Rockerbob

Mr. Rockerbob's Wild Ride

Rockerbob    47

Here's the basics of how I record here in my basement.

I use a Power Mac Pro dual G5 computer running OSX 10.5 with 5.5 GB ram and 3 harddrives adding up to 1.5 TB. I have a Presonus FIREPOD interface connected via firewire. I use Digital Performer 6, MachFIVE2 and the Waves Platinum plugins bundle.

I use a Mackie 24*8 recording board and I have the 8 master busses connected to the 8 analog inputs on the firepod. I use a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors. I have a pair of AKG C414 mics, a bunch of SM58s and a few other mics.

I have a number of guitars, basses and amps. I always mic acoustic guitar and usually run electric guitar through a Line6 Vetta II amp and then into the board. Bass is almost always direct into the board.

Here's some pictures from my website:

Rockerbob Studio

carol m    64

How do you get 5.5GB ram into one machine? I'm struggling with the 512 on my iBook G4 - a trip to the Apple store on Monday I think.

Your set up seems very complicated, but by googling your equipment it is easy to see how it fits together - making recordings as good as yours though is a different matter altogether! Thanks for the info.

Nutty    1

Great set up and nice equipment there Rockerbob. It's quite timely cause my husband thinks I'm crazy wanting another guitar when I already have 8 (that he's noticed ;) Now I can show him your photos. Of course, if he knew what you produced with your equipment compared to what I produce..I would lose the battle right there!

Annette

Rockerbob    47

Carol - My Mac is not a laptop. Not a MacBookPro, but a MacPro. It will go to 8GB of RAM. The new MacPro will go to 32GB RAM.

Nutty - I tried to sneak in guitars, but my wife always found out anyway.

Thats an awesome set up RB, howdya fancy becoming a member of my jam club.

I always start to sweet talk my wife a couple of months prior to buying a new guitar. It's our silver wedding anniversary next year, so I buying my wife a nice diamond engagement ring (her oroginal ring was stolan a few years ago) I dont wear bling so a new American strat is my pressy. Oh of course I'm taking her to Egypt for a second honeymoon.

Rockerbob    47
Man dude......that's a lot of geetars. Where do your musicians set up to play?

I don't need much room, so I leave most of it for Carl. He likes to leap around when he plays. I also have a small booth, about 6' X 12' and then the larger home theater room if I ned to set up a band.

Rockerbob    47
Thats an awesome set up RB, howdya fancy becoming a member of my jam club.

I always start to sweet talk my wife a couple of months prior to buying a new guitar. It's our silver wedding anniversary next year, so I buying my wife a nice diamond engagement ring (her oroginal ring was stolan a few years ago) I dont wear bling so a new American strat is my pressy. Oh of course I'm taking her to Egypt for a second honeymoon.

I would like to join your jam club, but the commute is a bit long for me.

Kieren    0

Rockerbob

I really wish I had a set up like that. I'm envious! A couple of questions - on the Martin there seems to be a signature in felt pen - someone famous? And the wonderful Vox Mando-guitar - 1967 or 68??

Rockerbob    47
Rockerbob

I really wish I had a set up like that. I'm envious! A couple of questions - on the Martin there seems to be a signature in felt pen - someone famous? And the wonderful Vox Mando-guitar - 1967 or 68??

The old Martin is signed by a number of players only famous to me, but also signed by Tommy Emmanuel. The Mando-Guitar is most likely from the mid to late '60s, but I don't have an official date for it.

hb    0
Here's the basics of how I record here in my basement.

I use a Power Mac Pro dual G5 computer running OSX 10.5 with 5.5 GB ram and 3 harddrives adding up to 1.5 TB. I have a Presonus FIREPOD interface connected via firewire. I use Digital Performer 6, MachFIVE2 and the Waves Platinum plugins bundle.

I use a Mackie 24*8 recording board and I have the 8 master busses connected to the 8 analog inputs on the firepod. I use a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors. I have a pair of AKG C414 mics, a bunch of SM58s and a few other mics.

I have a number of guitars, basses and amps. I always mic acoustic guitar and usually run electric guitar through a Line6 Vetta II amp and then into the board. Bass is almost always direct into the board.

Here's some pictures from my website:

Rockerbob Studio

Gosh! I thought my computer menagerie looked like a spider web.....when I saw yours, I could have sworn that it was a pic of the inside of the space shuttle!!!!

Thanks for the pics!

hb

Rockerbob    47
Gosh! I thought my computer menagerie looked like a spider web.....when I saw yours, I could have sworn that it was a pic of the inside of the space shuttle!!!!

Thanks for the pics!

hb

I upgraded my main computer recently. I bought a new 8 core Mac Pro with the new Nehalem processors. Fast!

carol m    64
I upgraded my main computer recently. I bought a new 8 core Mac Pro with the new Nehalem processors. Fast!

How do you keep up? Your Special Powers again I supoose. ;)