long fingernails

15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tomislavzgb

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 17-March 09

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

anyone out there can explain why do guitar players grow their fingernails long, what's the advantage of that, and should i as a beginner do the same thing?
thx for any info.

#2 OFFLINE   joshimax

• Active Members
  • 306 posts
  • Joined 21-October 08

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

Welcome to the forum tomislav.

Some guitarist will have long fingernails on the hand they use for picking and strumming. depending on what sort of stuff you want to play it can be good. I tend to keep mine just slightly longer than most guys.
Maton M225 Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop Orange Crush

www.mylifewithguitar.blogspot.com

#3 OFFLINE   knight46

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,822 posts
  • Joined 21-February 07

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:48 AM

Hello tomislav, welcome.

#4 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

As a beginner, nail length is not crucial at this point. There are many things that have a higher place on the list.
Finger style players tend to have long nails on their picking hands to emulate the volume and crispnes of tone that a pick provides while retaining the flexability of having 4 fingers and a thumb to pick with.

#5 OFFLINE   lorispencer

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,155 posts
  • Joined 29-August 06

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:58 AM

not important at the beginning unless starting with a finger or classical style. i only play with my fingers so i keep my nails long and rounded on the right hand and very short and flat on the left hand. gets lots of questions from people.
There is only one better thing than music - live music.

#6 ONLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,250 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:49 PM

lorispencer said:

gets lots of questions from people.

No one ever asks me...:crying2:
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#7 OFFLINE   lorispencer

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,155 posts
  • Joined 29-August 06

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

carol m said:

No one ever asks me...:crying2:

People assume that i only bite the nails on one hand.
There is only one better thing than music - live music.

#8 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

Welcome to the forum !
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#9 OFFLINE   redwolf813

• Active Members
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 13-April 09

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:51 AM

I know a guy that's a knockout player, in fact that's how he earns a living. He has his right hand nails done with acrylic at a nail salon so they don't break. The guy is an absolute killer hybrid picker ( flat pick between the thumb and forefinger and using the ring and middle to pick various single and double stops up high ) Hope this answers your question.

#10 OFFLINE   D-Dawn

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,995 posts
  • Joined 23-May 06

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:07 PM

I keep my left hand nails very short, but the ones on the right I grow to a medium length. If they are too long they break too easy. I did the acrylic thing once and couldn't wait to get them off! I reallllly disliked the sound. (and they ruined my natural nails and have taken months to get back into shape)
When I first started playing I had to cut the left hand down to nothing just to get notes to ring clear, but not so short now. I don't think I thought much about my right hand until I started finger picking. Now I know just how long I like them to get the sound I want :)
If everything has a point, well then I must have one, too.
♥Yamaha LL-6♥

#11 OFFLINE   Nutty

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Joined 09-August 06

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:15 PM

I wish I could keep my nails different lengths on each hand but I can't. It drives me absolutely insane if all my nails aren't cut to the same length. How weird is that?...never mind... :rolleyes:

Annette

#12 OFFLINE   D-Dawn

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,995 posts
  • Joined 23-May 06

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

LOL not weird! It bothered me for about 2 years!
♥Yamaha LL-6♥

#13 ONLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,250 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:42 AM

Nutty and Dawn, you need a dose of Musician's Pride! - You are a guitarist, you are a musician, you proudly wear the badge of the guitar player - long nails on one hand, short on the other, and calluses to boot.

Repeat after me:
Hah!! Yes folks, I play guitar, and I'm proud!! Eat my dust!! :yeahhh:
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#14 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,874 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:29 AM

I have my nails cut back down on the fretting hand and a bit longer on the other, never took much care of my nails until I started playing guitar, I wear gloves at work a lot of the time now too my hands are in a lot better shape than they used to be, if anyone has a go at my long nails I just scratch their eyes out:devil2:
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#15 OFFLINE   D-Dawn

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,995 posts
  • Joined 23-May 06

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

carol m said:

Nutty and Dawn, you need a dose of Musician's Pride! - You are a guitarist, you are a musician, you proudly wear the badge of the guitar player - long nails on one hand, short on the other, and calluses to boot.

Repeat after me:
Hah!! Yes folks, I play guitar, and I'm proud!! Eat my dust!! :yeahhh:
Haha! Yeah! I'm a muscian?? Well that is a matter of opinion, yet another thing I am trying!! My nails being different on each hand doesn't bother me at all anymore. In fact I can't stand them on the left hand! :)
♥Yamaha LL-6♥

#16 OFFLINE   blackcat

• Active Members
  • 120 posts
  • Joined 11-September 06

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

Tried to grow my nails many times, but find it impossible because of the job i do. I like to play fingerstyle and have now become happy with the softer tone i produce with just the pads of my fingers.
Wasn't to start with, but the more i played the more i got used to it i suppose, now i don't think i would grow them if i could, personal preference i guess:smilinguitar:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users