carol m

Help with Plugins & VSTs on a Mac please

I have downloaded and installed a couple of software plugins/vsts on my iBook (not sure what the difference is) and I put them in Library>Audio>Plugins/VST as instructed in their Readme folder - then click on them to open and it says "Choose an application to open this file". I would like to put them into GarageBand and I can get the GB app black (not greyed out) and then........I'm too chicken to click on 'open' in case it wrecks GB and I don't have an iLife disc to re-install GB.

My questions:

• will it work?
  • will it wreck anything?
  • should I get a different DAW to use them for recording?
  • am I being gutless?

The apps in question are Bass Thing and Cheezemachine.

The dmg file also contains an AU folder and a Presets folder - what should/can I do with these?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

When you start a track, record some thing there. Double click on the track and that should bring out the details in the track, or Track Info

1. Click on details

There you should see gate, compressor, and 4 bars with none in them.

There you click on the up and down arrow and look for (Audio Units)

There you look for you plugin's

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys! I knew someone would know. I never understood where any plugins would show up in GB, and probably never would have found them even if they had gone in ok, so thanks for the info Eddie.

Thanks almaink, I do have Audacity on the Mac but couldn't get the lame dll to work when I first installed it, so I haven't used it much recently. I use it a lot for recording with a PC and it's true - it's free, simple, and a really useful tool to use. Thanks for that vst link, I'll use it on the PC, and maybe have another go at sorting out the lame thing on the Mac.

:)

I did see what was there, and it was a toy shop of goodies I didn't know about.

My downloaded AU files weren't there of course because I don't know where to put the AU folder which I put in the Library>Audio>Plugins/VST folder as the readme instructed - how do I get it into the GarageBand app?

I'll try to open it in GB and see if that works but isn't there a way of getting them permanently into the AU files in 'Details'?

By the way, when I was experimenting with a guitar and a vocal track, plus one of the AU effects my iBook groaned and refused to co-operate due to overload, even with the upgraded 1.25GB Ram.:brickwall:

I'll go off line next time so there is less CPU useage to see if that helps.

Well that didn't work. I copied the AU into 'plugin component' folder like the readme said. No sign of it in GB. I opened the AU in the Audio plugin folder and chose GB as the opening app - the computer blinked, but still no sign of it in GB itself. I'll do something else and wait for more clues from my friends and helpers.......:winkthumb:

Carol,

Should look like this.

1st Picture shows me going to the detail of the track.

2nd picture shows my new plugin's

3rd picture shows where they are found in the hard drive. Here I added mda.component and SynfulOrch component to what I already have.

Hope this helps.

8147.attach

8148.attach

8149.attach

Pics 1 and 3 are fine, I have those ok, but I don't see either mda.component or SynfulOrch in the 2nd picture of your AU Effects menu. And that is the problem I'm having with CheezeMachine - I have it in the Components folder, but it hasn't appeared in the GB AU Effects menu within GB. Do you know why this is, how can I fix it, or if the added AU effect isn't in that menu, how can you use it?

Maybe that software is not useful, but I don't know until I can try it out. It is free by the way, so you might find it useful yourself. :)

Carol,

Your right, I see some new things added but not the ones you describe. After further investigation, It shows that there are no extensions and later I was sent to another site for authorization of a 15 day trail period. Phewy! Back to the drawing board.

?No extensions? Not sure what you mean but as I'm having the same problem with Cheeze Machine I might explore their website for more clues.

Thanks for your time and effort in trying to educate me - it's appreciated. :yes:

Carol,

Contra-re, we are both learning.

Its called InterLok Extensions Installer.

Of course it does not do much unless you want to buy the plugin.

PACE Anti-Piracy -- Download -- Drivers

For using VST we need to buy and use a wrapper.

FXpansion VST to AU Plug-In Wrapper (Macintosh) from zZounds.com!

Probably available from other sources.