carol m

Squeaky Strings.

carol m    64

I like to record my acoustic with a mic for a more realistic sound, but I have a problem with the squeaks from the strings. I didn't notice it so much before, so do some types of strings squeak more than others? I'm using Martin Phosphor Bronze which I haven't used before.

I point the dynamic uni-directional mic pointing away from the strings and aimed at the body below the bridge because I read that was a good way to minimise it. But they are still loud, and also the guitar is so quiet in the recording that if I turn up the gain I get hiss.

If I point the mic towards the bridge, the volume improves a bit but the squeaks are louder too.

Now it is making me cut off notes that should be ringing on because I'm tending to lift my fingers clear of the strings too soon to cleanly move up and down - it ruins the flow. It's a piece with constant fret shifting, sometimes 5 or 7 fret shifts.

Any tips anyone?

jayprimm    0

I like the Elixir coated strings (polyweb/nanoweb) on my Acoustic (000 Martin). In comparison, the Martin strings that came with the Guitar were quite loud when sliding.

Stratrat    0

+1 on the Elixirs. My Taylor 110e came from the factory with them (first time I'd ever tried them), and they definitely do squeak less than uncoated strings. They're more expensive, but they also last a lot longer, too!

scotty_b    16

I have used Elixirs for some time on my Taylor and Maton, though have just tried GHS Laurence Juber strings, and think I might stick with them.

A slightly darker tone, but very responsive.

Some players seem to 'squeak' a lot; I think it is just another thing we need to be conscious of and work to eliminate it at the source - our hands!

OldG    3

You could try a sillicon string lubricant like Fast fret or fingerease - most guitar stores should keep some.

Should take the squeak away by helping your fingers glide - use very sparingly!

carol m    64
You could try a sillicon string lubricant like Fast fret or fingerease - most guitar stores should keep some.

Should take the squeak away by helping your fingers glide - use very sparingly!

Interesting idea OldG, Last night I switched to using my old nylon string guitar and that was a bit better......then I tried putting heavy duty hand cream on my fingers which didn't help much, so then I put it directly on the strings! I think it helped a bit.

Then I experimented a bit and found that the pressure of the fingers on the strings made the most difference, but interestingly I found that if I press harder, and 'slid' more, it helped. I wasn't expecting that.

karcey    42

G'day Carol,

My current teacher has an archtop guitar on which he's fitted flat-wound strings. They are so smooth it's creepy. Don't seem to squeak at all when he plays. They're probably prohibitively expensive too, but that's not a problem is it?

Anyway, just a thought.

carol m    64
G'day Carol,

They're probably prohibitively expensive too, but that's not a problem is it?

Ha ha, 'course not! I just uploaded a thread in the Playing the Guitar forum about vibrato which is done on the steel string with the Martin strings. It demos the squeaks as well, although I'm only using single notes in that demo so it's less noticeable than when I was trying to do big slides on 2 or 3 note chords.

I think I'll get some Elixirs during the week, I really never noticed it as such a problem with other strings I've used.

Thanks everyone for all your good suggestions. It's appreciated.:winkthumb:

clapton1    0

If you are going to get the Elixir's, get a Nanoweb coated set and a Polyweb coated set. Why??

One(I forget which one) of them(IMHO) is more slippier; and has less squeakiness.

Hope this helps,

clapton1

scotty_b    16

Flat wound strings are great for giving an old school jazz sound. I use them on my archtop, but wouldn't use them on anything else.

Dr Tomastik make a very nice set, if someone was going to look into them.

Elixirs come with two different coatings, nano and polyweb. Polyweb coating is thicker and the strings do not sound as bright or responsive when initially put on. Nanoweb strings have a sound far closer to 'new' string sound.

carol m    64

Thanks for the extra info Scotty - it's good to see you back again. :)

I need to go to the store anyway to replace my glass slide which was a casualty of earth hour - it turned into a lemming while I wasn't noticing.

scotty_b    16

Thanks Carol

Yes I have had a couple of glass and porcelain slides go the way of the lemming (even though the lemmings' actions are a Disney conspiracy!).

carol m    64

What a tease you are Scotty! And yes, I had to go and look it up. I found that it is, in part, a myth. They don't 'suicide' as such, but I know I've seen them going over the edge of a cliff in David Attenborough etc. In fact (Wikipedia) they sometimes find themselves at a cliff with no where else to go, as they say, and get pushed/encouraged to fall or leap into the abyss by the pressure of the lemmings behind them.

My slide on the other hand, definitely suicided. It just rolled away in the dark and then - curtains. It was probably sulking over my abusing it so badly in my practice session.

An interesting side fact from Wikipedia is that in the 1500's Lemmings were studied by the natural historian Ole Worm, who accepted that the lemmings could fall out of the sky but that they had been brought over by the wind rather than created by spontaneous generation.

That was interesting, wasn't it? :D