Amp question.

19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jovan

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 01-March 09

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:51 AM

Hi, I just wanted to ask something. I bought my first electric guitar, and amp, 1 month ago. I thought everything is okay but, my friend noticed on my amp that option "Distortion" doesn't work. I mean it works it changes the sound but only for a bit.. I don't get that cool sound.. (Dunno how to describe it, sorry.. tho u probably know .. :D )
So is it broken or I need to do something ? .. I have Roland Cube 20X Guitar Combo Amplifier. I hope you'll help me.
PS. And i just saw on forums that buzz sound when u hit string is normal if u didn't tune 'em right. What a relief. :laughingg:

#2 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:19 AM

with a cube 20, you should be getting some fat distortion. Sounds like it is in need of repair.

#3 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:51 AM

+1 to Allthumbs. There is nothing subtle about the distortion settings on a 20X. I have one, and a few of the amp models are too much for me to use very often.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
..Nietzsche

#4 OFFLINE   Stratrat

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,924 posts
  • Joined 24-August 06

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:52 AM

+1 to both the above - assuming you're using one of the distorted amp models and not one of the "clean" settings, your amp isn't working properly. The Roland Cube series have some very thick distortion, especially on the R-Fier setting. If you turn it to that channel and max out the "gain" knob, you should have more than enough distortion for anything.
Mac

"I wish I could play that fast - then I would have the option of not doing that."

#5 OFFLINE   Jovan

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 01-March 09

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:18 PM

Stratrat said:

+1 to both the above - assuming you're using one of the distorted amp models and not one of the "clean" settings, your amp isn't working properly. The Roland Cube series have some very thick distortion, especially on the R-Fier setting. If you turn it to that channel and max out the "gain" knob, you should have more than enough distortion for anything.
Problem is that when I turn on Distortion only volume is higher, but there's no new sound effect.

#6 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

See if it is still under warranty and take it back to the store.

#7 OFFLINE   Jovan

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 01-March 09

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:15 AM

allthumbs said:

See if it is still under warranty and take it back to the store.
Ye, it is :)

#8 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:17 PM

Cool. Take it back, swap it for a new one. :)

#9 OFFLINE   Jovan

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 01-March 09

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

Hi again, lets make this thread active again (sadly).
My amp would work for some time, then it wouldn't.
I went twice to store where i bought that amp, and it worked. When I came home it didn't work. I don't know what to do, they can't send my amp to service cause they don't know how to describe the error.
What should I do? :(

#10 OFFLINE   Dewy

• Active Members
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 05-April 07

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

Is the voltage the same at the store and at home?

I am not familiar with that model amp, but check for loose connections with it disconnected from the power supply. Check fuses as well as the tips of the plug.

Amps with intermittent issues are very difficult to work with.
Remember, wherever you go... there you are.

#11 OFFLINE   Jovan

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 01-March 09

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:50 PM

Hi, and thanks for answering so fast.
Well the amp is working, but distortion and other effects don't...
Voltage can have effect on that ? o.O

#12 OFFLINE   Dewy

• Active Members
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 05-April 07

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:44 PM

I have seen amps that work "partially" when voltage is not correct. That is one take on the problem you describe... "distortion" is a sound you get when you overdrive the input signal...

If your amp was "barely" working, overdriving the signal would just increase the volume, not distort.

#13 OFFLINE   Jovan

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 01-March 09

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:08 PM

Yeah you're right! Only the volume is higher, thank you very much! :)
So now... How to fix that ''voltage problem thingy'' ? :S

#14 OFFLINE   Dewy

• Active Members
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 05-April 07

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

I am only suspecting that... I have no way of telling for certain from here.

Using a multi tester you can test the source of your power to confirm you are supplying the correct voltage.

Examining the power supply wiring for defects and testing all functions of the amp to verify which functions are not working properly.

Compare your "home" voltage to that at the "shop" where it works fine.

Try the amp at other locations, see if you can determine the way to repeat the malfunction to demonstrate it to the store.

I am only guessing here friend, I do not feel confident I can diagnose your problem, just trying to help.

A friend kept telling me his amp would not work at home, was a couple of months until I found out he had a cheap generator at home he was running for power. When he turned it up it didn't get louder... was very odd.

#15 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:41 PM

Are you taking your guitar with you to the store? Always a good idea to have a tech check the whole setup.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#16 OFFLINE   pHGTRSpider

• Active Members
  • 330 posts
  • Joined 08-October 08

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:27 AM

Yes, I agree with Karcey, could be your guitar pickups are poorly set up (i.e. very low or far away from the strings) or the pickups themselves are very light duty or some other problem with the guitar. Assuming the gain is turned up on your cube ( I have two of them) there should be plenty of crunch & sustain.
Don't dream it, be it.
from the Rocky Horror Picture Show

#17 OFFLINE   Jovan

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 01-March 09

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:33 AM

Thank you very much Dewy! :)
Karcey, went to the store twice with guitar and amp, and it worked there. :/

#18 OFFLINE   Jovan

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 01-March 09

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:02 AM

pHGTRSpider, and maybe that :P
thanks ^^

#19 OFFLINE   mantablueraider

• Active Members
  • 495 posts
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:38 AM

karcey said:

Are you taking your guitar with you to the store? Always a good idea to have a tech check the whole setup.
take your chord you use to connect the guitar to the amp also... had some weird stuff happen with those before. had one that the volume would only go halfway up and no distortion until i shook the chord and got blown off my chair!
KENNETH

#20 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:50 PM

This is getting interesting. There has to be one variable which you haven't controlled.
If the exact combination of equipment works at the store but not at home, then the problem is at home, not with the equipment. Does it work at a friend's house? Does it work in a different room at home, like using a different power point?
Do you have a variety of cables to use? And have you switched the cables end for end?
Your friend might have some gear that you could try piece by piece to see if any combination of guitar and cable will work with that amp at your house.
Keep trying ... I'd like to hear the solution to this one.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users