X4StringDrive

My connections

Since joining the RPM challenge the other day, I hooked up most of my toys to inspire some wildness{lol}

thought maybe this will help someone see the road to ruin recording can lead to{lol}.

My routing map {it's as simple as "out' from the 'source' to the "in" of the desired destination and so on}...

click on to enlarge...

[ATTACH]7940[/ATTACH]

starting from the "A" next to the guitar...

Guitar line "out" to the Behringer fx processor's line "in", from fx processor's line "out" to the

Alesis Compressor's line "in", from the compressor's line "out" to the Yamaha PA's line "in".

I connect one microphone thru another of the fx processor's line "in" and from there "out" to the PA as

well{ this is where I get some other vocal effects}.

The other mic goes straight to another PA port or the interface for a 'clean' signal. The Yamaha key board also has

it's own channel on the PA. From the PA's line's "out" these all head to my Alesis interface using two line "in"

channels for left & right. I could by-pass the PA and send{"out"} everything directly to the interface, but

the PA does have some cool effects and no sense letting it gather dust between any DJing jobs

{which are very few nowadays}. From the interface {where I connect my headphones} I send the digital

output via Firewire to my PC.

The Event Monitors also receive their signal from the interface's line's "out".

Finally I use Audition{along with other applications} to do my editing/mixing Etc. and when happy save

the files to an External HD. Everything is powered from a Furman power conditioner{the "s" shaped arrow}.

Two tip's and I'll leave you be{lol}...#1- you can never have to many cables or inputs, and #2 never let the

cat play in the rat's nest of wires :mad:

Edit: I forgot about my Alesis Drum machine{just found it again actually}...it goe's from it's line "out" to the PA too.

Now that is a map! Excellent guide but not too kind on the (my :winkthumb: ) credit card. And I thought you did it all with smoke and mirrors! That certainly is a nice set up.

How would you rate the Alesis fx vs compressor (does it do anything other than compress?) vs PA for usefulness in getting a good sound?

Thanks Eddie, With your skills you don't need a map anyways :winkthumb:

Thanks Carol, The damage on the 'ol credit card isn't so bad when you spread it out over a few years...

the buying not the payments{lol}.

since you asked Carol...

The Behringer fx{Virtualizer Pro} processor has a ton of useful effects IMO, from a multitude of reverb

options to delays/echoe's, Chorus', Flange/Phasers, pitch control, Vibrato/tremelo, fuzz, amp sim's, etc.

and was worth the $100+?U.S. I paid new years ago. The compressor to be honest has never been used

to it's potential, mainly from my lack of skills but also I haven't devoted enough learning to it. I bought

it also years ago, back in my bass guitar days, I just twiddled knobs till it sounded good to me, but now

thanks to some help from here, I'm going to try and understand it more thoroughly. It also is a limiter

which is begging to show me a few things if I would just spend the time.

The PA is great as to allowing more inputs, and has an awesome sound quality to it through it's speakers,

has two amplifers built in, 300 watts each and is bridgeable{can connect them in series} to give 600 watts..

more than ample to send a message to the neighbors{lol}. As for usefulness I would say very much, but none

of it 'is' needed for a good sound! At my current level of playing{just a hair this side of complete noob} I lean

heavily towards creating and/or masking my sounds to make them bareable, and the more goodies to choose

from the better, I say.

Knight, Thanks for looking, & LOL yes, I'm not much of an eloquent writer, just thought this may help someone

who like myself at onetime, had no idea how to tie everything in together. It all seemed so confusing at the

beginning..so many connection places with words like, in - out - Xlr - line - aux etc. etc...hope this simplifies it

somewhat for at least one person out there, if not, oh well, I still got a kick out of trying to find pictures on the

net from some of these discontinued items. :winkthumb:

That map is so useful Kenny cos one of the things I can't get my head around is how to link things together into the recording stream from guitar to computer. I currently have a new USB modeller unit and I have no idea how to connect it into the stream - I may have to start a new thread of my own and ask some pretty dumb questions - yet again. ;)

...#2 never let the

cat play in the rat's nest of wires :mad:

LOL! I have the same problem. Last week one of my cats got behind my office computer and stepped on the power strip button and killed everything. Grrr!

I finally got smart and started to spray the cats with canned air (scares the bejeebies out of them) whenever they get past me.

Our cat can be a pain also - but she hates the smell of aerosol fly-spray so if I really need her to leave me alone I only have to pick up the can and shake it as if I'm about to spray - works every time, and cheaper than actually spraying something - and is kinder to the environment.

I love the dirty glare she always gives me as she scuttles off at high speed.

Great ideas Steve & Carol,

My cat wasn't actually playing in the cables, merely laying amongst them and must of been totally exhausted to not hear me come in the room, for when I said "Hey what do you think your doing" it was like someone lit a fire under her...straight up in the air she went, as far as the desk would let her anyways, then back down with four feet flailing, each in it's own direction, each trying to take a cable to whip it's way free. It was{I'm sad to say} quite hilarious until I actually realized half my equipment was beginning to move across the desk and at that exact time and moment was when the lamp came unplugged leaving us in near total darkness, the cat tried to climb up my body and the dog who was awoken from the racket, came to my defense only to have the cat use him as a spring board to freedom from the room. Been three days now since I've seen the cat even remotely close to the room. But the compressed air can is getting a new home just the same Thanks! :winkthumb:

I can picture the scene - cat's don't have a sense of humour! Ecxcept....our cat used to have a sister - one day she bit through the wire on one side of my earphones. It couldn't be fixed. Ever afterwards she would actually look for any set of headphones I left un-guarded and would ruin them with one swift bite! She cost me at least 3 sets of earphones. One day she got squashed by a truck, and I thought that was kind of appropriate :devil2:

... One day she got squashed by a truck, and I thought that was kind of appropriate :devil2:

:eek: fer shame fer shame {lol}

Thought I would add an updated shot of the "terrain" my map portrays. Just bought the Mxl 990/991 condenser mics today..she's getting a tad crowed in here, I really need to get back to converting my garage into a studio{dang winter weather :crying2: }. Also ran a quick sound test/recording, and I'm totally impressed by the difference in clarity & sensitivity between the condenser's and my dynamic's...Your ears have been hereby notified :winkthumb:

[ATTACH]7963[/ATTACH]

Very cool! It sure is much more interesting to look at a diagram than a bunch of text and real pictures don't always show how everything is interconnected. Although, for complex setups making the diagram is no easy task.

I just gave it a quick go here.... Although, your setup is much better than mine. :D

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/tekker/zPosts/Funny/Recording%20Setup.jpg

-tkr

LOL Tekker, but I've heard some of your recordings, our 'maps' must of been switched in cyberspace...Thanks for taking the time with your lay-out, reminded me that I need 'more' cowbell :winkthumb:

Don't get distracted from your RPM madness, but if you have a spare minute, how do you make a map like yours Kenny - or Tekker - I assume it's some sort of software?

Hi Carol, sorry I lost the connection here again for a bit :reallymad::whistling the program I use is 'Printmaster platinum12', think I paid like $10 bucks or something for it years ago from a sales bin. Its a simple..ahhh I don't know how to descibe it, it does clip art, photo editing etc, for doing simple design work, you can import your own photos/clipart or use 1 of its 5 cd disc'. It has a text editor, tons of templates and did I mention it's simple to use :winkthumb: {probably why I don't have something newer...lol}

Don't get distracted from your RPM madness, but if you have a spare minute, how do you make a map like yours Kenny - or Tekker - I assume it's some sort of software?

Hi Carol,

I used Photoshop for my diagram and I stole the cool looking arrows from X4String's diagram. :D

-tkr