carol m

Licenses - what does it all mean?

I found what looks like a great little toy but I'm confused about what it's advantages might be for me, and that's because I don't really understand licenses. It's called an iLok ($40 US) and here is the link - https://www.ilok.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/iLokManager.woa/7/wa/QuickStart

It's for being able to carry a license for 'things' eg software programs I think, from one computer to another instead of being stuck with only being able to load and use them on one single computer. For example, using a home recording program and then taking the iLok to a friend's place and being able to use it on the friends computer as well, even though the friend doesn't have the program on his machine.

I don't think any software or hardware peripherals I have, like MAudio PreUSB, or a Digitech RP150 have licences that restrict my use of them in any way. But, I know my XP and Word have licences that limit my use of the program to one computer only. Would this device allow me to load my XP disc onto a separate new computer without buying a new copy?

I can see that their real value is with bought software programs like Mixcraft (which I haven't downloaded), even iLife or a MacOSX version maybe (don't know) but my main question is, could I use it for things like XP or Word (to load on to my new iMac which is still only a very wicked thought).

And....It says it's cross platform - does this mean it will allow use of one licensed program on both a PC and a Mac (eg XP) or just that you can use it for either sort, but not for free interchangeable use of the same program/licence swapping between both systems using the same single licence.

I did read their FAQ but it still wasn't clear to me.

Thanks in advance you clever people.

:)

Yes it's complicated all right. Did you tackle the link material, or was my post enough to give you the headache? Sorry if that was it. Believe it or not there are people who understand this sort of thing, and I'm sure a couple will saddle up and come to my rescue in time.

After looking at the link and reading some of the FAQ's I would say this:

It does seem to work between PC and Mac systems and seems to be totally transportable.

It looks like it works with all licenses but best with the ones listed as "Supporters".

It looks as though you only transport the license and not the program, so I would think that you could transport your license for XP but would also have to have the program loaded on the computer that does not contain the license.

iLok works great, but only for applications that support it. I have several plugins that use iLok and when I upgraded to a new computer I had no issues with the licenses. I just installed, or even copied over, the software, plugged in my iLok and everything was happy. And yes, you can move from machine to machine. The idea is you can run the software anywhere, one machine at a time. You still have to install the software on the other machines, but the iLok with enable it to run.

Thanks guys. I have the XP disc so I could probably put the disc into an Intel Mac, use an iLok and it's 'key' number and it should work. Is that it?

Keith: do you need one iLok per application, or does one iLok do several applications?

Thanks Keith - why doesn't everyone have one (or two)?

In case you didn't read the other thread my dodgy PC is being returned for testing in my house tonight and I intend to test it with Rubber Ducky High Definition - if that doesn't show up the glitch I'll agree with the supplier that there's really nothing wrong with it. Hope you don't mind! :D

He he! The dodgy computer arrived with the cousin (+brother as backup)....all seemed ok initially (it sometimes does that for 10mins or so - then I hit it with Rubber Duckie HD and Living in Fear..........@#$%!!! Bingo - managed to gum up the works alright! The computer + it's support team left within 5 mins. Success! Thanks Keith.