Lucretia

Getting amped up on Linux (Ubuntu Hardy)

Hi,

I've just bought my first guitar (Legend Tele) and I finally managed to get some sound coming through my line-in on my computer, but it's not very loud. I've installed Jack, rakarrack2, creox, qjackctl, but I just can't get it to amplify the line-in. I also tried some tuners and they only worked when the guitar was plugged into the mic. Problem is, the signal from the mix is really poor, this could be the volume I've got it set at on the mixer, but then I'd still need amplification.

Can anybody walk me through this stuff?

Thanks,

Luke.

Hi Luke

The problem is likely to be that the output from your guitar is not at "line level" As you have found ( by using the mic input - which goes through a preamp), the signal will need some boosting.

The problem with the mic input is that the preamp is most likely of very poor quality only being really designed to handle a cheapo computer headset mic.

Your best bet would probably be to invest in a small mixer this will have the required preamp and will make your whole set up more versatile and easy to use if you want to do any recording.

I use one of these:

Chemical Ltd | Buy Behringer - Behringer - XENYX 502 :: 5 Channel 2 Bus Analog Mixer - Mixing Desk at Chemical Ltd

HTH

Will

I think I may as well just buy an amp, it's going to be about the same price. I was hoping to avoid that at this early stage.

So, Roland Cube X15, Roland Micro Cube or Orange Crush Micro Cube? They're all, strangely, similar prices, I would've expected the micro's to be less.

Luke.

Ok, think I've decided on the Roland Cube 15X, it's small enough and has enough recommendations, just need to know where to buy from online.

Thanks,

Luke.

Can't help you with where to buy it in the UK, but the Cube 15X should definitely help your recording problem....it has a headphone/rec out jack on the back which you can plug into your computer, so you can use all the amp/fx models from the Cube when you record.

If you want to avoid the amp, you could always go with something like a Line 6 TonePort or Pod Studio (UX1 or UX2). That would provide the preamp you need for your computer - plus the Pod Studio comes with Pod Farm, which provides a number of amp models, effects, etc. You can use it for guitars, mics, bass, etc. - very versatile little device.

Oops, I missed one little detail in your original post - you're running Ubuntu Linux. Don't know if Line 6's Pod Farm software would be much good unless you run it through wine or some such that will allow you to run Windows programs.

In any case, the Cube 15X should act as a preamp to get the level of your guitar up to where you want it - and I'm sure Ubuntu supports at least some USB interfaces, if you choose to go that route instead.

Ok, think I've decided on the Roland Cube 15X, it's small enough and has enough recommendations, just need to know where to buy from online.

Thanks,

Luke.

Check these guys out Luke, as far as I know they're a Roland registered dealer so you'll be able to get a warranty just check with them though, the warranty covers you for 3 years so is worth having as it's free:winkthumb:

Roland Cube 15X | Dolphin Music

That should do the trick, Luke. I've never played a Pathfinder, but they seem to get a lot of love from people in comparos with the other small amps. I own one of its "big brothers" (the AD30VT) and have been very pleased with it. Have fun!

I take it that if I wanted to record myself (not yet, cos I'm a lot crap :D) I could connect a cable from the head-phone/line-out to the line-in on the poota?

Thanks,

Luke.

I take it that if I wanted to record myself (not yet, cos I'm a lot crap :D) I could connect a cable from the head-phone/line-out to the line-in on the poota?

Yep. Plug the line-out into your interface (or however you're getting into your computer) and you're good to go.

try a Jamvox - nifty bit of software comes with it allowing you to mask out a guitar from a mp3 allowing you to jam with the track. It is a USB device and makes use of asio drivers allowing you to input into guitar rig etc if you need more effects and amp sims that come with jamvox (unlikely)

Cheers