D-Dawn

Want to record BUT...

There's always a BUT I know...Oh I just don't know where to begin!! (yeah I've read thru ALOT of posts lol)

This is what I have;

Acoustic guitar

PC (of course)

Audacity

M-Audio Audio Buddy dual mic preamp/direct box

MXL 990 mic

MXL 991 mic

I suppose my question would be..which of these mics would be best for recording guitar? :smilinguitar: and does anyone have posted here a kind of position layout/drawing/blueprint/pretty picture of how to set up the mic from where your actually playing...last time I tried it my bass was way too loud and it sounded horrible..I gave up but I'm ready again! What a waste of letting them sit here for almost a year!! (I goofed and only got one mic cable so even tho my preamp can handle 2, they both have to be plugged in! :isaynothing: )

Think this tiny set up will give me a decent enough sound to sahre a few tunes???

Thanks all!

...Think this tiny set up will give me a decent enough sound to sahre a few tunes???

Absolutely.

Of the two mics, the 991 would probably be better suited for acoustic guitar. I'd highly recommend purchasing the book "Recording for Dummies" (not that I'm calling you a dummy, D-Dawn!) ;) It has a ton of useful information about mic selection, placement, and many other topics, presented in a manner that's easy to understand and not overwhelming.

Hi Dawn,

I have those mics as well and they are great. They improved the quality of my recordings quite a bit. I do have pictures of mic placement for these mics from another site. Here's the quote from the guy:

"I have one mic positioned at the 12th fret, angled toward the sound hole. This minimizes fret noise.

A second mic is positioned just below the bridge, parallel to the face of the guitar.

The "sweet spot" (yellow "paint" in photo) will vary, depending on your guitar, the mics, and your playing technique.

Experimentation is a must, and sometimes a change of a 1/2" or a few degrees on the angle can make a big difference."

The "MXL:" logo should be facing the guitar. That's the front of the mic.

As mention above, these mics work great.

Hope this helps.

Annette

P.S. I also recommend the Dummies book. Lots of great info..helped me a lot. There is also a fair of information on effects (FX) as well.

7921.attach

7922.attach

Ah cool! Fast responses :) lol Thanks for the drawing Nutty!

I'll check out these sites and play around with it...I really want to record my progress more than anything after listening to an old recording and seeing how bad it was LOL

Arrrrrgh...I don't know if it is vista or what, but it won't let me record...I can see from the preamp that everything is working but when I hit record, I get:

Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and project sample rate.

I know I have playback because I listen to music constantly on this PC, I just can't seem to get it to record anymore...*sigh* lol maybe I AM a dummy!!

Ah I'm not the only Dell/ vista user that has encountered this problem...reinstalling drivers now so we shall see! Thanks for the ok k knight!

EDIT: That was it!! New drivers for the crappy Vista system and its a go :)

Great to hear things are going better, now waiting to hear your entry into the Recording Pool. Come on in the waters fine :winkthumb:

heh well here's a test for sound quality purposes only...I can't seem to get the bass from being overpowering so hopefully its just a mic reposition... :smilinguitar: some of you heard my earlier version of this song...

test1.mp3

Thought I stick this here. If you have a digital camera that also does movies, it will work to record yourself. Bonus is you get to see yourself playing as well as hear. Only drawback is sound quality, but it's not that bad. Here are a few I've done that way.

Thought I stick this here. If you have a digital camera that also does movies, it will work to record yourself. Bonus is you get to see yourself playing as well as hear. Only drawback is sound quality, but it's not that bad. Here are a few I've done that way.

The sound quality of your cam is actually better than the recordings I posted way back when!:claping:

Ok here's a couple samples....tell me what I'm doing wrong LOL :brickwall: heh not with playing the song wrong...the recording aspect of it!!

SoundClick artist: D-Dawn - page with MP3 music downloads

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I hope I posted that link ok..there are only 2 songs there and I haven't figured out how to post them individually. :dunno: One is really loud but the bass isn't too bad..and the other is quiet with booming bass here and there...LMAO please ignore the cat in the background!!

Try placing the mic above the guitar ( maybe between the soundhole and 12th) then angle down as if the mic appears upside down.....

placing off-axis like this should give a sweet but not too bass heavy tone to your recording. :)

HuH..dunno what it is but the "high pass filter" seemed to cut some of what I was trying to get rid of....

Exactly what it says.... a high pass (or lo cut) filter will cut the low frequencies and let the high through at a point designated by the filter setting (ie:yourself)

Good point to raise as many recordings benefit by cutting the frequencies below 50hz - taking the unmusical boom out but leaving the body and musicality intact. EQ can be used equally effectively...

If you already have an interface, why do you not use something abit better to record with?

I have NEVER used audacity to record with, however, I did attempt to and just found it a pain in the bum.

Many members here use Kristal or Reaper (as im sure, being a member longer than me you will be aware of) and although I have yet to sink my teeth into more than the visual aspect of reaper on my lappytop, the parts iv heard sound really good, and kristal is very good to use, because not only can you hear yourself whilst playing, you can watch for clipping and settle the EQ rather easily once you are done, and you can find parts that maybe should be recorded seperately and done at a lower volume / different eq setting?

All of the above is meant to be helpful (i feel i must explain this as im told im very patronising with my words!)

Best of luck.

P.s

Im not usually too busy very often, so maybe if you do get to using Kristal or reaper, you could email me the save files, and i could have a go at mixing / mastering myself to try and help, and it might help further for another pair of ears and eyes to see when and where as it happens in the mix?

(if you want to check my mixing capabilities, two of my songs are in the members recording sections, A Jaded Heart Lifted By A Serial Killer, and My Endless Sins [please look to my second one, MES2, posted further down the page!)

Thanks,

Collin

Thanks OldG for the info (heh I understand "high pass" when ya put in my language lol and mic position tip...hopefully I'll get to try that on monday when the house is quite again ;)

Thanks Collin! I just happened to have Audacity on this PC...and well, I used it! Is there that much of a diff in sound quality between it and Kristal? (they are both within my price range ;) )

Audacity is a great Free program.

Its limited to only one input at a time.

Its a great beginners program, easy to use and the sound quality is fine. I have done almost all my recordings on Audacity.

I recently upgraded to MixCraft.

Again MixCraft gives me more inputs when needed but is also easy to use.

Reaper is a real Pro mixing software....but for me was too complicated. I found I spent more time tweaking things and reading how to do something then I did recording.

Honestly, I just want to capture my ideas and songs, not become a audio Engineer :)

When you say limited to one input at a time, what do you mean here? I have a preamp for 2 mics...if using both at the same time, it would only record from one? (for future reference of course)

(yes, I admit it..I am a complete recording noob..there I've said it and feel so much better.)

I don't use audacity so can't answer your questions about that. I thought the sound quality was very good especially when playing the lower strings. Found it a bit thin right at the beginning when just playing treble strings. You may want to move your mic in closer and angle it slightly towards the sound hole.

I think it would be very worth your while to get the second cable. I'd use the big mic down on the lower bout of the guitar aimed just past the saddle and the skinny mic up at the 14th fret. (Very similar to the pic Nutty posted). I'd then have each mic panned hard left and hard right. I'd then add just a slight touch of reverb.

I've added some clips. 1) although made with two mics I have them both centred so it sound mono, 2) the same two mics panned hard left and right, 3) paned left and right with reverb added, and 4) same as 3 but with a centre mic added.

This was recorded on a nylon string guitar.

dd mono no reverb.mp3

dd panned left and right.mp3

dd panned and reverb.mp3

dd thrid mic in middle added.mp3