carol m

Bit Sampling Rate in Mac GarageBand

carol m    64

I noticed in my iTunes that although commercially bought mp3s have a bit sample rate of 128 (normal mp3 rate) some of the tracks I made in GarageBand are at 1411kbps and the size of the tracks is huge eg 54MB for a backing track i made.

One track I made on real instrument is at 128kbps, but most guitar only tracks are at 1411kbps. However when I check the size after uploading them into GFB they are at much lower bit rate and size.

Downloads from other members show a variety of bit rates up to 283 Kenny's Wild Whisky Woman but none as huge as mine.

I don't understand why because they are all in mp3 format by the time they are exported to iTunes for uploading........aren't they??? Uh Oh, I think I've worked it out........!

I think the answer is that they are still uncompressed until I put them through Switch to convert to mp3's, but........ why doesn't that happen when you export a GarageBand project to iTunes when it's 'finished' (as opposed to when you 'save as' during the putting it together process so you don't lose what you've added to the project as you go).

And why doesn't it show the extensions in iTunes - I only discovered it by accident when I added 'Size' and 'bit rate' to my viewing options.

I know all you clever people will set me straight.....again - thanks in advance. :winkthumb:

eddiez152    129

Carol,

When you create a tune in Garage Band and use the share selection [send Song to itunes], it will send it there as a AIFF or typical to Wave file quality.

You must convert it to a compressed MP3 to send it to the site for example.

You will also see [Export Song to Disk]

Select that, now you will see this.

[ ] Compress

Compress Using : [Mp3 Encoder] or [AAc Encoder]

MP3= 3.6 MG at 128 kbps for example

AAC= 5.4 MG at 192 kbps for example

Then there is the quality selection.

[Good Quality] = 64kbps estimated size 1.8 MB

[High Quality] = 128kbps estimated size 3.6 MB

[Higher Quality] - 192kbps estimated size 5.4 MB

I can then choose export ..... and where to. Desktop if you want to find it quickly to upload to site as an example.

Hope that helped you.

eddie

Stratrat    0

Carol - from what you're describing my only guess could be that you're recording and exporting in 24-bit. That would explain the much larger file sizes, but I've never seen a 1411 kbps sample rate!

eddiez152    129

Strat,

Check a file you exported to itunes using share. Make sure your compress box is not checked. It will exported as a AIFF file when compress is not checked. I just did a file I am working on. The file is 3.50 minutes 58.1 MB 2116 kbps 44.1kHz Sample at 24 bit.

eddie

Procedure:

1. Record tune in Garage Band

2. Share tab

scroll Export Song to Disk................make sure BOX Compress is not checked.

eddiez152    129

I might also add that if you are sharing audio files for a collab, you want to send an AIFF or Wave file for best recording values and line up.

carol m    64

Thank you friends! You just saved me from needlessly filling my hard drive without knowing it.

Eddie: I think I'm about to upgrade my iBook G4 to iLife 09 so I get the better GarageBand. At the moment I'm running OSX 10.5.6 but the GarageBand is only 3.0.5 and doesn't have some of the more flexible editing features. It would cost me Au$129 to get iLife 09 which is a lot cheaper than drooling over the new iMacs!

Stratrat    0

Thanks, Eddie - right you are! Guess I've never noticed because I've always compressed/exported as mp3 into iTunes!

Carol - the new GarageBand does have some cool new features in it. My iMac came with an iLife '09 disc and I've been playing around with it. After you install it, make sure to go online and download the rest of the loops - they don't all come on the disc. Just click on one in your library that doesn't show as being included, and GB will prompt you to download the whole lot.

carol m    64

Eddie: I have just upgraded my iBook to 1.25Ram which is the max it will take, and it is an improvement and doesn't tell me I have too many tracks going after only 2 are done.

However........there is an iMac 20" on ebay which is currently on Au$ 460 with 2 days to go! I'm definitely tempted but I know I shouldn't

Apple iMac G5 20"LCD/2.1Ghz/2.5GB RAM/250GB/OSX Leopard - Model - MA064LL/A

20" Apple iMac G5 - 2.1Ghz.

250GB Harddrive. 2.5GB DDR2 SDRAM. Superdrive. Airport. Bluetooth and more...

In Excellent condition and running very well, this all-in-one computer desktop is running the latest version of Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6 and comes with a near new (current model) Apple Keyboard with numeric key pad and Apple Mighty Mouse.

This iMac 20" G5 also comes installed with a number of extra software programs:

The latest Microsoft Office 2008 (Excel, Entourage, PowerPoint,Word) // Adobe Illustrator CS3 // InDesign CS3 // Flash CS3 // Dreamweaver CS3// Adobe Acrobat 8 // Toast Titanium // And all of the Apple favourites like iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD.

He has burnt a disc of Leopard, but I don't know which GarageBand he has on it, and I wouldn't get the disc for that, so I wouldn't be able to download the extra loops Mac mentioned would I?

carol m    64

Have been doing some research on this model. It was released in Oct 05, and came with iLife05, a few months before a later model was released, but I didn't find details of what that model was. The reviews say this one doesn't have the Intel chip, but the one on ebay has Microsoft Word etc loaded. How is that possible?

carol m    64

I've found out that it is possible because Microsoft Word for Macs 08 uses a Universal ('language' thingy, whatever) which works on PC and Mac and can be loaded onto G4, G5 as well as the Intel chip range.

Stratrat    0
...He has burnt a disc of Leopard, but I don't know which GarageBand he has on it, and I wouldn't get the disc for that, so I wouldn't be able to download the extra loops Mac mentioned would I?

If it has Leopard 10.5.6, it should at least have iLife '08 - it's included with the OS. You can still download all the extra loops for that version of GarageBand, I d/l'ed them to my MacBook (with the '08 version of GB) almost a year ago.

The G5 may not be the "latest and greatest" from Apple, but that computer still has good specs. It would certainly be more than powerful enough for recording. The software alone that he's including would cost more than the purchase price of the entire computer if you were to buy them separately!

carol m    64

I'm not sure that that follows. My second hand iBook G4 has MacOSX 10.5.6 (no disc) but the GarageBand is 3.0.5 (104.10) which is the original ~2005 version. Don't know how that works!

In my iTunes library folder that came with it I have things like Extras or previous iTunes library but they either don't have anything in, or they are text files that mean nothing (lots of figures and numbers).

If you have any ideas if/how I can get extra loops etc for no cost, that would be brilliant..........that sort of thing always appeals!

Stratrat    0

My error, Carol - I just did my homework and discovered that while iLife is included on every newly-purchased Mac, it's not "integrated" as part of the OS itself as I originally thought. So it does make sense that you could have the updated version of Leopard and an older version of iLife/GB.

Sorry for the misdirection - I didn't have my facts straight. :oops:

eddiez152    129

Carol,

I did not pick any particular point here. Just pointing to the forum location where you might find a lot of great info on your Mac and Garage band as well.

Digital Audio [Archive] - Page 10 - Mac Forums

You probably know about this one already.

Mac 101: GarageBand

And here is another for ya:

The GarageDoor | All Things GarageBand

carol m    64

Thanks Eddie, I'll check them out.

Update on my ebay iMac temptations - i didn't bid on the non Intel iMac, but found a couple of beauties in a search. :helpsmili

One is iMac Core2Duo about one year old which is only at $220 with 5 days to go - the equivalent in a new one would be $2200........AAaahh!

carol m    64

Those are great links Eddie, thanks. I just realised I haven't played a guitar for 2 whole days! But i've been learning a lot of useful things.