OldManGuitarNewbie

Hanging a guitar on wall

I am very new to this. I have a Yamaha FG730 and plan to take it camping with me. There is very little room in my RV to store a guitar. I plan to place it someplace secure while on the road, maybe on the bed with a blanket over it, or in another secure spot. However, when we're parked I want to keep it more handy. I am not planning on taking the guitar case as it's too big and bulky. If you have spend time in an RV you will understand.:smilinguitar:

I've seen ways of hanging a guitar in the shops. Most seem to use a piece of leather (looks like a 6 inch belt) that connects to the top two tuning knobs. Then the leather piece is hung over a peg on the wall. My only concern is will the tuning knobs take that weight? I have also seen hangers designed to hold a guitar's head underneath, the part on the wall being a "Y" shaped affair into which the guitar neck it placed. That would seem a better design, but I do not have the room for a special hanger on the wall like that.......I already have hangers, really more like pegs, on the walls already, which is why the leather "belt" option is more attractive.

Ideas?

I don't know it I'd want to hang a guitar by a strap at the tuning buttons. Try something like the ones designed to hang from under the neck itself. They go for about $5-10 or so. Check Musician's Friend or just google guitar hangers. And I would at least get an inexpensive gig bag for your RV travels, a lot better than a blanket on a bed, those are less than $30 and a good investment, and will not add too much bulk and can be folded and stored when you need to. Good luck.

A soft fold-able bag might work, but the type hangar you suggest most likely will not. There is no room on the walls although there are existing hooks I could use.

If hanging my the head/tuning buttons is so bad, why do most of the stores I've seen do that? I don't want to harm my guitar, but it will have to fit into my RV somehow. The option is not taking it along, and I'd rather not do that. Maybe I will have to find or design another style hangar that supports the guitar other than just at the head.

I would at least get a gig bag to protect your guitar but with limited space you'll have to be creative. Had you thought about using bungee cords to secure it to the ceiling over the table or maybe a mesh bag hung like a hammock?

Don't like the belt idea. I tend not to allow anything to touch my tuners.

Many of the soft bags have straps or lugs already sewn in. If not then the local shoe and bag repairer will soon stitch a loop onto the bag for you. That way you're hanging the bag and not the guitar.

The don't actually hang by the tuners, they hang by the neck

48914.jpg

I've seen them hung in some stores as OMGN described, by a leather lace looped over the top tuners. I personally wouldn't be crazy about hanging my guitars that way.

A big +1 to the recommendation about gig bags, and Karcey's idea to hang the gig bag rather than the guitar itself. Anytime one of my guitars leaves the house, it's at least in a gig bag. They're cheap insurance against Bad Things happening.

I've just noticed a dent on my user. Some of you call it a beater. Not so for me ... I use it for most of my practice but I'd never mistreat it at all. Every time I go to a lesson it's secure in its bag. But now I see a mark on the back, Damn! Makes me more determined to impress on other players ... "Protect your instrument, keep it in a bag when you travel, keep it on a stand when you're at home. There's no status in owning a shitty, damaged and ill treated guitar. They don't play any better than a cared for one."

So to OldManGuitarNewbie I say Care for it as if it's alive. Hang it carefully if you must, but the care part is the most important.

Seeing a guitar hanging at all gives me the willys, (whatever the willys are).

I disciplined myself long ago to wipe down my guitar after each use and put it back in its hardshell CASE-period! If my guitar is out for practice hours, it's standing in a very secured stand nearby where I can watch it. (Mother hen here):yes:

Having lived the RV life for many years, I can guarantee you the last thing I would do his hang my guitar!!!! It just takes once to hear that klunk as you drive off realizing Oh Sh**t, I forgot to take the guitar down. Put it on the bed in a case, too many if's

Bob

this is probably the same as having a guitar on my sailboat (partially live aboard). i never leave my guitar out because you never know when even at the doc the world will fall on it. I have a place to lash a case to the bulkhead so it won't move around. It does take up space but i gave up taking most everything else when i go.

My preference in this situation would be to get hold of an abs case and fix that securely to the wall.

Then you have a guitar shaped cupboard.

Maybe you`d want to put it out of sight too - musical instruments on show are a temptation for all sorts of ne`er do wells :crying2:

Will

Trade in the RV for a Tour Bus

you could then charter it out with you as the driver and go on the road with some big name acts or axe ?

note to self: if I ever win the lottery do the above.

this is probably the same as having a guitar on my sailboat (partially live aboard). i never leave my guitar out because you never know when even at the doc the world will fall on it. I have a place to lash a case to the bulkhead so it won't move around. It does take up space but i gave up taking most everything else when i go.

Is your guitar case buoyant?

Don't like the belt idea. I tend not to allow anything to touch my tuners.

Many of the soft bags have straps or lugs already sewn in. If not then the local shoe and bag repairer will soon stitch a loop onto the bag for you. That way you're hanging the bag and not the guitar.

Excellent idea. I think that is the solution. Wall shape is so tight and floor place is about non-existent. Only RVers would understand! <g>

Now I'll go shopping for an inexpensive bag I can use in the RV.

Seeing a guitar hanging at all gives me the willys, (whatever the willys are).

I disciplined myself long ago to wipe down my guitar after each use and put it back in its hardshell CASE-period! If my guitar is out for practice hours, it's standing in a very secured stand nearby where I can watch it. (Mother hen here):yes:

Ah ha Mother, it's obvious you've not spent much time in a cramped RV! :dunno: Heck, when I bought a printer for my laptop I had to get a wireless one that would fit into a small cabinet - no room anywhere else for it.

I use a hard case for my guitar at home and whenever I'm not traveling in the RV. But storage is so very tight that I have to change things up a bit or leave the guitar at home; not something I want to do. I believe after reading through the good replies here I will get a bag style case and use that in the RV. I believe hanging it, not the guitar will solve my problem.

Having lived the RV life for many years, I can guarantee you the last thing I would do his hang my guitar!!!! It just takes once to hear that klunk as you drive off realizing Oh Sh**t, I forgot to take the guitar down. Put it on the bed in a case, too many if's

Bob

Go back and read the original post......that is the plan. The guitar will be perfectly stable while I'm traveling; the issue here is what to do with the guitar when I'm stationary in the RV.

No klunks for me! I've had that happen with a small TV once!:crying2:

I have been using one of those wall hangers for years and never had a problem swing strings I think it's called for both Violins and Guitars:yes:

Right, I understand those work very well, but the issue is I have no wall space for mounting one of these:

String Swing Wood Guitar Wall Hanger and more Guitar Stands and Wall Hangers at GuitarCenter.com.

My original question was about those belt type deals that connect to the tuning heads and can be hung on a regular wall hook, which I already have in my RV. I've decided it's probably not a good idea, and plan to get a gig bag into which I will put the guitar and hang the bag from a hook.

I case anyone is curious, I got a "gig bag" at the Guitar Center for about $20 that I can hang from a hook in my RV. The bag has a strap connector at just the right place to hang on the wall, so this ought to work out well for me. The bag is light enough that I could fold it and stick it away if I wanted.

Thanks for the suggestions that lead to this solution.

If you should decide not to hang the guitar on the wall and instead lean it against the wall just make sure that the strings are facing the wall. It may look weird to have a guitar facing "backwards" , but since the tuners are not leaning against anything, the guitar will not go out of tune.