CirrusPilot

Newbie Overwhelmed!

I don't know about your humming, but congrats on getting your dream guitar. Welcome to the forum and we're all looking forward to hearing how you progress - highs and lows - it's all part of the journey.:)

Thanks for the welcome. I played for probably another hour tonight. I found the very beginner lessons that Kirk Lorange posted. The ones that start out strumming 4 chords, G, C, D, and Am.

I'm not able to switch betwen chords yet, but I'm excited that I have no difficulty playing C, D, and Am with all of the notes rings clearly. No muted strings. It takes me a second or so to remember how to finger the chord, but I'm sure that will come. Now the G chord is another question. I just can't seem to get that pinky working and stretched to those low notes.

Thanks for the welcome. I played for probably another hour tonight. I found the very beginner lessons that Kirk Lorange posted. The ones that start out strumming 4 chords, G, C, D, and Am.

I'm not able to switch between chords yet, but I'm excited that I have no difficulty playing C, D, and Am with all of the notes rings clearly. No muted strings. It takes me a second or so to remember how to finger the chord, but I'm sure that will come. Now the G chord is another question. I just can't seem to get that pinky working and stretched to those low notes.

That's pretty good - the C chord is not that easy at the start, and the G chord needs some pinky control but you'll see, suddenly it will happen and that's a real buzz. Well done!

Hang on, I just noticed you say "I just can't seem to get that pinky working and stretched to those low notes". There are a couple of ways to play a G chord but I can't think of one that requires the pinky to play the bass note. Maybe that's a typo, but the pinky plays the 3rd fret top e string - the highest pitched string.

Maybe you meant the C chord where you can use the pinky to play the low G (3rd fret low E string) but you can play that chord without the pinky and either don't strum the lowest string, or strum the E with the open 6th string. Many people do that.

I went to that lesson to check which way Kirk plays it and the lesson wasn't playing for me. Clancy is off-line at the moment but I sent her a message and I'm sure she'll fix it pronto......she always does! :winkthumb:

Edit: My mistake, that lesson is in the old format where you click on the 'play' arrow to start it.

I apologize, when I saw I can't get my pinky to the low notes on the G chord, I meant the lowest string on the neck, E. I'm still working to get the terminology correct. Low and high refer to pitch instead of string placement on the guitar. I'll get it right one of these days.

Anyway, I went on YouTube for some help with the G and found several people that teach it with a different fingering. Same frets and strings as normal, just with different fingers. Kirk Lorange teaches fingers 2,3, and 4 while some guys on YouTube show it as 1,2, and three. I tried the alternate fingering and it is considerably easier for me. Now I can play all 4 of the chords without muted notes! Now I just keep to practice those chords for a few weeks and try to get my hand muscles stretched enough for it to be relatively comfortable.

I'm actually really excited about this! :yeahhh: I am really beginning to believe that my problems in the past have been with incorrect choice and setup of the guitar. I'm even able to keep my thumb behind the neck.

I kind of favor a set of Fender 10's for the electric ( a 99 Fender Strat in butterscotch with a clear maple neck ) tho they are a bit light for an inexperienced player so you might go up a size. Good luck and keep playing. Oh yeah, and for a practice amp you can grab anything but get one with a headphone jack so you don't drive the neighbors crazy.

Thanks for welcome everyone. I think I'm going to break down and get a Telecaster this weekend. I really like the looks of the butterscotch one.

What is a decent practice amp?

I want to swap out strings when I get it, but I don't know which ones will be the most comfortable starting out. Everyone I've talked to says that I should go with extra-light strings first, then move up if I need to. What is everyone's thoughts on that and suggestions for strings?

You should start off with 9's. And that's probably what will be on it when you buy the Tele. Tell the shop that you want 9's on it. Maybe they will install a new set.

A good starter amp is the Vypyr 15 for $100.

Try lots of guitars before you buy anything. You'll find that two different Telecasters feel completely different from one another neck wise and different woods are going to sound different as well.

Anyone have any idea why my amp hums when nothing is being played? It stops humming if I touch something metal on the guitar, strings, bridge, tuners, any metal and it stops. What causes this and is there something I can do to fix it?

Congrats on your new guitar and amp - that should be a great combo to get you started with! :yes:

As far as the buzzing sound - that's usually an issue with the electronics of the guitar not being properly grounded to the bridge plate. Take it back to the shop and show them what it's doing - if they have a half-decent luthier/tech, he should be able to fix it pretty easily.

I had the same problem with my Tele. There was a ground wire soldered to the controls, but the end that contacts the bridge is loose and wasn't touching the bridge. It apparently was supposed to have a pressure contact against the bridge but wasn't making contact. I was taking it apart at the time so it was easy for me to move the wire. But since yours is new the shop should handle it.

If they give you any excuses, tell them that you know that when the humming stops by touching the metal parts that it's a bad ground wire connection.

Hey -- I've been playing about 6 years - ME? , i just learned the basics and tried to teach myself songs using tab. Anyways -- My Taylor 314CE is still looking and sounding sweet as a baby! ROCK ON! Hey if you get

Take Care

The life span of acoustic guitar strings can be from several hours to several days depending on how you play. What I mean is that the "brilliance" of new acoustic strings wears off in a relatively short span of time because of dirt, grime, sweat, etc. However, they can be played for as long as they don't break.

Electric guitar strings last much longer. I use Pyramid Golds on one of my guitars and they last well over a year without "needing" to be changed.

LC

Hi there,i would like to echo CirrusPilot's words in his first post and me being nearly 58 and wanting to learn the guitar i too ventured into a couple of music shops not knowing what i was looking for and i too found them very intimadating.

I asked about starter packages in the first shop and they said you get what you pay for,which is true i suppose.So started looking at the rows and rows of guitars and amps :helpsmili and i must say that they wasn't very helpful at all and i left the shop even more confused.

In the second shop after looking around for about 20 minutes (and not been bothered by the staff) i had to ask one of the guys if he could help me.I explained that i wanted to learn the guitar and could he suggest anything and he showed a white Fender 50's strat which was £299 and so i asked him about the other Fenders hung up,a Fender Bullet( i think that was the name) at £179 and a Fender Affinity at £119.So i said to him why did you show me the one of the dearest(There was other Fenders at a higher price) and his reply was that as soon as i bought the £119 i would be wanting the £299 one.Yeah well thats ok if you take to learning to play seriously but if you loose interest thats £299 and what ever your amp costs and all the other equipment stuck in your bedroom.I got the kinder of feeling he was only interested in sell me high priced equipment.

But i would like to walk before i can run.

So the search goes on,i have a budget of about £300 for everthing.

Has anyone tried out a Fender Affinity and if so would it be suitable for a beginner,what about an amp any recomendations.

Also i'm very happy i found this very imformative site,i'm still trying to read all the threads.

Sorry for rabbiting on.

Hi there,i would like to echo CirrusPilot's words in his first post and me being nearly 58 and wanting to learn the guitar i too ventured into a couple of music shops not knowing what i was looking for and i too found them very intimadating.

I asked about starter packages in the first shop and they said you get what you pay for,which is true i suppose.So started looking at the rows and rows of guitars and amps :helpsmili and i must say that they wasn't very helpful at all and i left the shop even more confused.

In the second shop after looking around for about 20 minutes (and not been bothered by the staff) i had to ask one of the guys if he could help me.I explained that i wanted to learn the guitar and could he suggest anything and he showed a white Fender 50's strat which was £299 and so i asked him about the other Fenders hung up,a Fender Bullet( i think that was the name) at £179 and a Fender Affinity at £119.So i said to him why did you show me the one of the dearest(There was other Fenders at a higher price) and his reply was that as soon as i bought the £119 i would be wanting the £299 one.Yeah well thats ok if you take to learning to play seriously but if you loose interest thats £299 and what ever your amp costs and all the other equipment stuck in your bedroom.I got the kinder of feeling he was only interested in sell me high priced equipment.

But i would like to walk before i can run.

So the search goes on,i have a budget of about £300 for everthing.

Has anyone tried out a Fender Affinity and if so would it be suitable for a beginner,what about an amp any recomendations.

Also i'm very happy i found this very imformative site,i'm still trying to read all the threads.

Sorry for rabbiting on.

Hi Marshall P Knutt, Welcome to the forum and to guitar playing, the Fender Squier Affinity is classified as a beginners guitar and one of the better ones, I can see where the Sellers coming from, once you've been playing for a while you probably will want to upgrade but I think your approach makes more sense if you're not too sure if you'll be able to stick with it, it is good to have a quality guitar to start with but it is all down to budget, I think the best approach to buying your first guitar is to either take a friend along who plays or get the guy in the store to play a couple for you as they want a sale they won't mind a short demo, and it gives you the opportunity to hear how the guitar sounds, also pick up the guitar and mess around with it see how it feels, and if you can press the strings down ok etc., it's important that you are comfortable with your first guitar, very important in my opinion a guitar you feel uncomfortable with really sucks when you're starting out.

Your budget is enough to get a good set up to start out with, I'd steer clear of the packages as the Amps aren't that good, a good amp could be the Roland Cube or Micro Cube, they're a reasonable price and reliable.

Here are some reviews on the Squier Affinity.

Affinity Strat Review | Squier | Electric Guitars | Reviews @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

And a link to a Roland Cube, they're a pretty good price at the moment.

Roland Cube-15X Guitar Amplifier | Buy Online For Just £79.00 | Cheap Prices Backed By Great Online Service and Delivery | Musicstreet.co.uk

And some more Micro Cubes.

Search Results | Musicstreet.co.uk

Another thing you should get is a good tuner, Korg make some good ones that are user friendly.

Korg - Products

This is just my opinion but it's also worth getting a set up done on your guitar too, the shops usually offer this, it's worth getting a new set of strings put on and having it checked over, that way when you go home you've less chance of having any problems.

Hope this helps a bit, there are a few Members who have Affinitys here and Members that know a lot more about Amps than I do so you should get more replies, people are very helpful here.

Here's one more link that will be useful for you.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/buying-guitar/

All The Best

Chris

My first guitar was the Squier Telecast Affinity Series. It's a pretty good little guitar. But when I plug it into my amp, I get a hum from the amp. If I touch some metal part on the guitar, the humming stops. I've been told that there might be a problem with the ground on my guitar. I've also heard that it could be a problem with my amp, a cheapy Fender Frontman 15G. I don't have access to another amp to see if that is the problem. That's about the only thing negative I have to say about mine. The selector switch on the Squier Teles are really cheap feeling and I don't care for that. The guitar has a good sound and will hold a tune for about a month pretty easily.

Definitely ask a friend that knows how to play to go with you when you pick out a guitar. Make it someone you trust. Tell them what style of music you want to play and the kind of sound you're looking for. Have them play a few different guitars so you can hear the sounds that they produce. If you don't have any friends that play, ask the people at the guitar shop. But my experience is that they let their personal preference be what they recommend no matter what you tell them you're looking for. Ask one person at the guitar shop and get their idea, then ask someone else at the guitar shop. When picking out a guitar, you can never have too much information. You've just got to make the best decision possible at the time. You'll probably buy another guitar or two in the future after you get a little better anyway.

CirrusPilot, I had almost exactly the same problem with my Std Tele. The ground wire under the bridge wasn't making good contact. The hum would only stop if I touched the bridge or strings. If yours stops when you touch the controls as well then your bad ground is at a different spot than the bridge.

BTW, I also have an Affinity Tele and really like it. I've upgraded it with a Wilkinson 3 saddle bridge and GFS Lil Puncher (SC sized) HB pups.

The humming on my Tele stops whenever I touch ANYTHING metal on the guitar. I can touch the tuners, the strings, the frets, the volume knob, the tone knob, or even the metal part of the selector. Any of those places will stop the humming. That's why someone else told me it might be my amp or even my chord, but I don't have any way of checking that with another amp.

I'd really like to sell my Tele and buy a semi-hollow. That might solve the problem too!

Well i'm not overwhelmed anymore after listening to various people and reading a lot on this fabulous site about what guitar or package to get.

Iv'e gone and done it at the age of nearly 58 and got a black Squier Affinity Strat package from my local music shop on Saturday :yes:

and actually waited till Sunday to get it out of the box :eek:

Well after experimenting about with it yesterday afternoon and today my fingers are red raw.And i must admit that i well and truly enjoyed myself.

Next week i'm starting lessons(so as not to get any bad habits :winkthumb:;)

Hope to get lots more tips from the forum.

Oh and my wife thinks i'm mad :yeahhh:

:yeahhh: Excellent news Marshall - good name that for a guitarist - and that's what you are now!

BTW We're all mad here - it's the only way to be.

My experience with Guitar Stores is the same.. even after playing for over two years.. I go to the nearest Guitar Center and I am intimidated! Especially when some snot-nosed 10 year old kid is sitting next to me wailing on the guitar like he is Kirk Hammette.. I lose all ability to play!!! haha! Especially at 50 years old.. looking at this 10 or 14 year old.. so I can relate for sure as we probably all can...

As far as starter packages.. I am a big fan of the Fender Squier.. I think it is a pretty good way to go.. especially until you learn what works for you and what doesn't.. no point in wasting a lot of money on a guitar until you really understand what you need or like in a guitar.. and by the way.. you will probably never be completely satisfied with your guitar or amp.. you always want something better or different... that's just the way it is!

Good luck!

The humming on my Tele stops whenever I touch ANYTHING metal on the guitar. I can touch the tuners, the strings, the frets, the volume knob, the tone knob, or even the metal part of the selector. Any of those places will stop the humming.

Sounds like a faulty bridge ground to me.