- - - - -

Kids Guitar Sizes

17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SportyGRocks

• Active Members

• 88 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

For the last few days I've been doing some research about guitar sizes. I've gotten some pretty good information and I'd like to share it with all of you, especially helping those who don't know the difference between sizes. For example, when I was buying my first guitar, I thought a 7/8 was bigger than a 3/4! (How dumb of me) That's why I'm making a guide on guitar sizes. Hope you like it!
Rough Guide-
Guitar Student Size Chart

Age Height of Player Size of Guitar
4-6 years old 3'3" to 3'9" 1/4-Size
5-8 years old 3'10" to 4'5" 1/2-Size
8-11 years old 4'6" to 4'11" 3/4-Size
11-Adult 5' or taller 4/4-Size

Another Rough Guide-

Overview
Acoustic Guitars

Age is only a very general guideline
3 to 6 years old - Half Size Acoustic Guitar
6 to 9 years old - Three-Quarter 34" Acoustic Guitar
9 to 12 years old - Student 36" Acoustic Guitar
12 Years to Adult - Classical and Concert Guitar
13 years to Adult - Full Size Acoustic Guitar

Electric Guitars

6 to 9/10 years old - Junior Electric Guitar
8/9 to 12 years old - Short Scale Electric Bass Guitar
9/10 Years to Adult - Full Size Electric Guitar
13 years to Adult - Full Size Electric Bass Guitar

Acoustic Guitars-
Steel String-
The most common are:

The Dreadnought
The Jumbo
The Grand Auditorium
The OM
The 000
The 00
The 0
The Folk
The Parlor

And many, MANY others some being copies or variations of the above.

Now, for the sake of this thread, in order to not overwhelm with too much data, let's sort of group these into 3 categories we can generally call, big, medium, and small. There is going to be a bit of overlapping but in very general terms, the dreadnought, the jumbo, the grand auditorium and the OM could be called 'big' guitars. They generally have large bodies, the necks join the bodies at the 14th fret, and they are 'full scale' guitars coming in somewhere around 25 inches in very broad terms. The dreadnought and Jumbo are the biggest of that group and by far and away the most popular steel string body style sold is the dreadnought. It a very large, loud guitar made for solid rhythm strumming and is best played standing up. It's very commonly used in Rock, Country, and Bluegrass.

In the medium group we could have the Grand Auditorium, the OM, the 000 and the Folk. These guitars will handle rhythm strumming but are probably best suited for finger picking. Many in this group do not have a pickguard. These guitars are also typically full scale and usually have the neck join at the 14th fret. They are more comfortable to play sitting down than a larger guitar and are often found in Rock, Country, Blues, and 'fingerstyle' jazz.

In the small group we have the 00, the 0, and the parlor. Another type of guitar we could put in this group are 'scaled' guitars such as a ¾ size dreadnought. Small guitars usually feature a shorter scale, the body and neck join at the 12th fret, there's usually no pickguard, and these guitars are best suited for finger picking and they are incredibly comfortable to hold and play sitting down. They are typically found in Blues and some fingerstyle jazz.

There is another category of steel string acoustic and that would be the jazz guitar, either a 'gypsy' jazz or an archtop. These models typically exceed the entry level price point of a first time player so I'm not going to address them.

Nylon String-
The nylon string guitar is basically placed into 2 groups, the classical guitar and the flamenco guitar. There is not near the selection of body styles and sizes. Typically there is a full size and a scaled size as in a ¾ classical. There are some other models out there such as 2 models of Parlor sized bodies from the Godin company, but the focus is really on the full size models.

All of the Acoustic Guitar information was gotten from this thread:
http://www.guitarfor...oustic-guitars/

I'd also like to say there are 7/8 guitars. I found a guitar that is 7/8 and this is the information it gives.
Recommended for ages 12 and up

Dimensions:
Length 40 inches
Width 15 inches (at widest point)
Depth 4.5 inches
Description:
Do you have an older child that would like to learn to play guitar? Would you like to learn how to play guitar along with your child? This guitar is a great choice for teenagers as well as adults, and is a great fit, too! Along with an instructional book or video tape, learning with your child can be a wonderful bonding experience.

This 7/8 size guitar is made for MusicForKids by Lauren, one of the world's best-known manufacturers of musical instruments. Features include: mahogany back, sides, top, and neck; rose wood fingerboard and bridge; adjustable tension rod; and it is equipped with 3 nylon strings and 3 steel strings.

NOTE: This is a classical guitar.

I was weirded out by that, because at GuitarCenter (buying my first guitar) the guy there said that a 7/8 guitar is smaller than a 3/4 guitar.
Pros, help me here?! I'll edit this after I get the REAL info.

Electric Guitars-
Electric Guitars

6 to 9/10 years old - Junior Electric Guitar
8/9 to 12 years old - Short Scale Electric Bass Guitar
9/10 Years to Adult - Full Size Electric Guitar
13 years to Adult - Full Size Electric Bass Guitar

I got that from the "Another Rough Guide" because that was the best I could find.

That's all! I hope this helps you all very much with guitar sizes. Posted Image
That sure was some hard work :sweatdrop

P.S. I wish I was sticky. But this isn't good enough to be sticky, is it? Posted Image
-Radhika

#2 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

Nice work SportyGRocks good of you to take the time to do it, looks like a sticky and will come in very useful, it's good to have the right fit especially when starting out as being comfortable is very important thanks for doing this:winkthumb:
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#3 OFFLINE   knight46

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,822 posts
  • Joined 21-February 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

Good job SGR, lots of good information, thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,021 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

Sporty,
That was some very good information. Very, very, well done young man. :winkthumb:
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#5 OFFLINE   SportyGRocks

• Active Members

• 88 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

I finally did something useful! :yeahhh:
-Radhika

#6 OFFLINE   JessThrasher

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,538 posts
  • Joined 23-February 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:39 PM

'though i'm 16, I even found myself quite clumsy with a Squier Jazz bass. I had to be a substitute bass player for my school's big band last week and I felt like that thing was going to hit the ground ANY second. So ages is NOT much of a guideline.
"Remember to eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends." - Rusty Cooley
"You can't play an instrument for the technicality of it. It's a tool you use it to get what's in here and here [heart and mind] out there." - Marten Hagstrom, Meshuggah

#7 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,021 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:20 PM

Sporty,
Is it young lady? Yes very useful.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#8 OFFLINE   SportyGRocks

• Active Members

• 88 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:38 PM

JessThrasher said:

'though i'm 16, I even found myself quite clumsy with a Squier Jazz bass. I had to be a substitute bass player for my school's big band last week and I felt like that thing was going to hit the ground ANY second. So ages is NOT much of a guideline.
I see. Thanks.

eddiez152 said:

Sporty,
Is it young lady? Yes very useful.

Yes, It's young lady. Sporty"G"Rocks G-Girl :)
-Radhika

#9 OFFLINE   jdpaz

• Active Members
  • 195 posts
  • Joined 14-May 07

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

I'm pretty sure that a 7/8 is larger than a 3/4.

Nice compilation, SportyG.

#10 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,021 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:57 PM

The 7/8 will be larger than the 3/4 size
Say Sporty, did you get your guitar yet ?
eddie

#11 OFFLINE   SportyGRocks

• Active Members

• 88 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

jdpaz said:

I'm pretty sure that a 7/8 is larger than a 3/4.

Nice compilation, SportyG.
Alright, I'll edit that.

eddiez152 said:

The 7/8 will be larger than the 3/4 size
Say Sporty, did you get your guitar yet ?
eddie

Actually, it's been cancelled. Looking for the guitar again..
-Radhika

#12 OFFLINE   joshimax

• Active Members
  • 306 posts
  • Joined 21-October 08

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:00 PM

Man! I hope you get that guitar soon.
Maton M225 Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop Orange Crush

www.mylifewithguitar.blogspot.com

#13 OFFLINE   SportyGRocks

• Active Members

• 88 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:49 PM

joshimax said:

Man! I hope you get that guitar soon.

:) I hope so too. :brickwall:
-Radhika

#14 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,021 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:11 AM

Sporty,
Have you actually picked out the guitar that you want with in budget.
I know we talked about it in the chat room before. But did you finally narrow it down your choice?

#15 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,021 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:17 AM

Here they show a picture chart on sizes related to this builder.

coomamusic | Alhambra Smaller Guitar Size Chart

#16 OFFLINE   SportyGRocks

• Active Members

• 88 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:36 AM

eddiez152 said:

Sporty,
Have you actually picked out the guitar that you want with in budget.
I know we talked about it in the chat room before. But did you finally narrow it down your choice?

Yes, I remember. I did order that guitar. But now I have some doubts.. I've got a final 2 now.
-Radhika

#17 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,021 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

So what are the final two?

#18 OFFLINE   SportyGRocks

• Active Members

• 88 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

eddiez152 said:

So what are the final two?

Same one as last time: Washburn DK20
and Ovation AE128
-Radhika

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users