor nits on some of the peripheral processes, but the sound, effects, multitracking, and mixing capabilities are great. And I am not much of a mixologist, so my limited actions with that still sound pretty good.

This was $600 at Guitar Center a year ago.

If you might want to get away from the PC except for transferring to the internet, you can hear how it sounds at: JohnnyDee46 | Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Congrats on your new toy. I have an old ebay Tascam with Midi and Phantom Power and upgraded to a MAudio Mobile Pre USB with Phantom Power but no Midi which is fine. It was one of the cheaper options and has nothing but the headphones out, preamps on 2 mic in, 2 line in plus the outs and I think some stereo ins and outs. It's just an onboard soundcard bipass and does the job well.

It works on PC and Mac and came with a couple of Lite recording app's which I haven't used - I use Audacity or Reaper for the PC, or GarageBand on my old Mac. It's good for what it does.

Congrats on your new toy. I have an old ebay Tascam with Midi and Phantom Power and upgraded to a MAudio Mobile Pre USB with Phantom Power but no Midi which is fine. It was one of the cheaper options and has nothing but the headphones out, preamps on 2 mic in, 2 line in plus the outs and I think some stereo ins and outs. It's just an onboard soundcard bipass and does the job well.

It works on PC and Mac and came with a couple of Lite recording app's which I haven't used - I use Audacity or Reaper for the PC, or GarageBand on my old Mac. It's good for what it does.

thanks, a new toy it is! wifes not too thrilled bout though, lol... my excuse is i'm not one to stare at the tube so i'm constantly doing something. lifes too short to spend a quarter of it watching commercials!:mad: