carol m

Examples of my recording set-ups.

Here are four examples of the set-ups I have used for some early recordings. Please ignore my standard of playing - this forum is about the equipment and how a particular set-up sounds.

Although more complicated recordings can stand alone in their own threads, and use the suggested template at the top of the Forum, I have already bent the guidelines by posting several examples in this one thread, and not used the template :winkthumb: because my setups so far, are very simple, and all four of these are different set-ups.

All recordings are with fingers only.

I haven't worked out how to upload and then type below it, so all the uploads are at the end of this post.

1) Tiptoe thru the Blues a Kirk lesson, which is in the thread here

Set up:

• Takamine EG15SC cost Aus $1200 several years ago
  • with on board N4B preamp/pickup
  • Solid cedar top, solid mahogany back and sides
  • Set of Gauge 11 strings with a B string .014 as the top e string.
  • Cable ($25) direct from guitar to 'Line In' in back of computer. You can't get more basic than this - no effects whatsoever
  • DAW Audacity (free).

That thread discusses various sounds with different Audacity effects with samples.

--------------------------------------------

2) Carulli Andantino from the thread here

Set up:

Guitar: Yamaha G228 nylon string guitar - entry level Student Classical guitar costing Au$100 about 6 years ago.

Mic:

• Cheap microphone Optimus Dynamic MP500 (Au$45)
  • into XLR jack on an old model Tascam US122 PCI Audio Interface (bi-passes my standard computer sound card)
  • with USB connection to computer.

DAW

• Audacity (free)
  • with only a bit of Noise Removal and a bit of Compression. Sometimes using a lot of Noise Removal in Audacity can cause some distortion of the sound

-------------------------------------------

3) Goodnight Irene from the thread here

Set up:

Guitar: Takamine EG15SC acoustic/electric steel string (same as in Tiptoe recording)

Pickup: using onboard N4B pickup.

Tuning: DAF#DAD

Capo: 3rd fret

Connection: Lead from guitar into the Tascam's 'Line in' and then USB connection into a Mac laptop.

DAW Mac onboard music software (Garageband)

with their 'No Effects' setting

and a small bit of compression to try to even out the tone.

------------------------------------------------

4) Thread "My New Acoustic/Electric" here

This thread has the specs of my new Tanglewood TW15 solid spruce top and Fishman Classic 4 onboard pickup. It has some samples comparing its sound to my Takamine acoustic/electric through the Tascam US122. All the samples used Garageband software and their 'No Effects' setting. Samples in the thread also compare using a Microphone (the cheap Optimus Dynamic 500) to the onboard pickups of each guitar using the same Garage Band software settings.

----------------------------------------------------------

TipToeBluesOrig.mp3

Lefty Challenge 4.1- Carulli Andantino.mp3

Irene 1 take 1as mp3.mp3

Carol m,

No1. Recording was too noisey,

No2. Was the best in overall sound

No3. Too hot in the pickup. But quite as far as noise goes.

Just my opinion.

I'd be pretty happy with the clarity in number 2 if I was recording with that I'd be quite happy, the optimus did a good job for a cheap Microphone, preferred 2 to number 3 but 3 will probably turn out the best in the long run wouldn't mind having that set up, if you choose not to go with number 3 send me all the stuff, I'll give it a good home (LOL) Britain's in recession you know, times are hard I might have to busk to put bread on the table (might take a few weeks to get enough for bread LOL)

That second recording was back in the days of my mystery interference and was recorded during a brief window of no interference. I don't have any since I changed from wireless to cable. I also now have an MAudio Mobile Pre to replace the old Tascam - haven't posted a recording using it yet, but it seems fine - unlike the Tascam, all the channels work (left and right)

Carol,

What you should try, is the best tune you know well and play it using the different methods for better overall evaluation.

One tune, three times.

Carol, excelent job of recording with variables and detailing the equipment etc. used.

Should be a big help to anyone starting out, or considering starting recording their own playing.

Thanks aranen, yes it's taken me ages to get my head around the basics that you need.

For example I thought getting a better mic would help my recordings, but when other members (check out Doug's threads and attachments) posted threads giving sound samples of a range of mics I realised that an expensive mic vs a cheap mic was not worth bothering with at my stage of playing and recording - playing better was a much better, and cheaper, option for me.

Never a truer word.....

It can be easy to get caught up in spending more time worrying about and aquiring gear, than in playing.

Good guitars, amps etc. are nice and they might encourage us to try harder because we enjoy having them, but they don't in themselves make us better players.

Carol,

I agree with Eddie and Chris, I liked the 2nd the best although #3 was good as well. +1 to Eddie's remark about playing the same song different ways to better evaluate your system.