carol m

Is Any of this Software Worth Bothering With?

For recordings I use Garage Band, Audacity or Reaper. I have accumulated several software demo discs/bundles with various purchases of hardware and have no clue if any of them are worth installing and learning to use. So maybe members will have had experience with them and be able to give advice?

They are:

Pro Tools M-Powered 7

with DigiRack and Bomb Factory plugins

Live Lite 6 - (Ableton)

Pro Tracks with

• Cakewalk 32 bit DirectX deffects
  • Digitech X-Edit software
  • Integrated DXi soft Synth
  • Tassman SE synth engine
  • The FXPad joystick controlled fx generator

Cubase LE 1.07

Tascam Gigastudio 24

Has anyone had experience with any of these? I don't want to take up lots of computer space and spend time learning new DAW stuff unless any of them are better than what i use now.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.:)

ProTools is supposedly the "industry standard", but it's my understanding that it will only work with certain compatible hardware. If I was serious enough about recording that I had aspirations to produce professional-level stuff, I'd probably take the time and effort to learn ProTools....but since I'm nowhere near that level, I'll stick with GarageBand for now. :yes:

I've tried Ableton Lite and Cubase LE, and wasn't fond of either of them. I didn't find either of them to be particularly intuitive.

Hi Carol, Digitech X-Edit will allow you to adjust the settings and fine-tune the sounds on your RP-150 using your computer, rather than sitting it on a table-top with the manual in one hand.

Ian:walkman:

Thanks for that info guys.

Mac: I do have the hardware (:santa:) - an M Audio Pre USB which works great and replaces my old and dodgy Tascam unit. Currently I'm using it plugged into the Garage Band on the Mac. I heard an interview with Susan Vega who made her last CD using Garage Band and only used a studio for the fine tuning - I still have heaps to learn with GB so I'll stick with it on the mac for now.

Ian: that's interesting. How did you know I had been experimenting with the RP150 on a table with the manual in one hand?????

I haven't hooked it up to a computer yet because I'm still waiting for my hopeless yet new PC to be replaced. When that happens I'll connect it up and see what it does. All i've done with the RP 150 so far is play around with the drum machine stuff.

For recordings I use Garage Band, Audacity or Reaper. I have accumulated several software demo discs/bundles with various purchases of hardware and have no clue if any of them are worth installing and learning to use. So maybe members will have had experience with them and be able to give advice?

They are:

Pro Tools M-Powered 7

with DigiRack and Bomb Factory plugins

Live Lite 6 - (Ableton)

Pro Tracks with

• Cakewalk 32 bit DirectX deffects
  • Digitech X-Edit software
  • Integrated DXi soft Synth
  • Tassman SE synth engine
  • The FXPad joystick controlled fx generator

Cubase LE 1.07

Tascam Gigastudio 24

Has anyone had experience with any of these? I don't want to take up lots of computer space and spend time learning new DAW stuff unless any of them are better than what i use now.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.:)

Hi Carol--

I recently switched over to Pro Tools LE. When I made the switch, oh about 4 months ago, I was using v7.4. I recently upgraded to v8.0 as it just came out. Wow! is all I have to say. PT has totally redesigned the look. What used to be gray and 'cold' has really become much easier on the eyes. Some old time users from the Digidesign User Conference ('net forum) complain that now it looks more like Nuendo or something other than PT, but the vast majority of people are just raving at the looks. If you want to get PT, consider upgrading to V8.0

I don't have any experience with any of the others as this is my first trip into learning how to engineer with a DAW. I really like it. I'd been avoiding moving to a DAW because I felt the sound quality was questionable. Not anymore. They've really come a long way in a short period of time.

In short, I really like PT and am starting to record more than ever. The support from Digidesign and other users is outstanding.

Steve

Hi, Carol...

Any software that you can do multitracking in it is god enough to work with.. Don't search "the perfect" piece of software, 'couse there is no such thing.

In my experience, the best software is one you know well and one you familliar with.. ands in which program you will work fastest

I was try every software in market today, of course, I was started with the Steinberg Cubase, and any other I was just compare with it...

and eventualy I'm stop searching and realise that Cubase/Nuendo is best for ME, because I know where is everything and how to get there... ya know what I mean..

So... try all, and pick one that is the best for you, don't rely on peoples judge... here or anywhere on the net...

So, the list of software which is "the main players" is

Steinberg Cubase / Nuendo

Cakewalk Sonar

Pro Tools (Digidesign)

Garage band

Logic

good to know whats is on the market today:

Reaper

Ableton

Kristal

Audition

Sound Forge (this new one have multitracking possibilities )

All theese are Audio/MIDI capable accept Audition, Kristal and Sound Forge..

All other are full DAW sequencer in which you can do audio channels, MIDI programming, use effects... but there is slighty diferrence in plugin format..

VST is cubase exlusive, RTAS is Pro tools exlusive, DX is Sonar, so you need to be carefull because I see that these three software have intention that user won't be free to use other formats in particularlly DAW.. so ... choose wisely...

Aaaand another thing..

Pro tools is tied with hardware, for instance..

Full HD Pro tools will work only with digidesign hardware..

M-powered will do the job with M-audio hardware

Pro tools LE comes with m-box and 003 hardware

Garage band and Logic will work only on mac's

Nuendo/Cubase is multiplatform, Sonar likewise...

Reaper is independent from anything listed above... but.. still some things are not fully developed yet..

Ableton is live and loop oriented, but have pretty good audio and MIDI support, so you can do the production.. but... maybe rough for me..

Audition and Sound Forge are mainly wav editors... and then sequencers... but you haven't MIDI...

and so on, and so on..

P.S.

decisions... decisions...

My recomendation is Cubase essentials... is cheap and yet enough for some advanced work!

Feature Comparison :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH :: www.steinberg.net

I hope that I helped... :oops:

Hi Carol,

If you have the hardware to use Pro Tools, that may be the way to go. If you are interested, the Home Recording for Dummies (or is it PC Recording for Dummies...I have both) uses all the samples with Pro Tools. They use a MS based program as well, but I can't remember it right now. The book was still useful without the software, but it would be even better for you if you have the software. Not sure which version he used. Also, I this book isn't for "Dummies"...it is good for anyone starting out or trying to get a better handle on recording. If you are interested, I checked out the information for you.

I have not heard great things about CuBase..I know there was an LE version that came with my interface and they told me not to bother installing it. You will find though that there is no "One software does all (well) out there", but it's a heck of a good start.

Good luck.

Annette

Steve: thanks for that info on Pro Tools. I'll check out the forum and see what that shows. I think the M Powered 7 is a 'light' version, mainly because it came free with the hardware which didn't cost a fortune, but a bit of research on the net didn't really say that it was. Maybe I'll have to install it to see what it really has on it.

It says on it that it's a demo disc, and I don't really know what that means, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and do the installing to know. Thanks for that info.

Dejankuki: thanks for all that info! Like I said to Steve, I can see I will have to methodically try them out to see what they can do. At the moment I'm still getting to know Garage Band which will take me a while to explore and get comfortable with. It does so much that it's hard to imagine you would need a software that would do more, but now I think about it, there are things that it won't do........I'll keep these software programs in reserve until I get my replacement PC and then see what they will do. Thanks again.

Hi Nutty: yes I've heard that the LE Cubase is not worth bothering with so it's at the bottom of my list of ones I might investigate. I think any of the others might be useful for the PC as an alternative to Audacity and Reaper, so when I get mine back I'll try them out and maybe post what they are like. It won't be soon though.....I'm on the Garage Band learning curve at the moment.