MarkTiarra

Guitar Pro 5.0

LarryKu    0

I checked your website and saw that you appear to be a TablEdit user. If you have become accustomed to TablEdit's free form note entry, I believe you will find GuitarPro, PowerTab, and in fact most other notation programs somewhat cumbersome to use. That has been my experience. This is especially true if you are doing fingerstyle guitar scores using standard notation.

For single string (single voice) scores or working in tablature only mode, then take your choice as they all will do basically the same thing. The downside to TablEdit:

1. It is not a WYSIWYG screen display.

2. Non-standard bend display (screen and printed)

3. Incorrect spacing of triplets (screen and printed).

As I have registered versions of both TablEdit/GuitarPro and also PowerTab on my PC, one of these days I will have to create a comparison showing the strengths and weaknesses of each program.

I was rather excited to see that GuitarPro finally had very nice standard notation, but was disappointed when I saw how it was implemented. The RSE feature is certainly an improvement over standard midi on most PCs, but it only works when the tabs are played from the program. I much prefer the midi playback I get from my SB-Live! soundcard with customized soundfonts.

MarkTiarra    0

Wow thanks so much for the thoughtful response. I wasn't able to find a whole lot different on cursory use (other than noticing the bend notation as you point out) and you've essentially answered my question in full.

Again thanks.

I checked your website and saw that you appear to be a TablEdit user. If you have become accustomed to TablEdit's free form note entry, I believe you will find GuitarPro, PowerTab, and in fact most other notation programs somewhat cumbersome to use. That has been my experience. This is especially true if you are doing fingerstyle guitar scores using standard notation.

For single string (single voice) scores or working in tablature only mode, then take your choice as they all will do basically the same thing. The downside to TablEdit:

1. It is not a WYSIWYG screen display.

2. Non-standard bend display (screen and printed)

3. Incorrect spacing of triplets (screen and printed).

As I have registered versions of both TablEdit/GuitarPro and also PowerTab on my PC, one of these days I will have to create a comparison showing the strengths and weaknesses of each program.

I was rather excited to see that GuitarPro finally had very nice standard notation, but was disappointed when I saw how it was implemented. The RSE feature is certainly an improvement over standard midi on most PCs, but it only works when the tabs are played from the program. I much prefer the midi playback I get from my SB-Live! soundcard with customized soundfonts.

LarryKu    0

Mark,

If you use TablEdit and need any help, just PM me and we can make contact. I just recently finished putting the finishing touches to the tabs for a book that Daniele Bazzanni is publishing for his latest CD. I don't believe he has it printed yet though.

Daniel Bazzani