D-Dawn

Want to record BUT...

Doug    12

Yes it is amazing what a touch of reverb can do. It's a bit like salt, though - you don't want too much. I don't know if audacity allows you to add reverb or equalization etc. If not then I'd get something else sooner rather than later.

I have a presonus interface which has 8 inputs. So I have four mics always set up and record all of them. In the above clip, I disabled the track from my vocal mic as it was aimed head height and didn't add much from a guitar perspective. The third mic is in the centre and back further than the other two - it adds just a bit of ambience. Hard to hear but you can pick it out while listening and enabling/disabling the track. Just adds a bit more depth.

um, well kristal is free, and to be honest, like i said i havent used audacity for recording, just used it once or twice to chop some silence and add a reverse section to a song me and my band did at a studio (£250 a day and they didnt have a reverse cymbal plugin??!?)

Id definately check them both out, and they are both free, and kristal did all my recordings (again, in the members recording section i have posted two) reaper only reminds you to buy after your trial, pretty nice of them really!!

And like I said, if you do, and you want some help, just give me a PM and ill give you my email.

D-Dawn    0

Yep, I have Kristal on here as well, just haven't tried it out yet and its a lot to learn the differences between these programs when you don't know what you're doing to begin with LOL ...thanks for the offer I might take ya up on that! :)

SlickCat    1
When you say limited to one input at a time, what do you mean here? I have a preamp for 2 mics...if using both at the same time, it would only record from one? (for future reference of course)

(yes, I admit it..I am a complete recording noob..there I've said it and feel so much better.)

Im not too familiar with your M-Audio box.

On the back of your M-audio you have two outputs. Output 1 and output 2.

How are these connected to your computer? If its through a "Y" cable then into the stereo input of your sound card then both mic's will record sound.

Audacity can only record from one selected input at a time.

If the stereo sound card in your computer is your input,you are fine.

Many new USB recording devices have seperate inputs and outputs for each channel. On my Line 6 UX-2 box if I wanted to record my guitar on input one and have a vocal Mic on input two I need to enable two seperate inputs in the recording software. (which Audacity wont allow) Only one at a time is allowed. So first I play guitar; then sing though the mic to the pre-recorded guitar track.

Most Pro software like Reaper will allow multiple inputs to record all at once Vocals; Guitar; Bass; drums...and so on.

Hope that helps explain it.. ;)

Lcjones    8
Ok here's a couple samples....tell me what I'm doing wrong LOL :brickwall: heh not with playing the song wrong...the recording aspect of it!!

SoundClick artist: D-Dawn - page with MP3 music downloads

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I hope I posted that link ok..there are only 2 songs there ...

You are not doing anything wrong. You're learning. The biggest thing is understanding your equipment and it's limitations. And all equipment, whether it's 10 bucks or 10,000 bucks, has limitations.

Scarborough Fair came out quite nicely. Nice crisp guitar for the most part. There were several "boomy" highlights but the more you practice setting up mic's and mic'ing your guitar, it will go away.

Try moving and pointing your mic in different locations. Do this, so you can learn "where" you guitar's sweet spot is. Move your mic up and down the neck AND around the bridge. AVOID pointing your mic directly at the sound hole (that causes the boominess). Try different distances. 4", 6", 8", 12" away.... You'll soon "hear" where your guitar sounds best to you.

The second song would not play. (ack ... sound click...)

LC

Lcjones    8
just slightly confused ... i didnt read it was an Mbox.... Surely this would have a version of pro tools, therefore eliminating need for audacity / kristal or reaper?

While the "big" name transports, like ProTools are excellent, I'd stick with Audacity for now and for simplicities sake. Because you know it, D. As you learn more about the recording process and the recording vocabulary you'll know when to move to a higher end piece of software.

Although, there *is* something to be said for picking a package and sticking with it, learning it inside out. And that's exactly what you have to do. It's desperately hard to change horses in mid stream. ;)

LC

D-Dawn    0

I think I willstick with audacity for now as I have played with it enough to understand some basics. I have a nephew that went to a 10 week class for recording and they used pro tools and just talking to him on the phone about it assures me that at this point and for all that I'm using it for, Audacity should be just fine. Thanks to all who've tried to help! I'll get it right eventually!