carol m

Dylan on music, songs, writing for his new album.

Lcjones    8

Thanks Carol for that link.

"Like if there’s an astrologer with a criminal record in one of my songs it’s not going to make anybody wonder if the human race is doomed. Images are taken at face value and it kind of freed me up."

I think that is the most important message Dylan could send. I've never tried to find any mystical, prophetic or subversive messages in Dylan's songs. Why? Because they aren't there. They never were.

Don't mean to go off topic Carol. ;) He is as he has always said, just a song writer and a musician. He writes songs because he loves to work with words. I am so glad to see him open up more and more as time goes by.

LC

starsailor    20

Nice one Carol, like LC said it's good to see him open up more think it always bothered him that people read too much into his songs and he seems more relaxed now people take them more at face value, I was listening to bringing it all back home yesterday great album never tire of listening to him and it's good that he's now willing to share his thoughts on his writing with us all:guitardude:

carol m    64

I think that is the most important message Dylan could send. I've never tried to find any mystical, prophetic or subversive messages in Dylan's songs. Why? Because they aren't there. They never were.

LC

Yes that's always annoyed the $%##$% out of me when these 'people' who haven't been able to 'go with the flow' of his words, images, characters and suggested meanings, but have to be so literal, and try and pin him down, and then are disappointed when he is not the 'Messiah' they thought he was - he never thought that about himself, and also hated how people kept trying to put him in a box.

"There ain't no boxes wide enough":guitardude: could that be a song??

Or maybe "I shall not be contained........"

For anyone who has seen The Life of Brian movie, there is scene where a bunch of 'disciples' chase Brian out into the desert clamouring for 'words of wisdom' from their mistaken 'Messiah' - Brian loses a sandal in his haste and the disciples seize on it, raising it high above their heads, proclaiming "A sign! A sign!" or similar. For me that has always been the situation Dylan has usually found himself in.

The other sort of idiots he had to deal with were the early 60, journo's who clearly thought he was psycho and/or that his lyrics were nonsense words put together randomly to fool the public. It was insulting, and Dylan could often not hide his outrage and the effect of the psychological assaults he was being subjected to - although you can see him trying to in those early interviews. And the interviewers are so smug as they try to ridicule him in public - take a look at them in their suits and their brylcreamed short back and sides hairstyles, and their 'Can you believe this idiot?' interviewing style. Ugghh!